Travel Agent Booked Biz Class - turns out he used his points and took cash for himself

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Iggy_type_r, Apr 4, 2018.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Hi all, wanted to ask... is this stuff legit or should I take the agent for a shakedown? We paid good price (cheap, not insanely cheap) for 2 biz class tickets AU to EU and back and when we went to SingAir to find out where the points are were told that the flights were booked using points... WTF... has anyone had this happen to them>?

2. TomVexille

TomVexille Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2013
    Melbourne
    Welcome to AFF.

It's probably not illegal but it may be against a FF programs terms.

And you wouldn't find me using one of those websites...

• Like Like x 1
  3. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I understand that this is how some of the agents that sell really cheap business class seats operate. It's how they are able to offer prices way below retail.

I am not sure if that is the case for you, however.

4. clifford

clifford Established Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Canberra / London
    Please enlighten me. Which websites are you referring to?

5. I love to travel

I love to travel Active Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Brisbane
    Would be helpful if OP could identity the TA

6. Heya it was a luxury travel agent in Bayside of Melbourne not a website. I'll have a conversation with the agent first see what he has to say no need to name names yet :)

7. JessicaTam

Jan 29, 2012
    DPRV
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I would at least be expecting the SQ/VA points to be credited to your account. Or the equivalent in value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I love to travel

I love to travel Active Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Brisbane
    In that case I think its blatant fraud.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GPH

GPH Established Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brisbane Bayside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #9 GPH, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    I suspect it is illegal if they don’t disclose all of the information necessary to make an informed decision.
    My simple solution would be to front the TA , ask him to pony up with the FF miles or a call to the ombudsman will be happening. My understanding is that it’s borderline illegal anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Buzzard

Buzzard Senior Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Radelaide!
    Certainly very deceptive conduct.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. juddles

juddles Established Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Sth America
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    AFF community, I suspect this one is a lost cause, at least until the OP wakes up and understands what actually happened to them.

They describe the agent as a "luxury travel agent". "Luxury"?? That is just a word that anyone can append to their online site. The cold fact appears to be that the Op bought a cheap "premium" ticket via an online "luxury travel agent" that used illegal points to secure the flight. As a points ticket, not only is the OP not due points earn, but they are lucky that the airline did not cancel the ticket itself.

I am quietly confident that the airline is not misinformed when they say the seats were points redemptions.......

12. TomVexille

TomVexille Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2013
    Melbourne
    Ones like Alpha Flight Guru

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JessicaTam

Jan 29, 2012
    DPRV
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Well the OP has said it is a bricks and mortar store, not an OTA.

Poor form in any case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. juddles

Aug 2, 2011
    Sth America
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The OP also thinks the travel agent "used his own points". Can someone with mor etime explain to the OP how this works - the whole illegal purchasing of points and subsequent third-party redemptions...........

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomVexille

TomVexille Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2013
    Melbourne
    While I mostly agree with you, there are legitimate ways for businesses to buy points from airlines to distribute as they wish.

16. BAM1748

BAM1748 Senior Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Sydney
    I guess we need to know the agent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. juddles

Aug 2, 2011
    Sth America
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Despite what the OP said, I suspect there is a "need to name names". Or at least there is for any useful discussion of the OP's problem..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Hvr

Hvr Senior Member

Jun 27, 2007
    MEL
    Noting how these scenarios usually play out the OP should be very thankful they actually got to fly in the class they paid for on the dates booked.

What often happens is that they purchaser ends up totally out of pocket having been refused boarding at the airport.

Forget the points and enjoy the memories.

19. mannej

mannej Senior Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Perth
    #19 mannej, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    There are “travel agents” who harvest points to offer “cheap” premium travel. Without any further information it is hard to provide proper feedback to the OP.

20. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    A travel agent can buy points from Lifemiles, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines - and more. They can even buy them in the name of the passenger travelling. That means points can be entirely legitimate.

There is nothing illegal in using points to buy someone else a ticket... unless the points have been hacked, stolen, or similarly fraudulently obtained.

Airlines may have it against their terms and conditions that you cannot buy, sell or barter points. But if you do anyway, it's nothing more than a breach of contract. There is nothing illegal in it. There is no law on the statute books preventing you doing whatever you want with points.

• Like Like x 1