Qantas Cash problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgichard

Earler this month I loaded euros onto my Qantas Cash card in anticipation of a trip to France. (Happened to catch an $AU:Euro exchange rate better than it is currently.) But I tried to use it today to pay for a minor upgrade on an existing Aegean Air booking and it was not accepted, even though I had used the same card to pay for the main booking which cost quite a bit more. Ended up having to use an AU card via PayPal.

Has anyone else had problems recently using their Qantas Cash card for an online purchase? An concerned because a fair proportion of my French holiday money is now residing on that card.)

I noticed the "Mastercard secure payment" logo beside the credit card number slot on the Aegean website. Don't remember if that was there before. Nor do I recall an option to register the Qantas Cash card for that type of verification. Is this something new that has been introduced recently in relation to this card in particular? (I am aware of Verified by Visa and have been having problems with that too recently; they keep asking for a mobile phone number which I do not have.)

Earler this month I loaded euros onto my Qantas Cash card in anticipation of a trip to France. (Happened to catch an $AU:Euro exchange rate better than it is currently.) But I tried to use it today to pay for a minor upgrade on an existing Aegean Air booking and it was not accepted, even though I had used the same card to pay for the main booking which cost quite a bit more. Ended up having to use an AU card via PayPal.

Has anyone else had problems recently using their Qantas Cash card for an online purchase? An concerned because a fair proportion of my French holiday money is now residing on that card.)

I noticed the "Mastercard secure payment" logo beside the credit card number slot on the Aegean website. Don't remember if that was there before. Nor do I recall an option to register the Qantas Cash card for that type of verification. Is this something new that has been introduced recently in relation to this card in particular? (I am aware of Verified by Visa and have been having problems with that too recently; they keep asking for a mobile phone number which I do not have.)

Have you moved or changed address? The Qantas Cash card doesnt sync with your QFF profile so if you move your address has to be updated manually with Qantas Cash. By manually i mean you have to call them as its not something you can change online. While you might be able to change some things i believe postcode you cant do online.

Ive had issues before with addresses being 100% correct to what is on the Qantas Cash system when i was paying for stuff so my payment got rejected. It took me ages to realise I had my address as U 123/456 Street Road, Suburb. I had been using 123/456 Street Road, Suburb.
Once i just copied from my Qantas Cash profile to the payment i was making it worked.

If its not an address issue i would also suggest calling Qantas Cash. They should have access to the account and can see why the transaction was declined on their end. They might be able to give you some insight and what your current info is.

Ive used the card heaps overseas without issue.
France, UK, USA without issue.

Bit off topic, but still to do with the QCC.
I travel to AKL regularly.
Tried to use the card a while back, prior to Mar to top up my AT Hop card online here in Aust, no can do, rejected it said.
The AT Hop card worked on prior trips, at AT Hop machines over there, and is registered to me.
I was downcast.
But I tried it, topping with another Aust card, (live in Aust), and the top up succeeded.
Got to Auckland, and tried the top up with the
QCC at an AT machine, it worked.
And the points have appeared in my QFF account a bit after the trip.
Problem might be with the Aegean payment system not recognising the QCC set of card numbers.
I tried with my VGW card to top up online prior to trip, it also got rejected, prior to the Mar this year trip.
Tried the VGW card at another AT Hop machine and at a staffed booth at Botany (NZ), it also worked.

Why do well-read, established members of this forum use ANY type of travel cash card, knowing the awful forex rates and high fees, compared to the usually recommended 28 degrees CC and Citibank Plus debit card combination?

Why do well-read, established members of this forum use ANY type of travel cash card, knowing the awful forex rates and high fees, compared to the usually recommended 28 degrees CC and Citibank Plus debit card combination?
Sucked in by point earning opportunities most likely.

Not everyone wants a credit card whether it be for financial reasons or any other reason.
Both the QF and VA Travel cards can offer a way for point earn without the shackles of a credit card.

Each to their own really.

I did have the problem one day when I was in the USA. It was fine the next day and I think my problem was related to a problem with Qantas cash website at the time I was trying to use it.

As someone who prefers to use a debit card if possible I love the fact that I can get points whilst shopping which is why I will use the Qantas cash card whenever possible.

Interesting responses.
Qantas Money say there is no problem with my card or my account. My attempted use of my card didn't show up on their system. All they can suggest is that there must have been some glitch in Aegean Air's card processing system at the time. Not much help, really.

But it turned out that QC didn't have my current email address, so it was useful that I could update that over the phone, though I was told that the card problem was not related to that. I was reassured that all should be well in future, and reminded not to use it for a hotel booking deposit.

Like mannej, I too prefer to use a debit card and I like to be able to pay in pre-loaded euros, rather than have to think about fluctuations in exxchange rates, or add to the monthly bills I have to take care of either before or after travel. In any case I know I can't take out a new credit card because I have no income from employment, only part-age pension + SMSF withdrawals.With the ING debit card now fee-free for overseas use, I can use that as a back-up if need be. When I've used up what I've loaded onto the Qantas Cash card, I my consider opening one of the new HSBC Everyday Global Accounts.

I have no interest in accumulating Qantas FF points (unless I ever proved to have enough to donate a sleeping-bag). I would far rather have KrisFlyer points for travel on Singpore Air, as I never fly Qantas.

Final query, I notice my QCC is due to expire in November this year: do they send out the replacement automatically?

Because it lets you lock in the rate?

I carry the QCC because I am not able to get the other range of cards, true credit cards.
Have always a 2nd back up non VGW card with me too, as well as a bit on my bank's non visa/mastercard cards.
QCC also has no debt generated when I spend on it.
And yes, I do also carry NZD cash notes with me too.
Being able to lock in the foreign cash value, so you do know how much you have is/can be a good thing, no matter if the AUD$ to the currency of your country of visit might be poor/bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back