To China and back - all three alliances and some high speed rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

moa999

Enthusiast
Planning a brief pre-Xmas sojurn to Hong Kong and China pre Xmas, with the aim of getting back to Sydney on Christmas Day for family events.
Routing is pretty crazy with a quick 24hr SC run ex-TPE.
Spending time along the way in Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Yangshuo (near Guilin) and a bit of time on planes and trains!
Have APEC so China is fairly easy

Current flights/train
16/12 SQ212 SYD-SIN J 777-300 Booked on SQ Biz Saver Award
16/12 SQ870 SIN-HKG J 777-200 As above. Will try and get them to put me on the earlier SQ2 (77W)
18/12 MTR Intercity HungHom-Guangzho East
20/12 HSR Guangzhou South-Wuhan - 900km at 300km/h (recently slowed)
20/12 CZ6288 WUH-KWL Y 737-800 - paid tix
22/12 MU5388 KWL-HFE Y 320 - paid tix (Domestic K - not creditable to QF)
23/12 MU2049 HFE-TPE Y 320 - paid tix (International X - not creditable to QF)
23/12 CX473 TPE-HKG J 330 (subject to arriving on time will try to switch to cx421/703)
23/12 CX755 HKG-BKK J 340
24/12 CX2700 BKK-HKG J 330
24/12 CX564 HKG-TPE J 777-300
24/12 CX405 TPE-HKG J 330
24/12 CX161 HKG-SYD J 330 New layout

Hotels - will be trying to make the most out of my Hilton Platinum status
HK - Conrad HK - 2nights
GZ - Hilton GZ Tianhe - 1 night (very new)
- Hilton GZ Baiyun - 1 night (Very new)
YS - Yangshuo Village Retreat - 2 nights
HFE - Hilton Hefei - 1 night
BKK - Aloft Bangkok - 1 night (Due to open 1-Dec)

320 SCs for the ex-TPE flight with 160SC to come for about $2,500.

Will include trip report here but thinking about using a blog instead of inline.

Pre-travel questions.
1. What is the chance SQ will let me on the earlier SQ2 (SIN-HKG) at check-in on the 77W - noting I am on a cheaper Business Saver redemption
2. Does anyone have experience as to how flexible the ex-TPE Bus Saver (I class) tickets are. Conservatively booked a 6hr layover in TPE but would like to get to BKK before midnight

Sitting in the SilverKris Business lounge at SYD. First time there and it is looking pretty tired. About half full before Sq212. Decent view out the main window including of the 777 that will shortly become my chariot, but some fruit salad, some ugly looking sandwiches and a few hot tidbits was it.

Moa I have in past had mixed success changing flts with J Saver Redemptions from 777-300 and 747 to 77W in SIN - IME achievable with carry-on luggage only - again IME depends totally on agent you deal with at time request made.

It is possible but I would never 'plan' on it happening - but bonus if you can achieve.

Cruiser Elite - tried it twice in the SilverKris lounge but no luck.

SQ212 SYD SIN 777-200 9K-SYL Seat 18A

First flight in Biz on SQ and whilst I was impressed I certainly wasn't blown away and there were enough service issues.

Boarding took a long while at the gate. The outsourced Toll Dnata staff moved slowly, the boarding passes took up to 10 secs each to count and then a few people on board with radios stating pax werent in certain seat numbers. Ended up departing 20 min behind schedule.

Had preordered book the cook and the toasted bred and veg for breakfast (so so and i would have preferred the regular menu choice) and the awesome seafood thermidor for lunch (yum). Meal service was good with multiple courses served with ease. In hindisght I should have asked for the regular breakfast as well.

IMG00085-20111216-1528.jpg
IMG00086-20111216-1554.jpg
IMG00087-20111216-1717.jpg

What was wrong? My call button didn't work and staff were noticeably absent from the cabin at times... When i finally walked up the front to request the famous Singapore Sling it took over 20min to appear after they decided to also go round the cabin and take other drink orders. When I switched from white to red I was served in the same glasses. In fact the red went in my water glass and the water topup in the white.

Krisworld whilst containing a lot of content appeared slowish and sluggish.

Seat was the new medium hall business sloper - most equivalent to qf skybed 1. Quite comfortable even as leather with heaps of personal storage including a useful laptop slot down the side and mobile phone/wallet under the centre console. In sleep mode felt that I slid down moreso than on qf, but it was primarily a day flight.

