Travel insurance questions (duration and spouse entitlements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucebrad

Intern
Looking at the terms and conditions on Insurance - Citibank Australia a couple of questions arise. Any advice re these? (And yes, I have asked - I sent an email to Citibank a week ago asking about the first, but no reply).

1. Long journeys
They have this clause
The cover is available up to 31 days for cardholders with a one-way overseas travel ticket or for travel
of:
• three (3) consecutive months or less for Gold Card cardholders with return overseas travel tickets; or
• six (6) consecutive months or less for Select Card, Signature Card and Platinum Card cardholders with return overseas travel
tickets.
For the avoidance of doubt, you will not be eligible for cover under International Travel Insurance if your travel is greater than three (3) consecutive months for Gold Cards or six (6) months for Select Card, Signature Card and Platinum Cardcardholders.

If I purchase the flight with a Signature card and I'm travelling for 9 months, am I covered for the first 6 months? The dot point suggests yes, but the 'avoidance of doubt' clause raises some doubts!

2. Spouse cover when not travelling together
As I read it, spouses are not covered unless they are travelling with the cardholder for their entire journey. HOWEVER, as far as I can tell, additional cardholders (eg spouses) are defined as cardholders. So if undertaking a journey where both are travelling, but not always together, you need to purchase the tickets separately on the two cards. Bit messy, but something to look out for.

No point in emailing Citi, you need to talk to the insurer (Zurich). "For claims and/or general enquiries call
1800 072 791, 9am – 5pm (Sydney time)"

Rang them. They said No: If the total journey is over 6 months I'm not covered at all. (I didn't ask what happens if I cut my journey short to fit under 6 months - I'm guessing I might be covered).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back