USA return now $729

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by ozfflyer, Mar 16, 2019.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. ozfflyer

ozfflyer Member

Dec 22, 2018
    new lowest fare east coast OZ to LAX/SFO being advertised this am. Says on sale to 29 March. For departures between July & September school holidays.

If airlines are having to go this low, then how bad is the economy really ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1

2. blackcat20

blackcat20 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Airline info would be useful?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ozfflyer

ozfflyer Member

Dec 22, 2018
    unfortunately it's air nz, but other airlines will surely follow, especially Fiji Airways who are a much better airline IMO.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. ozfflyer

ozfflyer Member

Dec 22, 2018
    put in a few dates & seems to be quite a few seats at that price. Sign of the times I guess.

5. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And a link also useful so could just copy, paste and forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. cjd600

cjd600 Active Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney
    Advertised where?

7. clipped_wings

clipped_wings Active Member

Feb 7, 2016
    central coast nsw
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think the price of airfares to USA is in direct proportion to the amount of money you have to pay to buy a US Dollar.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ozfflyer

ozfflyer Member

Dec 22, 2018
    #8 ozfflyer, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    not really.

The AUD$ to USD$ rate was exactly the same on 9 SEP 2018 as is now.

XE: AUD / USD Currency Chart. Australian Dollar to US Dollar Rates

Think airlines can see that disposible spendingh is plummeting & fear the result of the federal election in May. Business confidence is also plummeting.

Some airline can cut services, which might be next, eg. BNE/LAX with Qantas 10/week, can be cut to daily & Air NZ, AKL/LAX can be cut from 2-3 days nonstops daily to daily plus AKL/RAR/LAX

DL & VA codeshare BNE, SYD, MEL/LAX so something might give SYD/LAX where both currently doing daily & yet BNE & MEL/LAX aren't daily.

Many holidays in USA are actually cheaper in AUD$ than they were when AUD$ was stronger, in other words, places that get lots of Australians, adjust their prices to suit the exchange rate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. clipped_wings

Feb 7, 2016
    central coast nsw
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I was being facetious, but appreciate your intrepid reply.

I can't agree with the above quote though. We have been spending 3-4 weeks all across the States every year since 2008 and I am yet to see a US itinerary that aligns itself to our fluctuating exchange rate.

The Australian Government is rubbing its hands together in glee with the free-fall of the AUD. If they had their way, it would be low 60's. And at that point - a voluntary holiday in the States becomes cost-prohibitive. Unless they coax us with a cheap airfare of course.............

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ozfflyer

ozfflyer Member

Dec 22, 2018
    what freefall. The AUD$ is fairly stable against the USD$.

January is Australians month at many ski resorts in USA & many adjust their pricing to suit. They don't want the resort to not fill up with Australians, as from around 2 or 3 January, Americans go back to work, college, school & if it wasn't for Australians/Kiwis there would be very few people at some ski resorts in January, except on weekends.

BTW-have been spending 3 to 4 weeks every year in North American since 1985.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. cjd600

cjd600 Active Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney
    Any chance you'll share where this is advertised?

• Like Like x 1
  12. clipped_wings

Feb 7, 2016
    central coast nsw
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #12 clipped_wings, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Are you suggesting the AUD hasn't tracked southbound for the lowest point in ages over the last few years? It may hold steady at 70 today, but that's not how I would describe it's tangent over the last 12 months.

You also omitted the word ski resort - not my area of expertise, so we'll have to agree to disagree. Our next trip is January 2020. I checked every day for January 2019 to gauge the prices. January fares to the States seem to be exempt from many of these offers, but I await the next Virgin sale with anticipation. I sure hope that you are right and the fares are reasonable and the dollar holds steady. I've felt the sting of 45c in the dollar before. It's not a good feeling.

13. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Was this actually ‘fake news’?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jbman

jbman Member

Jun 18, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    There ya go - thanks for posting - now I simply need to copy and paste into an email to a group of family and friends I regularly furnish with super low prices deals - posting the link makes it so much better - tks again jbman

• Like Like x 3
  16. clipped_wings

Feb 7, 2016
    central coast nsw
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Mr Clipped and I did one of these runs ex SYD in 2005. The return trip averages 17.5 and 20.5 hours respectively (via AKL). I didn't mind at the time because I was happy to pay the lower fare. But the journey was long and quite arduous in an economy seat.

17. ozfflyer

ozfflyer Member

Dec 22, 2018
    everywhere. Saw it down as low as $700.

18. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  19. ozfflyer

ozfflyer Member

Dec 22, 2018
    if you think the AUD$ vs USD$ is heading south, simply pay for everything now & buy some USD$

Prices drop dramatically for departures around 8 or 10 January.

For departures 1-7 or 9 January - this is when demand is highest & airlines have to make some money sometimes.

This is how I see it & have been buying Xmas flights for 34 years now.

Xmas Day used to be cheap, until the rocket scientist at airlines realised, that most people wanted to be at their destination by 23 December or depart after 25 December. Finally some airlines have cut their flights on 25 December.

30 & 31 December departures are always much cheaper than departing 1 January. It seems many people think they are going to have a big NYE. Last time it was around $600 per adult more to depart 1 January cf. 31 December. It's just fireworks.

Was talking to a wholesaler about flights to LAX in Xmas school holidays on Friday. They said they'd get back to us with options today. Some flying from Brisbane, some from Sydney. Will post when they email the info.

Doubt if any virgin sale will come close to wholesalers deals. We've always found much cheaper deals offline than online in busy school holiday period.

20. ozfflyer

ozfflyer Member

Dec 22, 2018
    #20 ozfflyer, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    am on too many airline, travel agent & wholesaler email lists. It's obviously the same fare, but some are discounting it more than others. Some of them, I'd never book through. List Best jet, they might have an Australian phone number, address & ABN/ACN but if you phone them, you generally get answered overseas. I want to only deal with someone local, who's easy to get hold of on the phone, if I need to.

That said, one of the wholesalers, we deal with often, says put everything in writing in an email & then they'll get back to us fast. Get the impression, they don't want tyre kickers wasting their time on the phone.