On landing looked like a few rain squals out the left hand window. Over the runway threshold terminal suddenly disappeared in a cloud of white and no more than 20m above the ground the engines fired up and we rose again. Captain came on and said the rain was sitting right above the airport and there was no visibility of the runway. 20min later a far simpler landing -- my first go-around.

T3 Lounge SilverKris Lounge
Both flights were T3 but a long walk from high-b gates to the lounge nearer a gates. SilverKris lounge is impressive - probably a better food offering than Cathay Haven and that was just in the Business lounge. Again lounge wasn't that full which was surprising, althought the Krisflyer Gold lounge I had walked passed to get there appeared busier.
Shower rooms were good with plenty of room to change.

IMG00088-20111216-1811.jpg
IMG00089-20111216-1812.jpg

SQ870 SIN-HKG Boeing 777-200 Seat 12K
Lost my notes on this so doing from memory. Had a bulkhead row 12 seat which had acres of leg room and service was exceptional on the flight. My book the cook meal (the beef) was awesome and extremely well plated.

IMG00090-20111216-1834.jpg
IMG00091-20111216-2044.jpg
IMG00092-20111216-2116.jpg

You will see from photos later in this report that SQ J blows CX J out of the water for food on the plating alone. CX feels like a veg, rice, meat or pasta is the only choices, whereas SQ (and indeed QF) plate like a restaurant.

Arrived late into Hong Kong, caught the Airport Express to Central and jumped in a cab to my accommodation that was close by.

Mingle on the Wing, Wing Lok St
Booked on Wotif because it was cheap.
Dodgyish area at night, but internet worked and bed was ok (albeit not a plush top).
Room was shall we say tiny... actually the cat would have hit the wall when you tried to swing and shower was average.
Given however I arrived at 1am and was checked out by 10am - no harm done.

Conrad Hong Kong
My great corporate rates were not available (regular occurence) so paid 4x the first night to stay here and was checked in by 11am on a Exec Floor room facing the Harbour two floors from the top.
Arranged through the concierge my ticket for the Hung Hom to Guangzhou train the next day for a taxi fare for the bellman to get the ticket.
I won't comment much on the hotel but it is exceptional and as a Plat I couldn't complain about the treatment.
Drinks on the Exec Floor were good with lots of tasty moresels available.

DSCN1780.JPG
DSCN1781.JPG
DSCN1782.JPG
DSCN1783.JPG

MTR Intercity Hung Hom to Guangzhou

Took a taxi to Hung Hom on the Kowloon side. Lucky I had pre-purchased the ticket as next available train was 4hrs away and mine was in 1hr.
As an 'International' service there is a separate area for pre-boarding where your passport is checked and luggage scanned then into an above platform waiting area.
The Chinese entry is done on the other side.

What I didn't know was that there are two types of trains the KTT - operated by the HK MTR and having WiFi the whole way and the Chinese operated semi-high speed train.
I was on the Chinese version, and while adequate, I was surprised to find the picture below in the toilet compartment!

MTR Intercity Through Train

IMG00094-20111218-1425.jpg
IMG00096-20111218-1554.jpg

Immigration at Guangzhou East a breeze with the APEC card and into China.
Was staying one night each at both Guangzhou Hilton's which are both under a year old, both walkable to MTRs (although not really with luggage) and awesome hotels.
I will refer to the reports I posted on MiP given these are more international hotels that see less attention.
Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe reviews | milepoint
Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun reviews | milepoint

Guangzhou
Had been expecting another ho hum Chinese city.

Actually surprisingly nice and pretty. Metro and underground automated people mover (an 11 station 4km driverless underground track) and good signage to the metro where there are lots of signs that point you in the direcion of the nearest metro. Choosing he right exit can however be a challenge with the descriptive signs not brilliant.
Have a Yang Cheng Tong card if anyone would like to borrow it for a trip (only about 5 RMB left on it) but funding a place to refund it is not easy.

Really good riverfront that is mostly used well and a great night ferry cruise where you cruise past all these bridges that have been lit up in coloured changing lights (and the Canton Tower).
Went up the Canton Tower twice - first day despite all the electronic signs saying A,B,C were available would only sell me C (the lowest viewing deck). After eventually trying five people one managed to tell me construction going on. Was unfortunate as that was the clearest of the two days. Had my hotel call the next day to confirm it was open and went for the Bubble Cars. Would recommend the bubble cars (At about 500m) as they are the only way to get a totally unobstructed view.

