Two weeks on, and Delta is already cutting flights

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by oz_mark, Jul 19, 2009.

1. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Two weeks on, and Delta is already cutting flights

Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisementsMoreā€¦

2. Slats7

Slats7 Active Member

May 9, 2009
    Australia
    Not a good sign.

3. No news of UA reducing frequencies out of AU, hmmm? ;)

4. ANstar

ANstar Active Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sydney
    YOu would think they would have known about the 777LR needing MX before they launched this route.... or even better, the could sub it with a 772er... sounds like it is more about loads during the off season than MX.

5. odysseus

odysseus Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Who knows; it's a bit early for any established player to move.

6. Sunstar320

Sunstar320 Active Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Mel
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Without doubt you are right, and of course the media will see right through it... just like Jetstar's "Swine Flu" Excuse to scrap piles of empty Japan bound flights.

Early signs that its only going to get worse for DL. I doubt we will see this service return

7. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That's why the proposed JV between VA & DL is probably important for both airlines. Otherwise somethings gotta give. Even with the JV, it may not guarantee continuation of DL services, in fact maybe the opposite and make it a lot easier for DL to go down the AA/QF path with VA/DJ.

8. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear Established Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I am wondering whether they are going to send a different 777 that is used on another route for repair and using the 777 that was for Australia on that route.

But it doesn't look good.

9. Dee Thom

Dee Thom Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Sunshine Coast-Yes!!
    That's why the proposed JV between VA & DL is probably important for both airlines.
    I agree with you dajop, seems the obvious way to put bums in seats, and DL can utilise the excess metal elsewhere.
    Cheers Dee

10. fortymilliondaggers

May 1, 2007
    Didn't you read the article, Dee? There is no excess metal.

11. Nigelinoz

Nigelinoz Established Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Eskdale,Vic.Nr ABX.
    Not that this means anything but a client who flies to the US and return very regularly has told me that the Delta timetable has daily flights restored from mid December onwards.
    My contact was on a flight last week and reported an almost full aircraft and said it was a great flight with good food and friendly crew.

12. Snowmoo

Snowmoo Intern

Feb 18, 2008
    Canberra
    Well the two flights that I know of where people have travelled on DL between syd and LAX have been totally full.

13. ANstar

ANstar Active Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sydney
    I'd expect them all to be full given it is shcool holidays and high travel season.

14. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    My partner flew on DL between SYD and LAX and they were full in both directions, including an op-up from SYD-LAX. However full flights when fares around the $1k mark are being offered doesn't necessarily mean high yielding/profitable flights. If the J cabin is empty (or full of elites with comp upgrades) then that wouldn't auger well.

15. auriga

auriga Active Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Does not look good indeed.:(

16. Nigelinoz

Nigelinoz Established Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Eskdale,Vic.Nr ABX.
    What is going on here? An airline announces that it is cutting one flight for a period of 3 months and all of a sudden it's viewed as some portent of doom for DL.
    Has anybody here actually heard of taking what an organisation says at face value and actually believing them when they give the reason as due to maintanance requirements?
    Perhaps those here who apparently have such great insight into the airline business would like to read between the lines of this story.

United feels heat but vows to stand firm

17. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Well said NIGELINOZ.

18. file51

file51 Active Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Sydney Australia

Ditto to the above.

..adding to that, I have a friend who works for Delta in the U.S. and whilst they havent given any exact numbers, they say that loadings for the next 2-3 months are very, very good, more than expected.

Read into that what you will

19. Snowmoo

Snowmoo Intern

Feb 18, 2008
    Canberra
    Well I met Mrs Moo at Syd this morning after getting off QF12 from LAX. They came from Atlanta via LAX.

Same plane from Atlanta all the way to Syd. Mrs Moo mentioned that economy was packed, but Business was nearly empty.

She cracked it bigtime when i told her that I had been op-up'd for a second time in a row from LAX to Syd. I looked fresh and she hadn't slept.

20. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Isn't that the sort of thing that you don't tell wives unless you want to lower your life expectancy :?: