Requesting QF open up an F award on QF1 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Requesting QF open up an F award on QF1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulST

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Hi all, apologies if this is a silly question but I'm curious to know how realistic the following is.

I'm currently saving to hit 192,000 QF points by Jan/Feb 2017 and hope to request QF open (I'm WP) a First award on QF 1 SYD-LHR for sometime in September 2017. I'm fairly flexible within September (I'll book the holiday around getting the flight... :) ) and would be looking to fly on a Friday, Sat or Sun.

I've just hit WP for the first time and have only (successfully) requested one previous award be opened (PE on QF117) so I'm curious to know what my chances would be like on QF1?

Thanks

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
If it was me, I'd be optimistic, but double check the dates for events, holidays etc in the UK and Oz, and of course avoid those.

Of course a better chance if you didn't mind EK First as an additional option, which I'd prefer anyway.

Princess Fiona

Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
Hi all, apologies if this is a silly question but I'm curious to know how realistic the following is.

I'm currently saving to hit 192,000 QF points by Jan/Feb 2017 and hope to request QF open (I'm WP) a First award on QF 1 SYD-LHR for sometime in September 2017. I'm fairly flexible within September (I'll book the holiday around getting the flight... :) ) and would be looking to fly on a Friday, Sat or Sun.

I've just hit WP for the first time and have only (successfully) requested one previous award be opened (PE on QF117) so I'm curious to know what my chances would be like on QF1?

Thanks
Don't pick Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. Midweek has a better chance.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
September generally tough. . I suspect any initial avalability has been snapped up.

Expert flyer / KVS Let's are a good idea.

vantage03

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
They're increasingly tight with it, loadings don't give an indication anymore either. QF9 via Melb much easier, unfortunately.

Kangol

Established Member
AFF Supporter
They're increasingly tight with it, loadings don't give an indication anymore either. QF9 via Melb much easier, unfortunately.
This. But weekend travel may be the kicker regardless of which port you choose.
Mon or Tues could be the difference between flying F and not flying F.

GoldCanyon340

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
My recent QF award bookings in F have all had to be QF9/10. QF 1/2 F seats, in my experience, are much harder to find. As noted, you'll probably get more availability with EK.

UK School holidays end the first Tuesday of September so that may help with your search.

PaulST

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Thanks for the replies.
Yep there's not much availability now so I'd have to request a release.

I'd certainly be looking at QF metal over EK (tried the latter on the trans-Tasman hop) and would prefer to fly out of SYD, but going via MEL may be what I'll have to do. 1130pm is quite a late departure too! I want to savour the experience and sleeping is the last thing I would want to do! :)

Maybe I'll try and push work to give me two weeks off, starting and ending in the middle of a week.

GoldCanyon340

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
Yep there's not much availability now so I'd have to request a release.

1130pm is quite a late departure too! I want to savour the experience and sleeping is the last thing I would want to do! :).
My caveats being that all my travel is for leisure and I'm ADL based so the Australian departure port and time are of less consequence to me. That said, my preference is QF1 ex-Australia as I prefer lunchtime to late afternoon departures so as to enjoy a good lunch and the odd glass of grape juice ;)

mviy

Established Member
Ideally if you're going to get an award seat in one direction you'd also get one for the return leg. It can be expensive to pay for a one way cash fare.

PaulST

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Ideally if you're going to get an award seat in one direction you'd also get one for the return leg. It can be expensive to pay for a one way cash fare.
Yep I won't be flying back with QF. Either I'll use some creative routing with a revenue J fare (I've found Athens-SYD J flights in the 2thousands) or use AA points for something (haven't tried Etihad so that may be a preferred option).

GoldCanyon340

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
Yep I won't be flying back with QF. Either I'll use some creative routing with a revenue J fare (I've found Athens-SYD J flights in the 2thousands) or use AA points for something (haven't tried Etihad so that may be a preferred option).
ATH does have good fares at the moment. Always consider OSL too, which is my current go to city for revenue fares in and out of Europe.

PaulST

Established Member
Flights
My Map
ATH does have good fares at the moment. Always consider OSL too, which is my current go to city for revenue fares in and out of Europe.
I was amazed at the ATH fares! It had a random flight nigher (Air Croatia?) but the flights were all in J (A320 and A388) an in Etihad flight numbers.
My plan is to fly via Oslo (ideally in the A359) next year when I attempt to retain Gold (no hope to retaining WP this year so I have to cut my losses).

kitkatff

Silly question possibly, but why F on QF for a reward, wouldn't EK be superior, from the accounts I've read so far (shower, bar, seat)?

Princess Fiona

Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
Silly question possibly, but why F on QF for a reward, wouldn't EK be superior, from the accounts I've read so far (shower, bar, seat)?
You can't request QF to open Award space on any other carrier than QF

PaulST

Established Member
Flights
My Map
EK F is pretty good but I always grew up with QF being the ultimate airline so it's a sentimental thing. :) Plus, I've tried EK F (albeit trans-tasman).

snabbu

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I think they key here is that you are flexible. Being WP and requesting one seat in a calendar month, I like your chances of success, even if it has to be via MEL.

hotpaws

Intern
Interestingly, I requested a seat to be opened up on QF1 on a Sunday Syd - Dxb, with Expert Flyer showing F9 A9 about 2 months out (for a Sunday departure early November), and was declined, so ended up on QF9. I then found about 3 weeks later P1 showing on this exact flight, so snagged it. Not sure how this happened, whether someone cancelled and the seat was released back into P bucket, or if revenue management released another seat. The flight ended up going out full, although was F7 A7 3 days before, so suspect mostly upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reidy