Qantas American Express Premium card /82,500 QFF points / $249 / $3k spend 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Member

Established Member
Seems like a decent deal... The only potential catch for many of us is the 12 month hold period (see my bolding below)

• Earn 80,000 Qantas Points[SUP]1[/SUP] when you apply by 29 February 2016, are approved and meet the spend criteria. This introductory offer is available to new American Express Card Members only[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Earn up to 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases[SUP]2[/SUP]. See Reward Yourself section for more details
  • 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months[SUP]3[/SUP] — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies to any balances transferred. Learn more
  • $0 annual Card fee for up to 4 Supplementary Cards[SUP]4[/SUP] so you can earn more Qantas Points
  • Enjoy two complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations each year after your first Card spend on selected Qantas products and services[SUP]5[/SUP]
  • Complimentary domestic and international travel insurance[SUP]6[/SUP]
Qantas American Express Premium Card, you'll enjoy no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, while having them automatically transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month.

• Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on major supermarkets and petrol stations in Australia[SUP]7[/SUP] and selected Qantas products and services in Australia[SUP]8[/SUP]
  • Earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on everything else, except those in the 0.5 points category[SUP]2[/SUP]
  • Earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on utilities, telecommunications companies, non American Express provided insurance and government bodies[SUP]2[/SUP]
Plus earn up to 82,500 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 29 February 2016 as a new Card Member[SUP]1[/SUP], are approved and meet the following spend criteria:

• 80,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $3,000 on eligible purchases on your new Card[SUP]1[/SUP] within your first three months of Card Membership
  • 2,500 bonus Qantas Points after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas products and services[SUP]8[/SUP]
You can also earn points faster by getting a Supplementary Card for family members at no additional cost[SUP]9[/SUP]

1. The 80,000 bonus Qantas Points offer on the Qantas American Express Premium Card is only available to new American Express Card Members who apply online by 29 February 2016, are approved and meet the required spend criteria. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. Eligible purchases do not include cash advances, interest, balance transfers, fees and charges for traveller’s cheques and foreign currencies. Bonus Points are awarded as follows: • 80,000 Qantas Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of becoming a Card Member; • 2,500 Qantas Points will be awarded after your first Card spend on selected Qantas products and services in Australia. The maximum number of points available under this offer is 82,500 Qantas Points. Qantas Points are earned in accordance with and subject to the Qantas American Express Card Points Terms and Conditions. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks after you have met the spend criteria for the points to be credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account. Qantas Frequent Flyer membership and the earning and redemption of points are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program available at
qantas.com/terms.

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/frequent-flyer-cards/qantas-premium-card/?filter=currentoffers

Re: Qantas American Express Premium card /82,500 QFF points / $249 / $3k spend 3 mont

Sounds good but I have that card fee free for life so sadly can't apply.

Re: Qantas American Express Premium card /82,500 QFF points / $249 / $3k spend 3 mont

Seems like a decent deal... The only potential catch for many of us is the 12 month hold period (see my bolding below)

• Earn 80,000 Qantas Points[SUP]1[/SUP] when you apply by 29 February 2016, are approved and meet the spend criteria. This introductory offer is available to new American Express Card Members only[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Earn up to 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases[SUP]2[/SUP]. See Reward Yourself section for more details
  • 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months[SUP]3[/SUP] — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies to any balances transferred. Learn more
  • $0 annual Card fee for up to 4 Supplementary Cards[SUP]4[/SUP] so you can earn more Qantas Points
  • Enjoy two complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations each year after your first Card spend on selected Qantas products and services[SUP]5[/SUP]
  • Complimentary domestic and international travel insurance[SUP]6[/SUP]
Qantas American Express Premium Card, you'll enjoy no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, while having them automatically transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month.

• Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on major supermarkets and petrol stations in Australia[SUP]7[/SUP] and selected Qantas products and services in Australia[SUP]8[/SUP]
  • Earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on everything else, except those in the 0.5 points category[SUP]2[/SUP]
  • Earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on utilities, telecommunications companies, non American Express provided insurance and government bodies[SUP]2[/SUP]
Plus earn up to 82,500 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 29 February 2016 as a new Card Member[SUP]1[/SUP], are approved and meet the following spend criteria:

• 80,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $3,000 on eligible purchases on your new Card[SUP]1[/SUP] within your first three months of Card Membership
  • 2,500 bonus Qantas Points after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas products and services[SUP]8[/SUP]
You can also earn points faster by getting a Supplementary Card for family members at no additional cost[SUP]9[/SUP]

1. The 80,000 bonus Qantas Points offer on the Qantas American Express Premium Card is only available to new American Express Card Members who apply online by 29 February 2016, are approved and meet the required spend criteria. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. Eligible purchases do not include cash advances, interest, balance transfers, fees and charges for traveller’s cheques and foreign currencies. Bonus Points are awarded as follows: • 80,000 Qantas Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of becoming a Card Member; • 2,500 Qantas Points will be awarded after your first Card spend on selected Qantas products and services in Australia. The maximum number of points available under this offer is 82,500 Qantas Points. Qantas Points are earned in accordance with and subject to the Qantas American Express Card Points Terms and Conditions. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks after you have met the spend criteria for the points to be credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account. Qantas Frequent Flyer membership and the earning and redemption of points are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program available at
qantas.com/terms.

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/frequent-flyer-cards/qantas-premium-card/?filter=currentoffers
I am assuming that the bolded bit refers to any AMEX card issued by other banks rather than directly through Amex?

I am assuming that the bolded bit refers to any AMEX card issued by other banks rather than directly through Amex?

I would have thought it was only AMEX cards offered by AMEX directly?

This looks like a good offer. Unfortunately I'm ineligible having only cancelled the AMEX QF Ultimate 6 months ago.

Perhaps Mrs Excel will be applying soon... does anyone know if previous supplementary cardholders are ineligible?

80k for $250 is a huge bonus, beats NAB's 60k, surprised there's no contingencies on the spend (such as 1k on QF). 2PP$ at supermarkets is also appealing. Does anyone know if buying WOW Wish cards via the WOW online portal (such as via rac.com.au) counts as supermarket spend?

This is normally the case. I received the bonus on the aforementioned QF Ultimate Amex while holding a Westpac Altitude Platinum MC/AMEX, CBA Platinum MC/AMEX, and an Amex Corporate Gold Card via my previous employer.

Bonus - a late Xmas present for me.

I like :) I might take up this offer

Seems like a pretty good deal for 80,000+ QF points!

Oh wish we could take up this offer but still have the velocity amex card from that deal a few months ago and hubby has the david jones one too.

Is anyone thinking of applying who already holds an AMEX (not bank), to test it (whether they get the bonus)?

Looks like Mrs H is getting a shiney new card for Valentines Day.

Doesn't seem like a very good deal. Recent Commonwealth Bank, Jetstar and Macquarie Bank offerings were/are much better value:

40,000 points for FREE
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....nwealth-platinum-awards-40k-qantas-67883.html

40,000 points for $69
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....tar-platinum-mastercard-40k-points-70260.html

40,000 points for $99
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/current-credit-card-promotions/macquarie-40k-for-99-a-72465.htm

I've no doubt that there will be better offers than this AMEX deal from the other players very soon. Keep your powder dry.

Last edited:

Doesn't seem like a very good deal. Recent Commonwealth Bank, Jetstar and Macquarie Bank offerings were/are much better value:

40,000 points for FREE
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....nwealth-platinum-awards-40k-qantas-67883.html

40,000 points for $69
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....tar-platinum-mastercard-40k-points-70260.html

40,000 points for $99
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....-promotions/macquarie-40k-for-99-a-72465.html

yes but depends how much you spend per month.

I already got the CBA deal.

this one is not bad, $249 and 80k points with only $3k spend over 3 months.

I am assuming that if I am holding an AMEX card from ANZ, this offer is ok to apply?

I am assuming that if I am holding an AMEX card from ANZ, this offer is ok to apply?

Should be fine.

40,000 points for FREE

40,000 points for $69

40,000 points for $99
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....-promotions/macquarie-40k-for-99-a-72465.html

In addition to already having the cards and not being eligible, it means twice as many credit checks for the same number of points. I know that's not an issue to some people but as always YMMV.

also, the Jestar deal is only till end of Nov 2015 so expired now.

EDIT: btw I just applied for this card, lets see how quickly I can get it. Have electricity bill $1k to pay by end of Jan so would be good to use this card for this ! :)

EDIT: btw I just applied for this card, lets see how quickly I can get it. Have electricity bill $1k to pay by end of Jan so would be good to use this card for this ! :)

Paying your electricity bill may only get you 0.5 points per dollar, if you can pay your electricity with Paypal try linking this card to your paypal account for more points.

Hence why I used past tense in my post.

Is anyone thinking of applying who already holds an AMEX (not bank), to test it (whether they get the bonus)?
Did you just volunteer? ;)

Have a Platinum Rewards card and had a Qantas premium card that I cancelled ~3 years ago. Would love to apply. Perhaps call and ask if eligible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back