Understanding Expert Flyer | Page 5 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Understanding Expert Flyer

Danger

AFF Supporter
Does EF take into account your QFF status level? Expanded award availability is a known benefit.

Happy wandering
Fred
I believe it does, yes. You can enter your FF tier on your account page from memory and mine is set to Platinum.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
In my experience expertflyer has never taken my status into account regarding award seat availability on QF.

it definitely does (sort of) with seat maps however.

Last edited:

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Earlier this week, I contacted ExpertFlyer about a matter of viewing award availability. Here is an extract of their reply:

"… Also the QFF# on your account is for seat map searches and has nothing to do with the award searches …".

Danger

AFF Supporter
Well there you have it. You were right, wandering_fred.

get me outta here

AFF Supporter
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Just wondering if anybody with EF is able to tell me what PE seats are available on AA72 on 30 August, tomorrow please?

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
It is years since I helped out with these requests and I have to say again PLEASE make it easy for us by telling is the departure and arrival airports as expertflyer requires these. I can find it out using another tool (in this case FR24) but you already have this info!
Avauilability: J0 R0 D0 I0 W3 P3 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7
Codes here:
1567077525587.png
Seatmap as below:
1567077456573.png

get me outta here

AFF Supporter
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Thanks so much. So, 10L not being coloured blue is avaiable? Daughter offered it at online check in for $279.

get me outta here

AFF Supporter
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Sorry, not used EF before.

It is years since I helped out with these requests and I have to say again PLEASE make it easy for us by telling is the departure and arrival airports as expertflyer requires these. I can find it out using another tool (in this case FR24) but you already have this info!
Avauilability: J0 R0 D0 I0 W3 P3 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7
Codes here:
View attachment 184864
Seatmap as below:
View attachment 184863

ChrisMars

Looking at the seatmap and inventory of a QF flight, I am having difficulty understanding how I can best estimate the number of seats available the inventory and the seatmap is telling different storiers

For one flight, I see this inventory with little availability in J, but lots on the seatmaps
1569666310937.png

1569666346980.png

More seats available than inventory, maybe some pax didn't select the seat yet? But on another flight the previous day, the situation is exactly the opposite: a fair bit of inventory, yet much less "occupied seats"

1569666439359.png
1569666581880.png

Does anyone understand how the relationship between seat maps and inventory works (at least on Qantas)?
The blocked seats (X) are also a bit of a mystery for me, anyone knows how to interperte them on Qantas international?
Thanks!

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Looking at the seatmap and inventory of a QF flight, I am having difficulty understanding how I can best estimate the number of seats available the inventory and the seatmap is telling different storiers

For one flight, I see this inventory with little availability in J, but lots on the seatmaps

Does anyone understand how the relationship between seat maps and inventory works (at least on Qantas)?
The blocked seats (X) are also a bit of a mystery for me, anyone knows how to interperte them on Qantas international?
Thanks!
The seatmaps will always show more vacant seats than there are tickets available because some people won't be allocated a seat until checkin.
No shows may never be allocated a seat.
Blocked seats may mean they are not available to someone with your status.
However on the maps you posted it looks like all the cabin is available.
So some of the blocked seats may be "shadows" - empty seats next to frequent flyers which will only be filled as a last resort.
15 J&K might be crew rest.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
@ChrisMars with QF1, QF2, QF10, QF9, QF11 & QF12 you need to look more closely as they are "direct" flights with a stopover.

So for QF1 you need to look at QF1 SYD-SIN, QF1 SYD-LHR & QF1 SIN-LHR for both seat maps and availability. That is six queries.

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Also note that in some cases they may be willing to sell J tickets and expect to accommodate some of the J ticket holders in the F cabin. So seeing something like F2 J2 could mean there are 2 unsold F seats and J is full, but they are willing to sell those two seats as either F or J fares.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
@ChrisMars with QF1, QF2, QF10, QF9, QF11 & QF12 you need to look more closely as they are "direct" flights with a stopover.

So for QF1 you need to look at QF1 SYD-SIN, QF1 SYD-LHR & QF1 SIN-LHR for both seat maps and availability. That is six queries.
If you look at a flight such as SYD-LHR which is comprised of multiple sectors it will show you the lowest number of seats available on a component sector.
So if you are looking for a seat on the whole flight that may be enough.

However in general expertflyer is a useful tool for many things but it is of very limited use for calculating your chances of an upgrade.
There are many flights on which there may be as many as 12 seats available in J but as many as 68 commercial upgrade requests.
And it is specifically on QF 1,2,9 & 10 where such figures are common.
Those requests won't show in Expertflyer.

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Is anyone able to explain what seems to be an anomaly in EF showing/not showing QF U bucket availability depending on whether you search for Award & Upgrade Availability or Flight Availability?

They match for X but U is absent from Flight Availability - and it seems to be across all dates into the future that I randomly checked.

See snips below.

EF a&u.JPGEF avail.JPG

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
JohnM, if no response, here, you can also ask ExpertFlyer>FAQ/Help>Contact us. They usually respond fairly quickly.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Is anyone able to explain what seems to be an anomaly in EF showing/not showing QF U bucket availability depending on whether you search for Award & Upgrade Availability or Flight Availability?

They match for X but U is absent from Flight Availability - and it seems to be across all dates into the future that I randomly checked.

See snips below.

View attachment 195800View attachment 195801
Because U is hidden from the usual availability search.
That's why the award/upgrade search tool exists.

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
JohnM, if no response, here, you can also ask ExpertFlyer>FAQ/Help>Contact us. They usually respond fairly quickly.
There's no need for me to do that, as I can see what I want to see. But (and this answers @esseeeayeenn as well), in the past U would show in Flight Availability. Furthermore, it seems strange that X shows and U doesn't.

Just puzzled why it splits out when it didn't used to.

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
There's no need for me to do that, as I can see what I want to see. But (and this answers @esseeeayeenn as well), in the past U would show in Flight Availability. Furthermore, it seems strange that X shows and U doesn't.

Just puzzled why it splits out when it didn't used to.
As esseeeayeenn says, things have changed (recently), and also according to my interaction with EF.

Last edited:

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaeess