Question on Air canada?

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by JamieB, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. JamieB

JamieB Junior Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Adelaide, SA
    Hi All,
    Probably an easy question for those in the know.
    I am flying return from lax-yvr in a week with Air Canada and just wondered which frequent flyer program we should allocate these miles too?
    I am a Qantas FF member and don't plan to fly with AC again in a hurry.
    Thanks

2. BlacKnox

BlacKnox Active Member

Jan 29, 2005
    If you're an infrequent *A flyer, note Asiana's (OZ) FF miles never expire. Yet understand too that OZs redemption rates are probably the worst in *A. For a couple of thousand miles though, does it make a difference?

3. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Air Canada are a star alliance partner. don't forget your $2.50 CDN for a pillow ... i kid you not.

4. JamieB

JamieB Junior Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Adelaide, SA
    I can't wait to purchase a pillow :D
    So out of the star alliance which partner would be best to join to maximise our points?

5. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    Have a look at Air NZ Airpoints.

I'm not sure about the earn rate for AC, but maybe you'll have enough for a oneway to NZ.

You have to pay to join.

I have some AC boarding passes in a drawer at home and I'm still not sure what to do with them! Though mine were tiny flights within Canada so its not worth joining Airpoints - but for a long trip like yours, might be worthwhile.

6. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I dont think so. Some cheap AC fares are ineligible for mileage earning. From Airpoints T&Cs

If it is a mileage earning fare type, then the number of aussie airbucks earned each way on LAX-YVR (just over 1000 miles) is 15 if discount economy or 25 if full economy.

If this is likely the only *A earning then its not even worth the joining fee, let alone a trip to NZ.