Question - Status run for Gold Prior to travel? Worth it? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question Status run for Gold Prior to travel? Worth it?

knagelli

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
I was in a similar situation like @James White but ended up not doing the run and dropped to Silver after couple of years of Gold. However have a planned travel to LA in Dec 2019 with Mrs.K and kiddo. So checking if it will be any better to have gold when doing MEL - SFO return ( stopover at LAX for 5-6 hours).

As per my reading and information , VFF Gold will allow one guest but does that mean I can take either one of kiddo or Mrs.K.

Any suggestions will be appreciated as I am inclined to do the MEL-DUD return in I/J class based on pricing before the Dec travel but not really sure if its really worth to spend $1100 for the status run if lounge access is not gonna be given at LAX.

Astro

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
It's been said a few times on this forum that Gold is way better than Silver - Platinum isn't not much better than Gold.

I have to agree Gold is the sweet spot.

I think it depends on the age of kiddo? Under 12?

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
It's been said a few times on this forum that Gold is way better than Silver - Platinum isn't not much better than Gold.

1 guest allowed (including children) by the looks

Muppet501st

Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Ive asked at LAX DL lounge on a couple of occasions, to get in an child of 12yo. Both times been denied.
But ive also success at other DL lounges-just this year in CVG, my 15yo was allowed in above my 1 guest ( was early on an early Sunday morning, and about a dozen other pax at that time.

CPMaverick

Flights
My Map
Is having Gold Status on one return trip worth over $1000? Heck no.

Use that money to buy EconomyX and have a few nice meals at the airport. There's nothing at the lounge that you can't get in the airport with a bit of $$.

knagelli

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map

He is 3 and so trying to find ways to do the status run but again as @CPMaverick pointed out , I am not sure if I have to spend $1000 to attain gold as I will meet the criteria after my US Travel.

mapnz

I am short 2 SP to maintain Gold
Will do a status run to Coles at the cost of $200

• Haha
Reactions: Ade

Teal747

Intern
Well if you do it properly and buy things you normally would, then it's a cost of $0!
Yeah I thought I had calculated almost perfectly but was told a transtasman earns only 15 status points when part of a USA flight. I thought it was 20 SP... which I was told was only for transtasman not part of another trip.
Anyway not worth the discussion ...a trip to Cole's fixes it up 😁

AFF on Air Podcast

• Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt cha ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutricollector