Q: Credit card for a temporary resident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myrna

My sister (Aus & Can passports) lives in Canada but is now in Australia for 6 months. She wants to get an Australian credit card to use while living in Australia (eg internet payments), but finds it difficult to get anything - they want A$ income. Does anyone know if there is any bank / organisation who will issue an Australian credit card without this requirement? Of course, she can use her Canadian credit cards but will suffer the 3% fx fee. I wonder if a close relative living in Australia can add my sister as a supplementary cardholder so she can have a credit card this way? TIA for any suggestion.

I would have thought she could be added as a supplementary card holder to an Australian CC holder, but the bills and liability would come to the Australian card holder and not her.

I would have thought she could be added as a supplementary card holder to an Australian CC holder, but the bills and liability would come to the Australian card holder and not her.

Thanks, kelvedon, for your reply. The supplementary cardholder is the way to go then. My sister will reimburse the costs of anything she charged to the primary cardholder. It is not a problem.

My sister (Aus & Can passports) lives in Canada but is now in Australia for 6 months. She wants to get an Australian credit card to use while living in Australia (eg internet payments), but finds it difficult to get anything - they want A$ income. Does anyone know if there is any bank / organisation who will issue an Australian credit card without this requirement? .

Absolute Zero. No bank will give her any kind of credit.

Your sister can easily get a Debit Visa, or the supplementary card as you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back