Also toured a few of the other historical sites including the Statue of the Five Goats, Dr Sun Yat-sen monument and hall.

DSCN1836.JPG
DSCN1868.JPG
DSCN1904.JPG
DSCN1920.JPG

Whilst plenty of people around generally on both times I went Canton Tower was just DEAD. One or two tour groups, but no lines, no queues, half the booths selling tickets were shut off and at places there were more staff than people. Not sure if this was the weather or prices (a ride to the top and bubble tram is A$40) but surprising.

High Speed Train G1006 Guangzhou South to Wuhan

Took the metro to Guangzhou South, up the escalator and in a soaring dome foyer that would have looked like a modern airport. Upstairs to departures like an airport, through security and into a large common waiting area in front of the gates. Chinese citizens board using an ID card as tickets are linked to the ID card, I had to show my ticket and passport. (as mentioned on the Hilton Baiyun report to book the ticket I had to give my actual passport (with some trepidation) to the bellman to take it to the station to book the ticket) Had booked a first class seat which on this train was the 5th carriage of 9 (ie middle) and a comfortable padded seat in 2x2 layout with 20 degree or so recline. Decent snackbox and juice/softdrink shortly after departure and also some options at a small dining car. We cruised out of Guangzhou at around 160kmh, then quickly gained speed and spent most of the journey at 303kmh dropping back to 270-280 ever ocassionally. With a single stop at Changsa, we covered the 900km to Wuhan in around 3hrs.

One free bottle of water at a booth and a convenience store where I added some additional supplements. Boarding commenced 15min before - machine scan of Chinese id card or manual check for moi. Got in the queue early to get a few snaps of the train - staff freshly washing the outside at the station, then back to the middle for the First class cabin.
First was a 2x2 layout and 15 deg recline. Coach a 2x3 layout.
Also some very small Premium First at the front and back in a 1x2 layout but can't see past drivers compartment.

Provided with a snack pack and choice of water, coke or sprite. Small dining car with limited menu. No alcohol served (or available in station). Was on one of the few single stop (at Changsa sth) services to Wuhan. Cruised out of Shanghai Sth slowly spending some time in 160 zone in residential areas, then rapidly went to 303 km/h - shown at both ends of the carriage - where we pretty much spent the entire journey, with a few momentary drops to about 270 but no lower. Very smooth journey and very quiet. Unfortunately this was a bad weather day so spent most of it in thick cloud and rain which limited the scenery.

DSCN1925.JPG
DSCN1928.JPG
DSCN1932.JPG
DSCN1937.JPG

Arrived at Wuhan with about 4hrs to transfer to Wuhan Intl. Had noted with interest that there did not appear to be a direct bus or if so very limited times so was considering a cab. Walking out cab queue was huge so went to the express bus area and bought a ticket to one of the other train stations (in the nw (direction of the airport). For 12yuan ($2) bus leaving in 10min... Very old bus, broken seat next to me but it would do.

Again reminded why I will never drive in China. Lanes and lights don't mean much and merging is definitely a game of chicken. On one of the four on four roads with no dividing strip encountered a two-taxi accident that was blocking the road. Traffic from my direction had commandeered two lanes of the other direction and that traffic was pulling off into a sideally - as out bus edged around it cars were turning in front again in a further game of checkin. Quite a lengthy journey through the centre of Wuhan dropping off a few pax with the driver yelling place names along the way. Pulled into what was basically a bus carpark and driver stopped and stopped the bus (obviously the last bus of the night). Then had to trudge out to the road and back out to the station main entrance where for a further 17yuan ($3) I was on my way to the Airport.

