United island hopper across the Pacific | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

United island hopper across the Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvedon

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Thanks Foreigner, that's a trip added to my bucket list. Have often wondered what those islands are like as they glide across the inflight map on the Trans Pac flights.

Last edited:

smit0847

Established Member
I don't see the point of it if you can't visit the islands you are flying to?

kelvedon

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Does anyone know if this is possible and how much the cost would increase?
I think the article mentioned that they only flew this route a few times a week, so to spend a few days on each island would make the trip several weeks long! Plenty of time to compile a trip report Robinson Crusoe.;)

You can start your planning here.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/flight-search/book-a-flight/results/rev?f=hnl&t=gum&d=2016-01-24&tt=1&fm=2016-01-24&co=1&sc=7&px=1&taxng=1&idx=1

Glider_

Flights
My Map
I caught a snippet of this route early last year between GUM-TKK. Economy was chockabock in both directions with tiny seats and large locals filling them. It had a very 'community bus' like feeling and I would not have been at all surprised to see a live chicken onboard. Coming into TKK was exciting and beautiful with dark storm clouds around and beautiful blue deep water, then coming in what seemed to be incredibly low almost touching the water then suddenly SURPRISE there's the runway and we're landed.

The 'terminal' in TKK has been recently re-done courtesy of ?China, and is a large rustic un-airconditioned wooden hut with shiny white tiles and an old local man trying to sell you shells out of his backpack. Security is a simple walk-through metal detector and a row of uniformed and armed men respectfully pawing through your carry-on.

TKK (Truk, also known as Chuuk) is a scuba divers paradise with some incredible history but only couple of days worth of things to interest non-divers. I found the flight GUM-TKK to be exciting and fun and only took about an hour, and that was exactly enough for me. I definitely wouldn't enjoy doing the entire island hopper experience but each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kozera