Qantas Premier Credit Card | Page 24 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas Premier Credit Card

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Bugger. If you have no debt and own your own home plus a reasonable income do you have any idea what the percentage of credit card limit to income is in terms of what they usually are happy to approve?
Not in a position to comment on this.

ellen10

Established Member
AFF Supporter
So my annual fee ($299) is due.
I phoned today and they agreed to halve the fee to $149.50. I suppose I could have tried to hold out but I didn't want to really cancel this card and go through the whole process of applying for a different card. I had so much angst with my latest ANZ card application. (ANZ did not like that I was salary sacrificing a large amount into super).
I know people on here have had problems with Citi bank but all my dealings with them have been good, and I like the 1:1 QFF conversion.

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I phoned today and they agreed to halve the fee to $149.50 ..
You did better than I did. Manila was not interested in halving my fee. I must be doing something wrong.

... I had so much angst with my latest ANZ card application. (ANZ did not like that I was salary sacrificing a large amount into super) ...
And ANZ actually said that? Seems a bit over-the-top (if not outrageous). Many are able to salary sacrifice up to 100% of their wages and use a spouse’s, etc., income as living expenses.

• Agree
Reactions: VPS

ellen10

Established Member
AFF Supporter
You did better than I did. Manila was not interested in halving my fee. I must be doing something wrong.

Yes I was happy with the outcome as I had read of others not being so lucky.

And ANZ actually said that? Seems a bit over-the-top (if not outrageous). Many are able to salary sacrifice up to 100% of their wages and use a spouse’s, etc., income as living expenses.
Yes ANZ were difficult, despite owning our house (no mortgage) substantial savings. Questioned my payslips and the take home pay (less the salary sacrifice). I had previously had this card and applied after the 12 month cooling off period. I'm looking at retiring in about 12 months time and fear that getting new credit cards will be difficult even though I will have a super income.

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
... I'm looking at retiring in about 12 months time and fear that getting new credit cards will be difficult even though I will have a super income.
At Least you are getting the credit cards sorted before retirement, to save further issues.

nickfromeastryde

I phoned today and they agreed to halve the fee to $149.50. I suppose I could have tried to hold out but I didn't want to really cancel this card and go through the whole process of applying for a different card. I had so much angst with my latest ANZ card application. (ANZ did not like that I was salary sacrificing a large amount into super).
I know people on here have had problems with Citi bank but all my dealings with them have been good, and I like the 1:1 QFF conversion.
Mine is coming up next month, what did you say to get them to halve the fee?

ellen10

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I phoned and said "I know my annual fee is due and I don't wish to pay it". The operator looked at my account and said yes I can see that it is due, I will have to put your through to my manager. So then someone else came on the line I repeated what I said about not wishing to pay the annual fee. I added that you can see that I use this card frequently. She said "let me take a look". Then she came back on the line and said that she can halve my annual fee. I would pay $149.50 and she would put a waiver through for the other half. I said I was happy with that and thanked her.

I have just checked my account, and yes I have an annual fee debit of $299 and a credit of $149.50 which says waiver until Nov 2020.

I was happy with the outcome. As I said previously I like the card and have had several shopping offers of extra points along the way.

Good luck, report back on your outcome.

nickfromeastryde

I phoned and said "I know my annual fee is due and I don't wish to pay it". The operator looked at my account and said yes I can see that it is due, I will have to put your through to my manager. So then someone else came on the line I repeated what I said about not wishing to pay the annual fee. I added that you can see that I use this card frequently. She said "let me take a look". Then she came back on the line and said that she can halve my annual fee. I would pay $149.50 and she would put a waiver through for the other half. I said I was happy with that and thanked her.

I have just checked my account, and yes I have an annual fee debit of $299 and a credit of $149.50 which says waiver until Nov 2020.

I was happy with the outcome. As I said previously I like the card and have had several shopping offers of extra points along the way.

Good luck, report back on your outcome.
Thanks Ellen, I will be just as direct and see how it goes. Will certainly let the forum know how I get on.

I love to travel

Qantas
Platinum
Just for interest the application process is broken at the moment, you can't get past the employment screen. Won't be fixed until 24 November at least.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo114