Qantas Cash - combined frequent flyer and travel money card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds interesting, I wonder if the currencies are specified or user-selected?

Hi there,

Currently we have just released what was in the media release. And more info will come out over the next few months.

If you have questions on what you see in news articles, post them here and I'll do my best to answer what I can.

We are very excited about it though! A great new way to earn points.

Currencies are specific but we have chosen them based on what people use most.

This is really interesting.

Will reloads/expenditure/balances have any incentives by means of QFF points?

Also, will reloads be allowed from Credit Cards (through BPAY)?

Attached is the Press Release.

I listened in on the Media Conference call. Some points which you may find interesting:
- cards available to all tiers of membership (including Bronze) - this will allow all QFF members the ability to use their card to check-in at airports and as their boarding pass.
- new card will be mailed out in 3rd Quarter this year
- you will need to opt-in to use the "money" features of the card
- no clear answer to costs and fees yet - this will be announced later this year.

The only thing I want to know is what is the points-per-dollar earn?!

Attached is the Press Release.

I listened in on the Media Conference call. Some points which you may find interesting:
- cards available to all tiers of membership (including Bronze) - this will allow all QFF members the ability to use their card to check-in at airports and as their boarding pass.
- new card will be mailed out in 3rd Quarter this year
- you will need to opt-in to use the "money" features of the card
- no clear answer to costs and fees yet - this will be announced later this year.

OH, so all QFF's are getting new cards, regardless of whether they use it as a CC or not?

The only thing I want to know is what is the points-per-dollar earn?!

Based on one of the questions in the media release, I suspect it will be at a lower rate than what you would earn on credit card spend...

3. Will this compete with customers currently earning Frequent Flyer points by making purchases on their credit cards?

No. For many customers and many transactions, a credit card linked to their Frequent Flyer membership will remain the best choice for them. For other customers and other transactions, Qantas Cash TM lets members earn Frequent Flyer points for transactions where they would not do so if they used cash

I must say, I'm impressed. As a fairly Frequent Flyer who doesn't have an 'income', but manages to fly enough for Platinum every year, I can't get a CC. Keep being denied naturally. However this card could be the answer to some of my lack of points earning on purchases and I would gladly load up money on a card if I could just get the points after purchase... that said, fees will be the issue. If I'm paying just to use the card, that's unfortunate.

That AusBT article in the OP is worth a read - says a bit more than the Press release, for example:

However, Grant confirmed that using the card to make payments with Qantas Frequent Flyer partners such as Woolworths and Optus would allow double dipping on points.

As this looks a good benefit for FFers, I guess we are not calling it an 'enhancement'?

It will be interesting to see if there is a charge for loading money onto the card like some of the other travel cards.

Also after a certain period of inactivity if there is a monthly fee or if the money 'expires', as is also the case with some of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back