Qantas American Express Discovery Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibspmuh

My wife just got a flyer in the mail to apply for the new Qantas American Express Discovery Card - doesn't appear to be on the AMEX website yet, but basically it's got no annual Card fee for the life of the card (the good side) and it earns 0.75 points per dollar spent (the not so good side).

It does get a bonus point per dollar on Qantas spend though, so might be worth picking up for some people to cover their Qantas purchases anyway. Also comes with the offer of 5,000 bonus points for spending $300 in the first three months and 2,500 points for first Qantas spend.

A .75 point per $ card is clearly mentioned in the Qantas Amex T&C's... wonder why it's such a secret??

with so many 'free' amex cards now, I wonder if renewers will be offered to switch to the free card rather than have their fees waived?

still, less places seem to accept amex than before...

with so many 'free' amex cards now, I wonder if renewers will be offered to switch to the free card rather than have their fees waived?

still, less places seem to accept amex than before...

Yes, that's exactly what Amex offered me. I took up the offer as a spare back-up card, but I have never used it because I earn more points on my Earth Platinum, where I was offered a fee reduction in return for opening a Westpac fee-free bank account.

I just recently took up this card... Here's the interesting thing though:

I registered for AMEX online services, and when I logged in, it shows 1 pt per dollar & 55 days interest free (instead of 0.75 pts per dollar & 44 days interest free).

I called AMEX about the discrepancy and they said 'OK No problems - we'll honour 1 pt per dollar & 55 days interest free'... So if you apply for this card, you might end up with (effectively) the Classic card for $0 :)

Did't get that through mail. Anyone else got the offer? And what card do you currently have with amex?

I phoned American Express this morning to enquire about this. After being put on hold four times while the agent tried to find out some information, I was told that it was a targeted offer.

Hi, to anyone who received this offer what was the bonus points offered when you join up? I took this offer a few months ago but I don't remember how many bonus points was offered. I think it was 10,000 points but I'm not sure. I've just got the 5,000 bonus points for the $300 spent but the bonus points from joining up hasn't been credited yet to my account.

Spoke with Amex today about cancelling a Qantas Ultimate Card (as I have a charge card anyway) & switching to a Blue Sky as a backup/spare card with no fee.

They offered the Qantas Discovery card instead - quoted 0.75 points per dollar and $0 fee forever.

They mentioned it is not on the website because it is used for Retention only (ie. when someone wants to cancel an Amex that earns Qantas points) or specific targetted offers. You can't apply for one through the website, but if you call and indicate that you're looking to cancel a card you might be in luck.

The Blue Sky card is probably still a better deal if you want to be able to use points on any airline (the points give you a dollar value towards a flight, and if the flight is more that the allowance, you simply pay the difference - good if you want to fly in a peak time or when there is no availability with Qantas for award seats).

But if most of your points are with Qantas, then I guess this is an ok card to have as a spare or additional card (does anyone know what the points bonus is for booking Qantas with this card? is it 1 extra point like the other Qantas branded cards?)

I rang to cancel my ultimate Amex the other day, indicating the annual fee is just too high, but as I indicated I no longer cared about qantas direct earn, they suggested the platinum edge card, but I said I would apply online because the operator couldn't give me the bonus miles if I did through her. When the edge card arrives I'll officially cancel the ultimate card but I might ask about the discovery fee free card for when I buy qantas flights....

I wonder if it is still targetted. I spotted an ad while surfing around that took me to this page: American Express Qantas

Up to 10000 bonus points
1 point per dollar
up to 44 days interest free.

I wonder if it is still targetted. I spotted an ad while surfing around that took me to this page: American Express Qantas

Up to 10000 bonus points
1 point per dollar
up to 44 days interest free.

Pretty good deal to me. I also see this on this link:

https://www212.americanexpress.com/...toid=435355e937e64110VgnVCM100000cef4ad94RCRD

I have an Ultimate card which I am thinking of switching as their annual fee is way too high. May end up switching to this one in March.

Definitely tempting to pick up for any Qantas spend I might have - no annual fee is a plus and I'm sure I could rack up those 10,000 bonus points pretty easily (could probably hit all three in the one transaction). Would probably be gathering dust the rest of the time apart from Qantas purchases though.

Is this the first publicly available (ie not private deal) QF direct earn card without no annual fee?

I reckon I'll be cancelling my Amex Ultimate when the annual fee is due also for this card (alongside the Citibusiness Visa - AX acceptance is still too low). This will cover the QF purchases nicely.

It'll be interesting to see what the Big 4 do in response to this and the WOW QF card - these make their base QF cards look poor value in comparison.

There’s an ad for this on the Qantas site now, would look quite tempting if I had an income :p but a point per dollar isn’t bad or so I hear :)

There’s an ad for this on the Qantas site now

Now here is the annoying part. I had a read of the fine print on the site American Express Qantas

It says:

The $1 spent = 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point earn rate is only applicable to Qantas American Express Discovery Cardmembers who apply for the Card on or after 25 November 2010 via this online application form only

So my existing Discovery card which is free only gets 0.75 points because it was offered via the retention call centre. But they'll look after new customers by giving them a higher earn rate. Amex need to remember that loyalty isn't cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Currently Active Users

Back