Qantas Premier Card fraudulently used to book hotel rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

slinky123

Hi Everyone,
Someone has used my card to book rooms at two different hotels in France.
I phoned the hotel and they received an email stating my card number wanting to book 3 rooms. The next day they wanted to cancel the booking but wanted the funds refunded to a different account. The hotel said no, so I got that money back.
They did the same at another hotel but I did not get that back and $1300 has been taken.
Citibank have stopped my card and hopefully it won't take them long to return my funds.

What concerns me most is that there seem to be no fraud protections in place. There is no ability to receive a text for card alerts, nor can I disable foreign transactions.

Does anyone know of a way to properly secure the Citibank card?

When I spend more than a certain amount I get an email advising me that I've used my card and that if it isn't a genuine spend to immediately advice CitiBank.

Did you receive this advice and act appropriately?

When I had a Citibank card a few years ago, I got a text message alerting me to a purchase when someone had used the card to buy some clothing and they identified it wasn't me. I called them, they had blocked the purchase and organised a new card which arrived in a few days. It seemed like their fraud processes worked pretty well

Hi everyone, I got no emails nor text messages, I logged in to Qantas Money and cannot find anywhere to do that. The account is currently frozen pending the issue of the new card, they also told me there is no way to do that. When the account is up and running again I shall look into that further.

I am very impressed though that it only took Citi 2 days to return the funds to my account :)

I have had 2 instances of being contacted by Qantas Premier to say that some fraudulent activity had occurred. Twice my card has been blocked and a new one issued. Which is a bit of a pain because I have a couple of direct credits coming out.

It has been quite concerning as I have never had this instance with any other card. Fortunately I was home in Australia so was able to be contacted immediately by the CC company. But how did this happen? The second time apparently someone had done a small transaction of about 2 pound, probably just fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back