Points ripped off by Woolworths! coughs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattyana2003

Points ripped off by Woolworths!

I got the dreaded cancellation letter a month ago after continued ATO abuse. That's ok I don't mind playing the game I got some good points out of WW. So I dutifully stopped using my card and paid the balance in full. Now they are saying that because my card was cancelled I thereby forfeit the points (6000) I made last month because my card was cancelled as per 25.1 in their T & C. There were no ATO in the 6000. I'm trying to fight it out with them but have little push when my card has just been cancelled.
Anybody else had any similar experiences?

Last edited:
Try the Banking Ombudsman or Financial Services Ombudsman service - being underwritten by HSBC it should be covered.

I wish there was another 1 point per dollar card as just travelled overseas with HSBC and they suspended my card 3 times for possible fraud based on overseas transactions even though I told them I was overseas.

Dale.

Had an issue just after I first applied/approved.

I said that I would be using it ocerseas, asking if any costs... He said none...

Lots of charges on the bill though, after the trip.

I complained to the banking ombudsman (might still have the typed letter on laptop! ) saying that's not what was told.

All charged were ditched.

Try the Banking Ombudsman or Financial Services Ombudsman service - being underwritten by HSBC it should be covered.

I wish there was another 1 point per dollar card as just travelled overseas with HSBC and they suspended my card 3 times for possible fraud based on overseas transactions even though I told them I was overseas.

Dale.

I got the dreaded cancellation letter a month ago after continued ATO abuse. That's ok I don't mind playing the game I got some good points out of WW. So I dutifully stopped using my card and paid the balance in full. Now they are saying that because my card was cancelled I thereby forfeit the points (6000) I made last month because my card was cancelled as per 25.1 in their T & C. There were no ATO in the 6000. I'm trying to fight it out with them but have little push when my card has just been cancelled.
Anybody else had any similar experiences?

Lets assume you received more than 6000 points via your ATO abuse. If so , what's your beef?

My beef is that the 6000 points were for genuine purposes under their T and C. Would you let go of 6000 points without a fight? I won't.

Go all the way. Thats what the banking ombudsman is there for - I have used their service several times and it is very good.

They are using the contract to get rid of you so they should have to stick to the contract as well by giving you the points you earnt.

If they are so annoyed over Tax office spending why don't they just rewrite their terms like Amex does and give you fewer points for ATO spend?

Dale.

Had an issue just after I first applied/approved.

I said that I would be using it ocerseas, asking if any costs... He said none...

Lots of charges on the bill though, after the trip.

I complained to the banking ombudsman (might still have the typed letter on laptop! ) saying that's not what was told.

All charged were ditched.

What kind of charges? Forex conversion fees you mean?

Should try the BankWest Qantas Platinum for $1/pt - great card, great service.

100% correct, on the call just before leaving I asked them will I be charged fees for overseas use. Reply was a no.

Friend has a bank west, which we use all the time for travel. Only applied due to me nagging her!

What kind of charges? Forex conversion fees you mean?

Should try the BankWest Qantas Platinum for $1/pt - great card, great service.

I think they may have me by the short and curlies.. I don't think I'll be seeing my 6000 points. I read the WW T and C more closely and found this.

3.12 If we terminate the program, cancel your
membership of the program or your account is closed,
your membership of the program is automatically
cancelled and any points that have not been credited to
your Qantas Frequent Flyer account at that time are
forfeited.

My beef is that the 6000 points were for genuine purposes under their T and C. Would you let go of 6000 points without a fight? I won't.

So did you make more than 6000 points via Your ATO abuse?
If yes my point stands. If no then you have some grounds for a grievance.
So fess up. Which is it?

Sorry, I don't get it, asking me to "fess up", are you a policeman, a priest or secretly working for WW?
You have no point. Regardless of how many points I made from WW ATO transactions in the past which they chose to pay me QFF points on is not the point, that was their choice to pay me on ATO or not. They chose to.
The 6000 points in question did not include ATO.
Do you make points from ATO on your WWEDR? I would guess so since you are even reading this thread, or you work for WW.

Re: Points ripped off by Woolworths!

Just because someone doesn't agree with the OP doesn't mean that they work for WW...
The classic retort isn't it!

Just putting it out there that paying the ATO isn't 'abuse' if it's personal tax.

It is worth going to the ombudsman on this matter even with the terms.

There is still a code of banking practice which overrides the contract and it requires banks to act reasonably - I think it is very reasonable to pay you the points for non ATO spend even after cancellation.

The Trade Practices Act also applies and overrides the contract - they cannot act unconscionably, they must not misrepresent etc.

If they didn't tell you that you would stop earning points immediately in their cancellation letter then I think you have an argument.

I also don't know if it is still the case but it used to be the case that the banks had to help fund the Ombudsman based on how many complaints they received about that bank compared to other banks. Lodging the complaint may well make them settle or negotiate.

Banks are a necessary evil so we must hold them to account - if they don't like ATO spend then they should exclude it.

Dale.

It is worth going to the ombudsman on this matter even with the terms.

Only if the OP lodges a complaint with Woolworths Money and waits 45 days: Our dispute handling process
[h=1]Our dispute handling process[/h]There are five steps involved in handling a dispute. Some disputes take longer to resolve than others.

Step 1: Contact your financial services provider
  • As a first step, you should contact your financial services provider's consumer complaints area to discuss your issue, tell them what your concerns are and how you would like them to be resolved. In our experience, this is often the quickest way to resolve a dispute.

Step 2: Lodge a dispute with us
  • If contacting the financial services provider has not resolved the dispute, you can lodge a dispute with us.
  • If the financial services provider has not yet had an opportunity to resolve the dispute with you through its internal dispute resolution process, we will register the dispute. As part of our registration process, we will contact the financial services provider and ask it to respond to you directly. Generally, a dispute will be registered if:

• it is less than 45 days since you made a complaint to the financial services provider; and
  • you are yet to receive a written response.

• If you receive a written response from the financial services provider that does not resolve the dispute, or if you do not receive a response with 45 days of the date that you first complained to the financial services provider, you can then contact us again to progress the dispute. A different timeframe applies to disputes about difficulties meeting repayments on a credit facility such as a loan or credit card. You will find more information about our approach to such disputes on our consumer information page, in the Financial Difficulty section.

Step 3: Our review of the dispute begins

Thanks Dale
The points in question were earned at the beginning of the cycle before I got the cancellation letter. So I followed their instructions and stopped using the card once I got the letter. I would understand if the points in question were earned after the cancellation letter arrived but they were genuinely earned within their T and C.
Their clause in their Tand C is unfair.
3.12 If we terminate the program, cancel your
membership of the program or your account is closed,
your membership of the program is automatically
cancelled and any points that have not been credited to
your Qantas Frequent Flyer account at that time are
forfeited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Currently Active Users

Back