Shop Small June – August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncraigm

Intern
Qantas
LT Gold
Was on the Amex live chat earlier and the assistant stated that a new Shop Small promo would start early June. Spend amount would be $10 for a $5 refund. Another 'enhancement' with the move down from the usual $20/$10. I asked why it has been scaled back and got some tripe about it being better because of increased merchant availability and other features that are valuable etc etc.

With the recent MR points devaluation the value proposition continues to reduce again and again.

Hit and miss with me every year to be honest.... not surprising to say the least.

And here it is

Thanks for that:
Be part of the Shop Small offer to Card Members

From 10 June 2020, Card Members who save the offer to their Card and spend $10 or more on their card, in one transaction online or in-store at participating small businesses by 31 August 2020 will receive a $5 credit. Valid up to 10 times, once per participating business. We fund these offers at no extra cost to you.

I asked why it has been scaled back and got some tripe about it being better because of increased merchant availability and other features that are valuable etc etc
It's actually the same savings, $10/$5 10 times as oppose to $20/$10 5 times, but with less room for abuse with Opal card top-ups and similar. As far as shopping 'small' and supporting local businesses go, the promotion still hits the nail on the head and I look forward to capitalising. Considering dining out is harder to do right now anyway, shopping small shouldn't be too hard.

I just checked my app for the American express Qantas Business rewards card and noticed an offer whereby if I pay for Telstra, Optus, google and Australian paypal among others at $20 and over, I will receive a $20 refund!

Not excited about this, will still shopsmall in my regulars, but won’t go out of my way to max it out. Just not worth it for $5 each time, and painful splitting multiple $10...even though I use to Semi-regularly split $60 into 3x $20 in other years. I expect they will have the regular shopsmall in November as well.

Doubt it. They probably brought it forward a few months to give cardholders some extra value during the current crisis, since they can't use their travel perks.
There have frequently been more than one small shop offered within a year. This is not unprecedented or necessarily moved forward from the regular November offering of small shop.

They have had multiple ones in the past, but which have always been much shorter. Given that this one is being run for over 2.5 months, I think it less likely they'll do another again in November - but you never know.

That's a huge usage window though - over 2.5 months, from 10 June to 31 August. They've never done one as long as that.

Yeah, maybe to allow for that this promo allows for more redemptions (as noted earlier, $10/$5 x 10 rather than the previous $20/$10 x 5) although I never had much trouble hitting the Shop Small ceiling in a few weeks!

The amounts work okay for me, covers two coffees and a banana bread in the morning or lunch at the local food court - just wish there were some loopholes like the old Opal top-ups!

As a single person Shop Small was great to buy a nice breakfast, get a takeaway pizza or fish & chips from the local cafes. This year I guess it'll be more coffee & cake, which isn't all bad. mmmm 🍰

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back