Qantas AMEX Ultimate Card - 100,000 Bonus Points (new as 30/1/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock86

Established Member
Receive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points - referral links currently still show 65,000.

When you apply online by 9 April 2018, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders.
  • Receive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points
  • 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies.
  • Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
  • $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year
The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card | AMEX Australia

Can the QF travel credit be used to book multiple trips to use up the full $450?

You can book for multiple passengers on the one booking. It doesn't have to be $450 for just the one passenger. So say you're doing BNE-SYD return you could book for 2-3 people to spend the full $450 so you don't waste any of it.

On the Amex website where you can "Refer a Friend" it specifically states: "I receive 30k points" "They receive 100k"

Last edited:
Hi quick question.

thinking of getting this for the wife as she has an empty credit file where only just applied for the Qantas premier card. she earns $37k where i earn well over the minimum required. The below i have copied from their card info page:
"I have a personal or household gross (pre-tax) annual income of $65,000 or more"
how does the household gross income work, am i listed as a joint holder of the card? does including my income preclude me from applying separately myself later?

Was also thinking of possibly having her refer me later for the card as well for the points, would this be any issue?

Hi quick question.

thinking of getting this for the wife as she has an empty credit file where only just applied for the Qantas premier card. she earns $37k where i earn well over the minimum required. The below i have copied from their card info page:
"I have a personal or household gross (pre-tax) annual income of $65,000 or more"
how does the household gross income work, am i listed as a joint holder of the card? does including my income preclude me from applying separately myself later?

Was also thinking of possibly having her refer me later for the card as well for the points, would this be any issue?

No issue whatsoever in regards to the referral.

Including your income will not preclude you from obtaining the card at another time even if your wife is approved and as ambiguous as it sounds, in regards to the household income it will really depend on what weighting AMEX gives it in their assessment criteria. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone on this forum would have that on hand, and I doubt that the supplement persons income would hold as much weight as the primary cardholder due to AMEX really having no recourse to recover their debt from your partner.

Also, on a side note, my wife's income was $55,000 when applying for this card due to maternity leave & going back to work part time, and she was approved for the card due to the household income however YMMV.

I've read on this forum you can deifinitdd do compined incomes when apply for Amex. It was on the retiree article about how to apply for credit when you have no income. And they said with Amex you can put your joint income.

thanks to both of you, will apply when i've completed my spend on the current card.

Signed up and approved yesterday. This will probably be a keeper for me now that the RBA has effectively killed the bank issued AMEX.

At least until a better one comes along. The 100000 points even if you've previously held a bank issued AMEX was a winner for me.

For anyone that is interested in applying for the card and doesn't have a friend or family member to gain a referral bonus, make sure to check out the Referral Offers page and help boost a lucky AFF members point balance :):)

Does anyone know if using the $450 travel credit to book a Qantas flight triggers the two QF lounge passes?

The T&Cs aren't clear at all about this. Spend with Qantas is required, which means "Qantas passenger airfares with a QF flight number purchased directly from Qantas Australia by you (or by a travel agent on your behalf) that appear on your Qantas American Express Ultimate Card statement as a Qantas transaction" - is this how an Amex Travel transaction would appear?

Hi All,

Quick questions. I am about to make a travel booking on Qantas using classic rewards which will include about $2k for taxes (flight costs would be $15k otherwise). I have Amex Ultimate and Qantas Premiere, and I am not sure which I should use to pay. Will the taxes payed online via qantas website count as Qantas spend? I am curious of a few things:
* Do I get the bonus point per $ for qantas spend if spend is on taxes only?
* Will this purchase enable the qantas lounge passes?
* I suspect that this purchase would enable the travel insurance, but if I used the other card instead of this Amex will I still get the travel insurance if the flights are done on frequent flyer points? It seem to indicate that travel insurance is enabled by purchasing flights on points, but I am not sure if you have to pay the taxes on the same card in order to enable it. For the qantas card, I have to pay >$500 of return flight costs to enable it. Not sure if that includes taxes for it.

Cheers,

Adrian

So I spent some time phone tagging between Amex and Chubb insurance and worked out the answers:

* Taxes associated with an award booking payed for on the Qantas site using the Amex card qualify for both the bonus point/$ and triggering the Qantas Lounge passes.
* To trigger the travel insurance when using points to make an award booking, all taxes must be payed using the Amex card. If you use points and pay the taxes with some other method, the insurance is not activated.

The requirement is similar for the Qantas premier card... so basically I activate the insurance with whichever card I use (on investigating this further, I think the Premier Insurance cannot be activated unless all points used for award booking are earned using this card). Using the Amex card will trigger the lounge passes and also earn an extra half point per dollar spent, so I will use the Amex. I was hoping to activate both insurances just to have as much cover as possible, but this is not possible.It should be noted that in IMHO, the Amex insurance is inferior to the Qantas Premier insurance. The covers are lower, and there is no cover for hire car excess, which is the most likely claim I would make.

Last edited:
I've had this for a year now and decided to cancel because of the $450 fee (I know they give you a travel credit but I find it's a little onerous) Has anyone had any luck cancelling it and they offer you no fee (and then I assume you don't get any travel credit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back