Shop small to return in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourner

I just saw Amex Australia retweet EnergyAustralia confirming that shop small will be on from 1 - 30 November.

https://twitter.com/EnergyAustralia/status/522265635523674112

https://amexnetwork.com.au/shopsmall/

"Last November, Shop Small encouraged people to get out and give small business owners what they needed most – more customers. And Australia responded in record numbers. With Shop Small 2014 just around the corner, we’re getting excited to do it all over again this November, only bigger and better."

Thanks - I thought the credit was only $5 last time... but now it's $10 credit. I'm not complaining though ;)

Up to $100 credited back to your statement.
Register your Card and use it to spend $20 (or more) in a single transaction at a participating Shop Small business from 1 November to 30 November, and you'll get a $10 credit. You can redeem the offer up to 10 times at different Shop Small businesses![SUP]1[/SUP]

You can start registering your cards now, just done it for mine...happy days :)

Registered my card.

Managed only 3 last time. Not sure I'll get too many this time either.

If the shop is on the ShopSmall map and would not accept AMEX, I will just pay with a Visa/MC and lodge the receipt with AMEX team. They will honour it.

I got a credit from buying coffee pods from Kogan last time...I wonder..

Coupled with Entertainment book vouchers theres a couple of decent local $10-$20 dinners for 2 here..even a cheeky brekkie down the road.

Looking good Amex!

Westfield gift cards is listed..do they charge a fee for the card?

Last edited:
On the list of small shops I searched for the rocks and under the entertainment tab it lists Westfield gift cards...is there a westfield near centrepoint? Or is it where the sales from the westfield gift card site are processed?

Just may be one option for someone who struggles to get the full 10 credits ;)

Only shows Castlereagh st Syd and West Lakes in Adelaide from what I can see.

So apart from searching on the Amex website, are there any merchants recommended ?

The Shop Small map is a bit of a lottery. The business name and address that Amex uses seems to be whatever is associated with the merchant account, and is often not the same as the public-facing name. eg; The restaurant at the Vikings Club in Tuggeranong (ACT) is called the BaaMoo Bistro & Grill, but bills as Dally Pty Ltd in Mt Hunter (NSW), about 250km away. No surcharge for Amex. :)

M Gunner = Bakers Delight in Tuggeranong and Jerrabomberra. Nice bread, but I usually only spend $6 to $7 at a time.

For those who know their geography, take a look at where Amex thinks the Canberra Southern Cross Club in Tuggeranong is. I assume that it's shown where it is, since they've typo'd the address (multiple times, even). :confused:

On the subject of the Cross Club, the Woden one started charging 2% for Amex early last month, and I assume the other Cross Clubs do too, but unless you're spending a truck load, the $10 credit nicely covers it. :)

If anyone else here has VoIP accounts with Telecube or FaktorTel, both take Amex without a surcharge. I feel some $20 top-ups coming on..... :cool:

Oh, and some of the categorisations are a bit odd. eg; Anytime Fitness in Queanbeyan (as "NYTIME FITNESS" on the Amex site) is categorised as "Dining". :confused:

Last edited:
This means that I'll go get my hair cut Saturday morning for a credit ;)

Also that I can go hit the local pub :D

Oh yeah baby. Back in business.;) $10 credit this time is a 50% discount if you can arrange your spend in lots of $20! Registered 3 cards so just need to remember to swap cards when I have reached my limit on each in turn.

Last time AMEX ran a similar Shop Small promotion, I received an AMEX text each time, confirming the purchase/rebate.

I have entered the current promotion (for 1-30/11/14) and registration has been confirmed by AMEX.

In the previous promo I always received a confirming sms by the time I had walked out of each shop.

I kicked off the November promotion with a purchase over $20 this afternoon, at a café where I had made one in the previous promotion. However, no sms confirmation this time.

Has anyone made an eligible transaction yet and received confirmation that the $10 will be received as a credit to their AMEX account?

Some of the shops from last shopsmall promo are no in the list for November shopsmall.

Have you checked?

Last time AMEX ran a similar Shop Small promotion, I received an AMEX text each time, confirming the purchase/rebate.

I have entered the current promotion (for 1-30/11/14) and registration has been confirmed by AMEX.

In the previous promo I always received a confirming sms by the time I had walked out of each shop.

I kicked off the November promotion with a purchase over $20 this afternoon, at a café where I had made one in the previous promotion in the last prom. However, no sms confirmation this time.

Has anyone made an eligible transaction yet and received confirmation that the $10 will be received as a credit to their AMEX account?

Not sure about the SMS but I always received an email. Same experience for me this afternoon but instead of receiving the email confirming the credit earned I received the following;
Thank you for using your registered Card ending in xx_xx to Shop Small.

We're just checking to see if this purchase qualifies for the American Express Shop Small Offer* and if so, you will receive a $10 statement credit to your account in the next
5 days.*

I found the phrasing a little odd.

Anyone know of any good restaurant/cafe or bargain to be hunted in the November shopsmall in Canberra? I

Below are some of the ones I will be visiting

City
Little Sprout (kids shop at Canberra Centre)
Guzman y Gomez (Mexican food)
KoKo Black
Iori Japanese Restaurant
KIM’s GROCERIES (the basement korean shop next to Maccas at the city bus interchange)
Lemon Grass
Teddy Bear Shop!!

Belconnen
Kidstuff (kids shop next to Target in the Mall)
Zigg’s, Tom superfruits, Mikes Meats, Natural Living (all in Belco Fresh Food Market)
Dumpling Inn next to Jamison Centre (good yum cha!)

Dickson
Taj Agra
Sfoglia Cafe

Other
National Library Australia

There were businesses listed in the previous promotion that were not participating in that offer. Given that I found several, I'm not confident that this offer will be much different.

Edit: A chain coffee place, had been closed for 12 months, and was listed on the promotion app. Another, a restaurant that I go to has never accepted AMEX

Last edited:
I'm chuffed my favourite car wash supplies shop is on the list :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back