The Explorer Credit Card (New AMEX Card!) | Page 128 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

The Explorer Credit Card (New AMEX Card!)

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Stupid question, but just trying to be creative.
I assume you cannot apply for a supp card for yourself or more than one supp card for any individual? I also assume you cannot apply for a supp card for kids?
Seems a lottery at the moment.

I have had additional cards in my name before.

I have had additional cards in my dogs name before.

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
Well I may be emboldened to try again in the name of my dog.

I have however also found that they check randomly, and sometimes after the fact. So if they do check then one would need a reasonable answer for Fido having card.

Amex is very valuable to me and so while I do seek to bend the rules as much as I can, I never break them. With Supp Cards I have only ever used real people. I know others haven't, but I avoid anything where Amex could but prove me in the wrong.

This once saved me 2.9 million MR points in an Amex Promo when they suspended me, but then had to re-instate me as they could not actually show that I had broken any terms.

daft009

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Overall I'm always guided by this: 'The sooner I cancel, the sooner the clock starts on the exclusion period'. And 'I've never met a card worth keeping'.

I know others have different views and I wave at them from F or J. The game changes all of the time, play hard and reap the rewards.
i think you have to accept its not so black & white.
one can still keep the card and still fly J/F.
unless you have zillion spare in cash flow and can stock up on gift cards etc to last you 18months. ;)

with a monthly spend of $30-35k on my amex alone, its worth holding onto.

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
How long does it usually take for the supplementary cards to be approved ?
I applied for two last Wednesday.
I could see it approved online within 2 days.

UPDATE: arrived in the mail 5 days after the online application.

Last edited:

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
how do you see your supp card online? I cant see mine
1) Log in to your AMEX account
2) Scroll down and select 'Recent transactions'
3) Towards the bottom of that page it lists every person who has a card attached to your account and the total spend they have made under the heading 'Activity By Card Member'

travelnutjohn

1) Log in to your AMEX account
2) Scroll down and select 'Recent transactions'
3) Towards the bottom of that page it lists every person who has a card attached to your account and the total spend they have made under the heading 'Activity By Card Member'
awesome!!! thanks
ive seen that bit before but didnt put two and two together!

my fifth supp card is there, looks like I wait for the mail

benjy

AFF Supporter
RE discussion of the supplementary card
I applied for Supp Cards for 3 of the cards I hold
My partner already holds a Supp Card for Card A, he has a Vietnamese name, I applied for a supp card for him for Card B & Card C. Amex called me and asked for his passport number... I asked them to check my account for his details, they did, easily approved on the call.

I applied for a supp card for my sister for Card A. I used her maiden name (my surname), at my address, using my phone number, and her card was approved, no ID necessary, no questions asked.

Go figure!

travelnutjohn

my card arrived today, maybe a week after calling,

5th supp card,

Maybe same surname helped no ID checks, but havent had one yet, which is probably an outlier

quite happy,
lets hope there is more statement credits as I think ive only used one this year
last year I used small shop, woolworths, dan murphys, and sony

coolstepslg

since the revamp is Gateway and Ascent points worth the same for VA redemption? is it worth trying to link an explorer business to a personal ascent card ?

fishyouyu

would like to apply for Explorer but not satisfy with the current offer only 50,000 pts. I know that last year there was 100,000 points, wasn't it?

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
would like to apply for Explorer but not satisfy with the current offer only 50,000 pts. I know that last year there was 100,000 points, wasn't it?
Welcome to AFF @fishyouyu.

It's 60,000 points with a referral, not 50,000. Agree that it could be more. We'd all like more points :)

But factor in the potential to earn 40,000 from a referral once you have the card and the points you can earn once you have the card, plus the looming cashback from small shop into your decision. For me this was enough to get the card now rather than wait for a higher sign on offer.

Last edited:

SOPOOR

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Ive recetlntly purchased a new phone and laptop, that are tops

Has anyone used the included insurance that replaces it if its broken or lost in the first 3 months?

fishyouyu

thanks for your reply, man. I have amex platinum from other countries, so it is enough now for my use, but I keep attention to the Explorer....

Welcome to AFF @fishyouyu.

It's 60,000 points with a referral, not 50,000. Agree that it could be more. We'd all like more points :)

But factor in the potential to earn 40,000 from a referral once you have the card and the points you can earn once you have the card, plus the looming cashback from small shop into your decision. For me this was enough to get the card now rather than wait for a higher sign on offer.

GSP

No longer emboldened.

Now disheartened.

They wanted ID of some form or would not process.

Told them no licence, no passport and no medicare card. Their response was no card for you.
Did you consider offering up the WOW Pet Insurance policy #? Further questioning could have been that the hound needed to become more self sufficient including paying it's premiums.

Aside, I've created a number of supp cards recently (as the Westpac AMEX) with no check on the details.

PDog

Supp card arrived today, applied online last week - no DL number provided and no call from Amex. We don’t have pets, but my mother in law will be using it for $500 then cancelling quick smart!

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I didnt give up. Now have all of my supps.

Solution was this:

Primary card = Adam Smith.
Supp card = Adrian Smith.
Supp card = Angela Smith.

No checks at all.

Problem solved!

Last edited:

NoName

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I didnt give up. Now have all of my supps.

Solution was this:

Primary card = Adam Smith.
Supp card = Adrian Smith.
Supp card = Angela Smith.

No checks at all.

Problem solved!

I have done this in the past as well. All cards same last name as me, first name begins with the same letter and I have the name appear on the card as “A Smith”. No potential issues with overzealous shop owners that way as my ID always matches the card.

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaybeMonday