Virgin Australia lounge access for AMEX Plat Charge supp card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFlyer

Established Member
Hi all,

I know that the AMEX Plat Charge card provides access to VA domestic lounges, but the T&Cs seem to imply that the perk is only for the primary cardholder (not a supplementary cardholder flying by themselves).

Have any Plat Charge supplementary cardholders on here had any luck accessing VA lounges using their card?

Obviously, I know that one supp. cardholder can get a free Priority Pass card (good for free food and bev in SYD and BNE), but VA lounge access would be nice to have. :)

I know that the AMEX Plat Charge card provides access to VA domestic lounges, but the T&Cs seem to imply that the perk is only for the primary cardholder (not a supplementary cardholder flying by themselves).

I agree with your reading of the T&C's, so it shouldn't be considered a benefit, but I'm aware of one non primary card holder that has been making excellent use of the VA lounges on their own...

I've never had an issue getting supp's in. I don't believe VA can tell who's a supp and who's not, they just check that you have a card and the name matches the boarding pass. YMMV

Good luck

Thanks both! Am currently weighing up the cost/benefit of the card as $1,200 is quite the annual fee, but my VA Gold will likely slip to Silver soon, so having VA lounge access saves a few hundred $s on paying for VA lounge membership, and I'm sure my partner would also appreciate having access when flying on her own. :)

Bear in mind that you get $300 travel credit on the plat charge and if you get the companion card (Platinum Reserve - free with the charge) you get another $400 travel credit which, as long as you spend more than $700 on travel each year and can use the credits, brings the cost down to $500.

Also, some professional associations have the platinum charge at a reduced rate - i.e. through CPA Australia I got the platinum charge for $950 which makes the "benefit cost" $250 given the aforementioned credits. Finally, I've gotten significant value out of the Amex merchant credits (i.e. spend $300 get $50 back at Harvey Norman, Shop Small etc.)...All in all, I'm a big fan of this card.

All the best.

By shifting personal spend onto the Reserve/other cards, I'm using my Charge almost entirely for business expenses. As long as my accountant is agreeable, I'm hoping to make my card turn a profit even before statement credits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back