Answered - VA - How to know if an international flight is short or long haul ? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Answered VA - How to know if an international flight is short or long haul ?

Ade

Hey everyone,

So, I'm new to VA and trying to understand how to know if an international flight is short or long haul ? I understand, the classification is based on the distance between origin and destination. Does anyone know what's that distance?

Also in VA website, classifications are as follows ;

1. Domestic - clear, any flights within AUS
2. Trans Tasman - clear as well, any flights to/from NZ
3. International Short haul - not sure, how far qualifies as a short haul
4. International Long haul - same as above

And, when trying to calculate the status credits - I find it a bit difficult, when trying to calculate for partner airlines.

For instance, a return flight from SYD to DEL on Singapore Airlines for fare classes Q and H - My interpretation of the tables on the "Status Earn Tables" page tells me that ;

1. Q and H are discount economy fares on partner airline (SQ), in this case, and that's where my understanding stops
2. How do I relate the Q and H as a Discount Economy fare to the status table? I ask this because, the status table only has categories like Getaway/Elevate/Freedom etc and not Discount Economy/Full Economy etc

Thanks in advance for all your replies and assistance :)

Ade

Last edited:

HS-TQE

Intern
Also in VA website, classifications are as follows ;

1. Domestic - clear, any flights within AUS
2. Trans Tasman - clear as well, any flights to/from NZ
3. International Short haul - not sure, how far qualifies as a short haul
4. International Long haul - same as above
3. International Short Haul, that would be the Pacific Island flights (Fiji, Tonga) plus PNG and Bali.
4. International Long Haul: That would be their Syd/Mel - Hong Kong and Syd/Mel/Bne to Los Angeles flights

Ade

3. International Short Haul, that would be the Pacific Island flights (Fiji, Tonga) plus PNG and Bali.
4. International Long Haul: That would be their Syd/Mel - Hong Kong and Syd/Mel/Bne to Los Angeles flights
Thank you for that information. Quick question, if Bali is short haul, so is SIN/KUL/BKK/CGK are also short haul?

Saab34

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
If it’s on a 737 it’s shorthaul. 777 it’s Long Haul.

Codeshare ports such as SIN etc are earns under ‘International Long Haul’. Sadly Virgin only flies to HKG/DPS in Asia.

Discount Economy on SQ earns under the lowest class on VA’s International Long Haul Table ‘Getaway/Elevate’

Don’t worry the website is terrible and not clear to the infrequent user!

AIRwin

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map

Here's the official definition:

Last edited:

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chippo2008