Qantas Cash for general banking

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorCharlie

Hi Guys.
I have the Qantas Cash Prepaid debit card and have been wondering if anybody uses it for everyday purchases in Australia regularly? I know the exchange rates are poor for overseas use but what about having my weekly pay deposited directly onto it and paying bills and using it for general expenses?

I had a look at the terms and conditions but didn't find anything to say its a no go.

Interested to hear your thoughts as it seems like an easy way to get points without too much fuss.

I used to do this until they changed the points earn - it used to be 1 point for every $2 spent, so it kind of lost its shine for me. It works perfectly well though! There are a few issues though as it is a prepaid card - you can't use it on the uber ap for example.

You could use it as an everyday card. Not sure if you could have your pay put on it though. Would need to research that one.

I just find it to be a clunky product that isn't particularly user friendly so would find a cheap credit card (assuming you can get one) instead

I know of people who used it domestically as an alternative to for them unobtainable rewards Credit Cards.

Now even at ¼ point per dollar, I suppose it better than nothing.

You could use it as an everyday card. Not sure if you could have your pay put on it though. Would need to research that one.
From the Qantas Cash FAQs:

Yes, your salary (or part of it) can be loaded directly to Qantas Cash.

You’ll need to provide your employer with the Qantas Cash BSB and your unique account number. The BSB is the same for all members however your account number is unique, and applies to your facility only.

Qantas Cash BSB: 880-116

Account Number: Your unique 9 digit account number

Name: ‘your name’

To get your unique account number log in and select ‘Settings’ then ‘Load Settings’.

Used to, but the earn rate is now too low.
I just only use it occasionally now, just to prevent it from going into "unused mode" or what ever they call it.
1 point per Aud$2 spent in Aust, I can bear, 1 point per Aud$4 is a bit hard.
Also not sure if you can give your employer the QCC bsb and account number, and if employer can pay wages into it.
Edit: just noticed replies, (ah, so giving employer/payer QCC bsb and account number can work for wages to go in).

Last edited:
Not sure, haven't really chased down the t&c which I should, probably 13 months of non usage.
Edit: maybe Finder is correct, I have cut and paste here:
Earn Qantas Points per $1 you spend in up to 10 major international currencies.
Card Issue Fee $0
Initial Load Fee $0
ATM Withdrawal Fee AUD 1.95, CAD 2.00, EUR 1.50, GBP 1.25, HKD 15.00, JPY 160, NZD 2.50, SGD 2.50, USD 1.95, THB 70.00, AED 6.50
Reload Fee $0
Monthly Inactivity Fee $0

This was before the o/seas points earnt rate went to 1.5 points per Aud$1 overseas spend.
So, if we can assume the last line is right, then no fee even if we don't use the card after its issued, even if they have to send one QCC out each year as the card only last that long, if you have QF status.
Think that QF NB QCC last more than a year.

Last edited:
I thought the ATM withdrawal fee would make it unfeasible to use for general banking. I get 1 QFFP for $1 AUD spend but have to pay up to 1% extra in Forex rates for this privilege as I am NZ based....I get the 1 QFFP for $2 NZD spend.
For me forex purchase under $1000 NZD it is similar to buying cash but I get QFFP. For NZD purchase I use it more for budgeting reasons, I tend to max out my CC cards reward limits and just use this as a top up. Forex compared to CC that I have not really much difference anyway.

I agree that the ATM withdrawal fee makes this card unsuitable as a general use card. One would have to spend $780 using the card to earn enough points to cover the cost of just one withdrawal in Australia (assuming one cent per point). Last time I looked, my bank debit cards didn't earn points, but didn't have ATM withdrawal fees either.

I did recently use my Qantas Cash card though. Qantas have a promotion that enables one to win a big prize if one earns points in different categories by the end of the year, and one of the categories was Qantas Cash. So I spent $4 on Qantas cash to earn one point, and make me eligible for the competition.
Regards,
Renato

I did recently use my Qantas Cash card though. Qantas have a promotion that enables one to win a big prize if one earns points in different categories by the end of the year, and one of the categories was Qantas Cash. So I spent $4 on Qantas cash to earn one point, and make me eligible for the competition.
Same here, I put my $20 lunch on it recently just for the purposes of earning a few points through it for the competition.

How so? Unless one receives offers from WWR, it is much easier to earn a QFF point from QC.
Offers are very common in my experience. But even without them it isn't hard to rack up points that will transfer to your QFF account just via normal spending.

Offers are very common in my experience. But even without them it isn't hard to rack up points that will transfer to your QFF account just via normal spending.

I find that Flybuys are much more generous providing offers than WWR.

QC or using the Points Mall is much easier if one is after a small spend to keep their QFF account active.

Thread jack...
With WWR you don't earn any rewards with mobile phone recharged.
WW will debit your card for all items just the mobile phone recharge will not earn basic or bonus points under WWR.
Under QCC you will earn points for mobile phone recgarges
BigW also was dropped as a WWR partner, no WWR points basic or bonus but earns under QCC spending.
Flybuys is the winner here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back