Qantas points ABOVE credit limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardiology

I am using the Qantas AMEX Premium Card with a $8000 monthly limit. If I deposit $20,000 into the account and make a payment of $28000, will I earn QFF points basing on the $28000 spending or will the cap still be at $8000?

Thanks

The card itself doesn't have a monthly points cap, so if you did eg 3 payments of $8k and then paid them off immediately, you'd get the points. It's going into positive balance and going over your limit that can cause issues. Agree with the poster above - call them first.

Last edited:
The card itself doesn't have a monthly points cap, so if you did eg 3 payments of $9k and then paid them off immediately, you'd get the points. It's going into positive balance and going over your limit that can cause issues. Agree with the poster above - call them first.
Thanks for the heads up. Any experience before that they will allow the payment to go through if I deposit in advance? They definitely know that I am after the extra QFF points!

Amex won’t let you go into credit. They’ll suspend your card. It’s not like a bank issued card where you can put it into credit to make a larger payment.

I agree, check in with them first otherwise just split your payment up and pay it off immediately after every payment.

You can speed it up by doing a payment over the phone with an operator where the funds are available immediately but can only do that once every 72 hours (some operators will let you pay within the 72 hours with a supplementary but just won’t). They’re pretty fast with posting BPay payments to your account.

I've done worse, but in small increments. I had a amex edge linked to the charge card. I managed to bpay 5k to 7k and spend the said amount and wait for the balance to correct it self, but I never went into positive balance more than by 2k. Managed to spend 27k with a 9k limit on that card over 1 month. Amex didn't call or suspend my card.

And I have charged approximately 2 to 3k over my 12k limit on age as well for 4 months now. My balance frequently over my limit.Again, Amex didn't call or suspend my card.

Not sure why amex or any company is so senstive on positive balances.

A few months ago i went 10k positve x 2 on two amex cards.

Didnt get suspended

I believe that you can call them if you are going to make a charge which is above the credit limit, but the CSR I was chatting to said not to put the card more than $1000 in credit as this starts causing problems (e.g., fraud team).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back