Virgin High Flyer - supplementary card cancellation and annual fee refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

benhadi

Hi everyone,

Wondering whether anybody has any experience dealing with Virgin High Flyer card.

Took this up 2 months ago, and added supplementary card at the cost of $89. Wife used the card a few times, but no longer needs this (as we have other cards). Called Virgin today to cancel her supplementary card and expected to be refunded the pro-rated amount of the $89 annual fee for the additional card, and was told this is not possible and as it is an "annual fee" and she has had the benefit of using the card = no refund at all.

Is this right? I find it a pretty flawed argument, for one, and considering other providers do a pro-rated refund i am not sure whether i have been told the correct information, and whether this is legal. Should i pursue this? ACCC? FOS? Ombudsman?

Appreciate your advice.

BenHadi

Hi everyone,

Wondering whether anybody has any experience dealing with Virgin High Flyer card.

Took this up 2 months ago, and added supplementary card at the cost of $89. Wife used the card a few times, but no longer needs this (as we have other cards). Called Virgin today to cancel her supplementary card and expected to be refunded the pro-rated amount of the $89 annual fee for the additional card, and was told this is not possible and as it is an "annual fee" and she has had the benefit of using the card = no refund at all.

Is this right? I find it a pretty flawed argument, for one, and considering other providers do a pro-rated refund i am not sure whether i have been told the correct information, and whether this is legal. Should i pursue this? ACCC? FOS? Ombudsman?

Appreciate your advice.

BenHadi

If you buy a Mars bar and eat half of it and then take it back to the store, do you really think they will give you a 50% refund?

If you buy a 12 month gym membership (which is at a discount compared to monthly membership) and half way through you want to cancel, do you expect them to give you a refund?

You bought a 12 month supplementary card product. I see no reason why you would get a refund. In Australia change of mind refunds are not required by law. Only for issues such as if the item is faulty, not as described etc. Some banks may give a pro-rata refund as a gesture of goodwill, but this is not required. If they offered you to pay the supplementary card fee every month instead of every year, I am sure the fee would be higher. You can't expect the best of both worlds.

I take your point, but my experience with other providers have always been pro-rata.

I guess this serves as a learning example for others that are considering Virgin credit cards. I personally find it quite poor form of them. For the primary account, perhaps it's reasonable but for supplementary cards? Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back