Wuahn Airport is quite a modern terminal but nothing special. Still mostly counter checkin although CZ had a few automatic terminals. Checked my rollaboard - they wouldn't let me have both rollaboard and trifold. Standard bag xray and one of the most thorough pat downs outside the US. No lounges -- all the airport had was a CZ/Skyteam lounge and a Hainan lounge - neither took priority pass. Mind you about five coffee shops (all selling alcohol) and free wifi in the gate area. All boarding appeared to be aerobridges in the B pier, although I did notice some downstairs gates (which I presumed were bus gates)

Last edited:
CZ6288 WUH 2200 KWL 2345 B737-800 (No Rego) st 42A

Plane arrived in about 10min behind and a quick turnaround so we boarded pretty much on time. Tickets had two stubs, one collected at gate and another at bottom of ramp (20m later)

Pretty standard 737-800 with similar layout and pitch to QF. Small 'section' of Premium Economy with its own curtain and three rows but apart from a different headcover couldn't see a difference.

All cabin announcements in both mandarin and decent english, both prerecorded and live. The safety video was all mandarin with english subtitles but often unreadable as white text on light backgrounds.

Food was a little snack box with peanuts, a sweet bread roll and a jelly. Water, coke, sprite or tea served from bottle.
Very hard landing at the airport.

Guilin airport looking a little dated although scoped both PriorityPass lounges enroute to the exit. Luggage on fourth cart almost dead last and all bag tags thoroughly cross checked at exit (made it away quickly before large tour group), then met up with driver to take me to Yangshuo on a deserted highway (trip just over an hour).

DSCN1938.JPG
DSCN1939.JPG
DSCN1940.JPG

-

Yangshuo

What a place. Karst mountains all around you and some lovely scenery and rivers. Hired a bike to get around one day and did two raft/ motor raft cruises. Did not to the super touristy Li/Lijiang river cruise, but rather the other two rivers. Also hiked up Moon Hill (not that easy) for a spectacular view of the scenery.

On my second night in town (got in at 1am the first night) went and saw the Liu Sanjie Impressions light show. This is a show that has been running since 2004 by the Director who did the Beijing Olympics opening and closing ceremony and is simply spectacular. Show is held on its own island in a 4000 seat ampitheatre with over 600 performers. Show is basically performed on and around the river and makes great use of the natural rock formations and colour and light.

A few photos..

DSCN1946.JPG
DSCN5013.JPG
DSCN5080.JPG
DSCN5037.JPG

Leaving Yangshuo

I had stayed at the Yangshao Garden Retreat based on tripadvisor reviews and it is a lovely place run

The small rooms have an interesting arrangement with the shower/ wet room being effectively where the balcony is in the other units.
But a great price, very friendly team with good english and decent food from the kitchen at great price. They also wash and fold a tub of laundry for 30rmb - great value (cheaper than a shirt at the Hiltons)

The resort is out of the hustle and bustle but a good 25min walk from town along a lit waterfront path, then some paved roads.

Leaving the walk is not doable with luggage so I hired a guy in a motorcycle with built in trailer and showed him the hotel card -- off we set but I was increasingly becoming concerned we were going in the wrong directions. Remonstrations got me nowhere for about 5 min but finally convinced him to turn around then call hotel. What should have been a 5min journey took 35min! Collected luggage and set off - 2 min down the road -- cough - passport and blackberry playbook still in front desk safe. Was taking me back a different way and despite 5 goes at telling him to turn around he was convinced he was going the right way (he was) and ignored me. Eventually convinced him 'money' back at hotel so we turned around. Passport collected and back to the bus station. Ended up paying 35rmb ($6) but did use 45min of his time and froze myself solid in the back of the truck.

Have a 2250 flight so plenty of time (I thought). Onto the 1940 bus and we take off promptly. We pull into another stop 2min outside town and wait 5min - then heading mostly direct... Till the bus breaks down with clear smell of engine going wrong. We wait 25min for the next bus and board what then becomes a full bus. A further 10min and we pull into a gas station. It seems to be a bit of sport/auction process as to who gets what spot as fingers point, trucks and buses reverse everywhere -- another 15min lost. Rather than the bus station I had been expecting finally dumped on the side of the road opposite Guilin Railway Stn at 2145 (2hrs for what should have been 1hr). Quick look showed nothing obvious so hail a cab and bargain to 120rmb ($20) for the 20km or so journey -- probably over the odds but some tolls in that and I was out of time (all up probably cost me the same as a private car direct). So arrived at airport at 2220 - check one bag and head to lounge which was opposite gate.

The Priority Pass lounge was pretty dour, 2pcs, no wifi, some juice and soft drinks and a food selection which consisted of baby tomatoes and some sweet cake and biscuits. Spent 10min before the flight was called which boarded very quickly given only about 50 pax on board.

IMG00107-20111222-2235.jpg

MU5388 KWL-HFE A320 Seat 45C

Boarding pass is interestingly on Airport stock (not the Airline).

A new looking A320 with two row business 2x2 then 3x3 Y covered in a bright blue cloth. Snack time at nearly midnight was another box and pepsi/7up/juice choice. Safety video in mandarin turned on very quickly whilst we were still at gate with little notice shown by pax, some who were still moving about cabin, then an english version followed. Staff very thoroughly checked all seatbelts locked and seats upright. Remainder of announcements by fa's also in mandarin and passable english.

IMG00108-20111222-2237.jpg
IMG00113-20111223-0017.jpg
IMG00111-20111222-2307.jpg
IMG00112-20111222-2316.jpg
IMG00109-20111222-2244.jpg

Landed at a brisk 0deg Hefei and a quick 20min to the downtown Hilton

Hilton Hefei

Plat upfrade to Exec Floor on 25th of 26 with Lounge on 24. Alarm set for 620am so arriving at about 1am was going to be a short stay. Offered Exec Floor breakfast from 630 - asked about cafe as well but don't think understood. No comment on Internet.
No Plat note in room, just a comment that hotel in energy saving mode as hotels have been required to cut power by 20% or face sanctions. Fruit bowl, chocolates and water in room - no turndown had been done (again this could be arriving at 1am)
Quite a large room of an earlier Hilton generation with no separated toilet shower and a small blinded window from bathroom to main bed. Had the classic five button Hilton bedside radio. Powerpoint access at bedside limited and no master light switch.

DSCN5106.JPG
DSCN5107.JPG
DSCN5108.JPG
DSCN5109.JPG

Last edited:
Went to the Exec lounge for breakfast as it was only a floor down and one of the more impressive spreads I have seen for an Exec lounge with over 15 heated dishes.

Hefei Luogang Airport (HFE)

Left hotel at 715 and at airport by 730 (despite being told an hour).

Checkin for International (and Taipei) flights off to the right behind an area marked customs and international arrivals that has reverse flow usage. Two check in desks. Economy and Group/Business/Elite. Bad lack if you were in the latter as a group of 30 or so trying to checkin luggage (all had boarding passes). After cross checking a few times on entry requirements - Australia wasn't on the printed list (New Zealand was) I spotted the words APEC and the card did the trick (yet again)

Two international gates (8 and 9) with hard stand seating, no facilities bar a small first class lounge (no priority pass entry signs but didn't bother trying as only got airside at 820am). Frankly a pretty nondescript airport for a pretty nondescript town (from the five hrs I saw).
Our gate turned out to be a bus gate - front stairs only

IMG00114-20111223-0829.jpg
IMG00116-20111223-0830.jpg
IMG00117-20111223-0843.jpg

MU2049 HFE-TPE A320 B-6002 (8.7yrs)

Older aircraft was obvious from the switches and general fitout. Comfortable flight with a hot breakfast being served down the back.
Plane was quite full with the aforementioned tour groups.

IMG00118-20111223-0946.jpg

Not being sure of the potential lateness of my MU flight I had booked a much later CX flight to connect to Bangkok.
Had checked luggage so needed to reclaim it, through immigration and transfer to the CX terminal which is undergoing a fair amount of redevelopment.

After a brief chat with the ever brilliant CX First desk, rerouted on CX511 / CX 701 getting me into BKK a good 5 hrs earlier.

CX511 TPE 1305 HKG B-LAB (6.6yrs) A330 Seat 14K

Old style CX regional aircraft with the green recliner seats

Menu (CX511,531,565 dated 1-12-11)

Lunch
Starter
Smoked chicken with grilled prawn on tuna and green bean salad

Main
Sauteed beef tenderloin with shimeji mushroom in spicy oyster sauce, steamed rice, pak choy and carrot
Panfried prawns and garoupa with cream sauce, buttered linguine, eggplants and peppers
Dessert
Blueberry milk cream mousse with crushed cookies
Tea and coffee

Champagne - Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic
White - Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Chardonnay 2008 (California); Drouet Frères Le Mont Fleuri Sancerre 2009 (Loire Valley)
Red - Château Rocher Corbin Montagne-Saint-Émilion 2004 (Dordogne River); Tyrell's Hunter Valley Brokenback Shiraz 2007 (Hunter Valley)
Port - Dows Late Vintage Port 2006

Smoked Chicken and the Beef... And yes CX changed the wine glasses!

