Thoughts on the Qantas AMEX Ultimate Card?

goldenhorn

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I got this email offer during the week.

I've had the free AMEX discovery card for many years and been using it for business. It's been great and it's been nice not to have to ever have to pay a fee.

The offer of 60,000 QF points and $200 statement credit looks good, plus more QF points per $1 spent.

It's very likely I'll use the $450 travel credit. My partner has the Plat Edge and Explorer and we easily use the $650 of flight credits per year.

Curious to hear if others would take up this upgrade? Any downsides from those that have this card?

Elevate.png

It's very likely I'll use the $450 travel credit. My partner has the Plat Edge and Explorer and we easily use the $650 of flight credits per year.

Keep in mind the QF Ultimate travel credit is for use on QF flights only, whereas the Plat Edge/Explorer travel credits can be used on any carrier.

Having said that, it's still a no brainer if you will be flying Qantas, $250 out of pocket for 60k QFF + $450 flight credit is a good deal.

I cancelled this card earlier this year.

I decided that I prefer the Explorer card with the ability to choose between different carriers.

Just serving out my 18 months before I can apply for the Explorer card (hopefully with a nice sign up bonus !)

I cancelled this card earlier this year.

I decided that I prefer the Explorer card with the ability to choose between different carriers.

Just serving out my 18 months before I can apply for the Explorer card (hopefully with a nice sign up bonus !)

Nothing to stop one taking the upgrade offer, using the $450 TC and collecting the 60k QFF + statement credit at the next points sweep, then cancelling the card to start the 18 month clock ;)

Nothing to stop one taking the upgrade offer, using the $450 credit and collecting the 60k QFF + statement credit at the next points sweep, then cancelling the card to start the 18 month clock ;)

Ah yes. Good point. Agree.

Keep in mind the QF Ultimate travel credit is for use on QF flights only, whereas the Plat Edge/Explorer travel credits can be used on any carrier.

Having said that, it's still a no brainer if you will be flying Qantas, $250 out of pocket for 60k QFF + $450 flight credit is a good deal.
Ah, good to know. I didn't notice it's only for QF flights.
Nothing to stop one taking the upgrade offer, using the $450 TC and collecting the 60k QFF + statement credit at the next points sweep, then cancelling the card to start the 18 month clock ;)
That's what I'm thinking too. ;)

Has anyone had any luck lately with getting the qantas ultimate flight credit validity extended ? Or been able to use it for a hotel booking ? Any other Options ?

I got this email offer during the week.

I've had the free AMEX discovery card for many years and been using it for business. It's been great and it's been nice not to have to ever have to pay a fee.

The offer of 60,000 QF points and $200 statement credit looks good, plus more QF points per $1 spent.

Curious to hear if others would take up this upgrade? Any downsides from those that have this card?

View attachment 282039
How much is the yearly fee? I have the Discovery Card, but was not given this offer.

That is what I would be doing.

You are going to get the greatest bang for your buck churning credit cards. Of course, that option is not open to many people and involves more effort than some people are comfortable making, but if you are looking to maximise your earn, that is the most profitable path.

If I use my qantas ultimate credit for a qantas refundable booking and cancel it later . Will I receive a qantas or Amex credit ( even if my qantas ultimate card is closed ) ?

If I use my qantas ultimate credit for a qantas refundable booking and cancel it later . Will I receive a qantas or Amex credit ( even if my qantas ultimate card is closed ) ?

You won't receive anything if it's a voluntary cancellation - the TC is non refundable.

You will get the credit back if Qantas changes the scheduled flight time and it no longer suits you, or if they cancel the flight altogether. I can't tell you what happens if you've already closed the card.

You won't receive anything if it's a voluntary cancellation - the TC is non refundable.

You will get the credit back if Qantas changes the scheduled flight time and it no longer suits you, or if they cancel the flight altogether. I can't tell you what happens if you've already closed the card.
Thanks for the info and your response . Any experience with having the travel credit extended ?

Any experience with having the travel credit extended ?

Yes, if a travel credit is reinstated due to involuntary cancellation or unsuitable schedule change, it will have a fresh 12 month expiry. This can result in having multiple QF TCs on the one card, exactly the situation I ended up with. You can combine the multiple TCs on a single booking but it needs to be processed manually by the Amex Travel call centre.

Back