Travel Insurance Honoured Even Though Card is Cancelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magtron

Hi,

I have recently purchased an air tix for travel next yr using my Citibank Platinum card. However, I want to cancel this card now before my annual renewal fee which unforunately is before the travel dates.

If I did proceed in cancelling my card, will Citibank still honour my complimentary travel insurance?

Thanks.

I am sure in the T&C's there would be something that states the Card must still be operational.

The T&Cs can be found at:
http://www.citibank.com.au/global_images/complimentaryinsurance/pdf/citibank_tc_7932.pdf

An extract of the definition of card which seems relevant says that the card must be current and valid.

card includes any of the following Citibank credit
cards:
• “Platinum Card” means a current and valid
Citibank Rewards Credit Card – Platinum,
Citibank Clear Platinum Credit Card or Emirates
Citibank Platinum Card issued by Citibank.
• “Select Card” means a current and valid
Citibank Select Credit Card issued by Citibank.
• “Signature Card” means a current and valid
Citibank Rewards Credit Card – Signature issued
by Citibank.
• “Gold Card” means a current and valid Citibank
Gold Credit Card issued by Citibank.
• “Classic Card” means a current and valid
Citibank Rewards Credit Card – Classic issued
by Citibank.

Interesting to determine whether the currency of the card is at the time of activating the insurance (i.e. paying for the trip) or at the time of making the claim (or further at the time of the loss)! Much less risky, not to cancel the card, however!

If the annual fee is the concern, call them and ask to have the fee free for life offer applied (there's a huge thread about it in the credit card promotions section).

If the annual fee is the concern, call them and ask to have the fee free for life offer applied (there's a huge thread about it in the credit card promotions section).
That is the most expedient (and best value) solution!!!!! Free-for-life is a bargain!

Yes, that is the reason why I wanted to cancel this current Platinum card as I have successfully applied for the free for life signature card.

However, I purchased by ticket long before the offer was on (early bird special) and hence paid it using my Platinum card.

BTW, I did call to get the free for life applied to this credit card but was advised that this was not allowed and that I will need to re-apply for a new card and then its up to me what I want to do with the current card I have.

I would bite the bullet and purchase travel insurance separately - this is not something you want to dispute in case something happens during your trip...

Just for people's information, I tried calling Citibank and they told me that the insurance will still be honoured as Citibank is not the insurer but Zurich. And when you purchase using the card, Zurich will immediately supply the insurance.

However, I'm not sure how true this is and whether its worth taking the risk. As per comments, I think its not worth the risk for a few hundred dollars and I will just buy another travel insurance.

I will also try calling Zurich to see if they can definately confirm in writing or something of the validity of the travel insurance, but I doubt this will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back