Travel related companies that surcharge for credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
It's always difficult to keep up with who surcharges and doesn't surcharge for credit cards when booking travel. Perhaps a thread like this is a good place to keep tabs on what is happening. Here are some examples:

Rental Cars:
Hertz - 0.8% on all credit cards in Australia.

Arlines:
Qantas - $7.70 (domestic) / $25 (international) per booking.
Virgin Blue - $3.50 per guest, per segment (domestic), $6 per guest, per segment (international).
Jetstar - 50c surcharge onboard for food purchases, $3 domestic bookings, $5 international bookings.

Not sure if its across the board for all HI properties, but certainly Holiday Inn at Melbourne Airport has a surcharge for ALL credit cards, including Amex, Diners, Visa and Mastercard.

This is the only HI I have used in Australia this year (twice now, surcharged each time). HI in other countries do not seem to surcharge.

Pretty much across the board for Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn.

Other hotel chains that surcharge include Accor and Rydges.

Singapore Airlines Website didn't take any surcharge when I booked my flight through them, Amex too.

V Australia NONE! This impressed me :mrgreen:

"Payments by credit or debit card for bookings made online do not attract a credit card surcharge."

Citigate Albert Park, Melbourne ( formerly Carlton Crest ) charges. grrrrr.

I got surcharged when I dined at the restaurant at HI BNE - 1.5% for all credit cards. Seems to be an IHG Australia thing. :( It must be fairly recent; I remember that last year in about September, there was still no surcharge.

Constellation Hotel Group (e.g. Chifley, Comfort Inn) have been surcharging for a while now. I think it is 3%.

Travel - do cabs count? In that case, 11%. :evil:

Air New Zealand Australia charge $4.00 per one-way Trans-Tasman journey (one-way journey meaning a continuous set of flights in one direction without stopovers); this means that for most trips Trans-Tasman a return trip will cost you an extra $8.00. The charge is $10.00 for other international one-way journeys. However if you book through the NZ portal rather than the AU portal, there is no credit card surcharge. The flipside is that you will pay in NZD rather than AUD (plus your normal currency change surcharges).

IHG surcharges were effective Sept 30 last year but if the rate is prepaid their system does not charge you for the prepaid portion.

Re: I have the same program

Could you explain what your post refers to :?:

If you ever see a post that looks weird/unusual, a good step is to jump onto Google and do a search for the post with " " around the quote - eg:
Google

You'll soon learn that it's an automated program that posts to various forums and it's something for the clean-up crew (aka moderators!) to deal with.

See similar behaviour here: http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/com...eqm-teqm-extended-until-17931.html#post297237

Last edited:
Re: I have the same program

If you ever see a post that looks weird/unusual, a good step is to jump onto Google and do a search for the post with " " around the quote - eg:
Google

You'll soon learn that it's an automated program that posts to various forums and it's something for the clean-up crew (aka moderators!) to deal with.

See similar behaviour here: http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/com...eqm-teqm-extended-until-17931.html#post297237

Thanks Mal.

When I posted that I had already reported the post to the moderators. I just wanted to ask in case I was missing something.

Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney488 George Street, Sydney, Australia 2000
Tel: 61-2-9266-2000 Fax: 61-2-9265-6065
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
Rate Type Details
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Rate Type:BEST AVAILABLE RATE
BEST UNRESTRICTED RATE 1.5 PER CENT CREDIT CARD SURCHARGE APPLICABLE

Hilton Perth have similar, but haven't checked the others

Hilton Sydney

Hilton Perth have similar, but haven't checked the others

icon13.gif
icon13.gif

It's bad enough that Hilton nickel'n'dime for everything else, but a cc surcharge on top?

This is new....and may I say without reservation - disgusting!!! :evil:

That means all of IHG, Constellation and Hilton group properties in AU are now levying these charges.

Unless it was a legal requirement of "de-bundling" of costs that before existed. My gut feeling is "no, that isn't it".

I hope this isn't for all Hilton properties but the fact that a precedent exists is disgusting. Who the hell is going to pay for a four night (or even seven night) stay with cold hard cash? Better start marketing disposable briefcases. Or fat envelopes. And learning to say, "The excess is not a tip - I want my change! I don't care that you don't have any $2 coins, hand it over!"

I have looked at Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, and it appears for all of them, so it looks across the board. As with the Intercontinetal group, it doesn't seem to apply to AP rates.

I noted that the Stamford Plaza in Sydney has notices everywhere that "1.5% is added to all credit card payments".

Fortunately, I wasn't paying :D

Last edited:
The premium club newsletter advises:

Service Charge - Credit Card payments relating to Australian hotels incur a merchant service fee of 1.5% in addition to the total amount payable from March 1, 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back