DSCN5110.JPG
DSCN5111.JPG

CX701 HKG 1605 - BKK A330 St 18C

Menu Cx701 dated 12/11

Starter
Hot smoked creole salmon with French beans and kipfler potatoes

Main courses
Rock salt baked marinated chicken with steamed jasmine rice and broccoli
Saffron fettucine with tomato concasse and parmesan cheese
Ice cream
Tea and coffee

Wines (CX701,703,713,751,755 dated 1/12/11)
Champagne - Billecart-Salmon Brut Champagne
White - Domaine des Malandes Chablis 2009; Mount Riley Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2010
Red - Tyrell's Hunter Valley Brokenback Shiraz 2007 (Hunter Valley); Château Taffard de Blaignan Médoc 2009

Stayed at the aloft bangkok which is very nice, but probably better choices there for SPG elites.
aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 - Master Thread | milepoint

The Woops moment

Managed to sleep in having taken advantage of Aloft's free entry to Bed which is literally across the road. Checked out of the hotel at 725am for an 825am flight... Woops... So taxi to Makassan which was pretty quick then a one minute wait for the local train and arrived at the Cathay Desk at 810am which was a very good effort but still too late. Nicely shifted to the 925am which caused a misconnect for my next two flights (HKG-TPE-HKG), one a separate ticket. So 20minutes at checkin and it was 845 and time to go to the holding pen. Literally sat down in the pen when a 30min delay was announced.

CX708 BKK TPE A340-300 B-HXD (15.5yrs) Seat16A

Well some luck... An A340-300 with the lie-flat business seats. A very empty cabin of under 10pax and an extremely attentive and friendly crew.
However plane was delayed 35min due to a servicing issue (announced at gate) and took off another 10min behind that.

After the chocolates also got a box of cx christmas cookies.

Menu (708/750 from 12/11)
Lunch
Starter
Hot smoked pepper salmon with marinated cucumbers
Main
Stir-fried jumbo prawns with salted egg, steamed jasmine rice and mixed vegetables
Chicken with lemon sauce, egg fried rice, sauteed pak choy, carrots and abalone mushrooms
Paneer makhani, jeera pulao, bean phali masala - Cottage cheeses in creamy tomato sauce, coughin basmati rice and French bean masala served with spicy Indian style pickles and yoghurt with cucumber
Ice cream
Tea and coffee

Pralines
I
Wines (CX702,708,712,754 dated 1/12/11)
White - Domaine des Malandes Chablis 2009; Mount Riley Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2010
Red - Tyrell's Hunter Valley Brokenback Shiraz 2007 (Hunter Valley); Château Taffard de Blaignan Médoc 2009

Yes I went the Indian Veg - those side pickles had some spice.
DSCN5118.JPG
DSCN5119.JPG
DSCN5120.JPG

CX420 HKG-TPE 777-300 DNPK Seat 14A

Arrived at terminal with only 25min to meet the transfer. CX rep standing with a sign for CX420 and picked up myself and one other passenger. Transfer was Gate 70 to 42. Walked us to the long transfer line and helped us skip both the boarding pass and security queues - made it to gate just as boarding commenced.
777-300 regional config in 2x3x2 layout with the dreaded middle seat which was in use as the cabin was full bar about five seats.

Menu (420 N-J/12)

Starter
Fresh seasonal fruit

Main courses
Steamed silver cod with yin bun vegetables, steames jasmine rice and Chinese vegetables
Tortellini with ?
Dessert
Baked pear tart
Tea and coffee

Wines (420/421 from 1/12/11)

DSCN5121.JPG

Last edited:
Had a two hour layover at TPE so went to the lounge and asked to change flights. Business was moderately busy but only one other person in the First lounge and 25min before boarding on a late running CX405. Quick purchase of duty free alcohol in TPE that I would then check in HKG to avoid the nasty LAG rules to Australia. Whilst many photos of the HKG lounges, not many of TPE. Lounge is done up very much in the style of the HKG lounge with a largish front room with noodle bar, and a smaller back First lounge. Below are a few shots from the first lounge.

