QF94 Qantas wake turbulence incident

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by juddles, Jun 14, 2018.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. juddles

juddles Established Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Sth America
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The Today Show (@TheTodayShow) | Twitter

Not sure if the link works or this is already posted in another thread. It appears an A380 heading LAX to MEL sufferred a pretty severe "wake turbulence" incident. Pax describing nosedive or freefall for 10 seconds.

Interesting. Anyone know any more on this? Anyone hurt? Or just a storm in a tea cup? (sorry)

2. docjames

docjames Senior Member

Jul 10, 2007
    On the highway
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Eddie McGuire was on MMM radio in Melbourne this morning. About 10 seconds of wake turbulence, with the Pilots giving PA to pax fairly immediately explaining what had occurred. Seems it was in the wake of the A380 headed to SYD. Nil further issues during the flight.

Eddie's explanation was that it felt like a bit more than usual turbulence then all over in 10 seconds and not a concern and an immediate PA.

He implied the reporting has been somewhat hysterical......:confused:

3. Welsh-Kiwi

Welsh-Kiwi Member

Apr 1, 2013
    AKL
    The NZ media is reporting a 10 second full nose dive according to passenger reports - I’m keen to learn more about this incident.

4. Ansett

Ansett Established Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Melbourne
    Appears to be an over exaggeration of the situation according to Eddie on Today this morning ot was a little bit of unexpected bad turbulence for less than 10 seconds no nosedive as being reported more a turn to the left than anything else.

Eddie, as mentioned above, even said that there appears to be some over zealous reporting of the incident and indeed the turbulence on the way over was far worse.

5. Quickstatus

Quickstatus Senior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    NSW
    Media love to report nose dives.

An aircraft that size flying along can’t suddenly go from a pitch of a few degrees up to a “full” nose dive in seconds and then recover to normal attitude a few seconds later.

FlightAware did not even register a significant drop in altitude assuming the event as reported occurred 2 hours into the flight.

I don’t even think it’s “over zealous” reporting, just reporting by journalists who are again uninformed and ignorant fed stories by some passengers who are the same.

Just a bit of turbulence unlike the Challenger encounter with an A380...

6. Welsh-Kiwi

Welsh-Kiwi Member

Apr 1, 2013
    AKL
    I wonder if @jb747 was flying that plane?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Quickstatus

Oct 13, 2013
    NSW
    #7 Quickstatus, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Not according to his roster postings in Ask The Pilot ,

In any case the ATSB is on to it but late so CVR and FDR would likely not be available?

8. flydoc

flydoc Intern

Apr 24, 2015
    ABC radio current affairs reporting tonight that the ATSB was notified of the incident within the required 72 hour timeframe, but are not investigating as no safety issue was identified.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Major

Major Established Member

Jan 21, 2011
    OOL/BNE
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  10. juddles

Aug 2, 2011
    Sth America
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    #11 MEL_Traveller, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Qantas responds: Qantas pilot defends A380 after turbulence drama

As a piece of PR I would have perhaps tackled it slightly differently. Telling people they 'do not understand' can come across as a bit confrontational (dismissive as in 'you just don't understand', or 'you're being irrational'). I would have acknowledged the feelings - 'turbulence can be frightening' - followed by the reassurance - 'but it needed be!'. And then provide the factual explanation and design elements of the aircraft to counter it (turbulence). Repeatedly telling people they don't understand can leave an overall negative impression. It's always hard to know how the words have been edited, but that's one of the things to look out for when giving a statement.

12. Quickstatus

Oct 13, 2013
    NSW
    I read it differently and thought the comments by the Chief Pilot was reasonable. Journalists though really should be a little more informed when they are reporting and think twice before doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Himeno

Himeno Established Member

Jun 15, 2011
    But then they can't give the talking heads their 5 minutes.

14. jb747

jb747 Senior Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It's interesting the the Chief Pilot has had to say anything..given that the event was a 'non event' anyway. I guess it just shows how the media and their click bait works.

The way they home in on the loudest, and generally least informed, for their quotes is indicative of the overall quality ....

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RailFlyer

RailFlyer Intern

Jul 26, 2008
    Auckland
    jb747 - silly question.... is it possible to draft one plane behind another to save fuel - like cyclists do? Not passenger but maybe military fast jets to increase range?

16. Quickstatus

Oct 13, 2013
    NSW
    1 minute is too much.

17. juddles

Aug 2, 2011
    Sth America
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not the way cyclists do, but the way real birds do, yes. I recall someone did a study (I think the US airforce) and they obtained a % or two in fuel savings.

18. jb747

jb747 Senior Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    In theory perhaps, but I’d expect it would have to be military style, VERY close formation. You’d then end up using more fuel because the constant throttle and control inputs required would add up to a decrease in efficiency.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. cove

cove Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2010
    Perth
    One of our suppliers was on board. He had food and a drink served and had his seat belt fastened. It was all over pretty quickly but things did get tossed around. He did say he was lifted up out of his seat but the seat belt held.

20. Ansett

Ansett Established Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Melbourne
    Interestingly watching Air Crash Investigation on QF72 yesterday, now that was a major incident compared to this.

Perhaps the Journos should actually try flying once in a while.