IMG00122-20111224-1633.jpg
IMG00123-20111224-1634.jpg
IMG00124-20111224-1634.jpg

CX405 TPE HKG A340 St 12A
On boarding another old style flat business class and I was one of two pax in the premium cabin, presumably most had been shifted to earlier flights given the delay. Was warmly greeted by at least four separate staff members.

Menu (405,467,469 N-J/12)
Starter

Fresh seasonal fruits

Main courses

Fukien fried rice with chicken and seafood
Linguine with olive and vegetables topped with smoked chicken bread and Parmesan
Dessert
Blueberry milk cream mousse with crushed cookies
Tea and coffee

Wines (401/405/461/467/469/473/475 1/12/11) - seeing a pattern here!

DSCN5122.JPG

Again arrived way out on the end of the pier (gate 70) then trudged in to do a 5 minute entry to Hong Kong to check some vodka and scotch (Price Comparison - Chivas 12yrs 750ml SYD $59.99 TPE ~25, Chivas 18yrs 750ml SYD n/a TPE ~$65) ... Then all the way back as cx161 was departing from Gate 65 so off to The Pier for a quick shower and some turkey and cranberry.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]CX161 HKG 2125 SYD 0925 A330 Seat 15A

And there it was - an A330 with the new business class. A very light load with only ten people in the cabin. Format is much better than the older version, the seat feels noticeably wider, has a great control panel and lots of storage for headsets, seat controls, power and av. Also good storage for shoes. Great wide screen that is really close to a viewing position.
[/FONT]

Despite the late HK takeoff (9pm HK and midnight at destination) lights left on and a full dinner service. I thus watched a movie and ate something, before going into bed mode and sleeping to literally 40min out of Sydney.
A very quick bircher muesli and coffee and we were into descent mode.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Menu (111/161 12/11)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dinner[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Starters[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Smoked yellowtail tuna in saffron and three pepper sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mixed salad with creamy Italian dressing[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Main courses[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sauteed beef with assorted mushroom in oyster sauce, steamed jasmine rice and broccoli with ginger julienne[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Braised duck leg a la Boulangere, sherry wine, soy and parsley[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stir-fried fish cake with turnip and Chinese celery, steamed jasmine rice and Shanghainese pak choy with chilli[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Butternut squash agnolotti with roasted garlic and pumpkin white wine sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cheese and Dessert[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Bleu d'Auvergne, Red Leicester, Taleggio[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Fresh seasonal fruit[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Arabian date cheese cake with chocolate sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tea and coffee[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pralines[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Snacks[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pan-fried beef skewer on cheese and spring onion potato cake with tomato relish[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hong Kong style egg tart[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Soya duck and preserves sweet vegetable in rice and vermicelli soup[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ice cream[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Breakfast[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Starters - Orange or apple juice; Pink guava smoothie; Fresh seasonal fruit; Fruit yoghurt; Bircher muesli with blueberries[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Main Courses[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sun-dried tomato and feta cheese frittata, pan-fried potato cake with cheese and spring onion, maple turkey sausage, creamed spinach and vine ripened tomato[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dim sum with chilli sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pork siu mai with crab roe, preserved vegetables crystak dumpling, shrimp dumpling, mini chicken glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Beef and conpoy congee with baked barbecued pork pie[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Bread Basket - Assorted breakfast bread served with preserves, honey and butter[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tea and Coffee[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Drinks (101/103/105/111/135/137/139/157/161/163/171/173/195 1/12/11)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Champagne - Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]White - Mountadam Vineyard Eden Valley Riesling 2009; Domaine des Malandes Chablis 2009[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Red - Château Rocher Corbin Montagne-Saint-Émilion 2004 (Dordogne River); Tyrell's Hunter Valley Brokenback Shiraz 2007 (Hunter Valley)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Port - Dows Late Vintage Port 2006[/FONT]

DSCN5123.JPG
DSCN5124.JPG
DSCN5125.JPG
DSCN5126.JPG
DSCN5127.JPG

Unfortunately missed the main, but like the regional flights it came out looking like a veg/rice/meat mix or pasta.

Great TR!

I wasnt aware that CX flies the lie flat to TPE... Interesting as I plan to do some runs for my BA Gold next month.

Cheers
S.

Cool report moa999

The new CX layout looks nice however I agree with you that they need to improve on plating their dishes and serving it more like a restaurant.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back