Platinum Edge newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamsal

Virgin
Platinum
So I finally signed up for the Platinum Edge (special thanks to prozac) and I want to try and make the most from the card. I've been closely following the credit card at supermarkets thread but am getting swamped with all the info in there, so just wondering what everyone's recommendations are to make the most from the card.

For what its worth, I'll be shopping at coles and using flybuys to eventually convert to velocity points. So any coles-specific tips would be much appreciated :)

So I finally signed up for the Platinum Edge (special thanks to prozac) and I want to try and make the most from the card. I've been closely following the credit card at supermarkets thread but am getting swamped with all the info in there, so just wondering what everyone's recommendations are to make the most from the card.

For what its worth, I'll be shopping at coles and using flybuys to eventually convert to velocity points. So any coles-specific tips would be much appreciated :)

My tip is to diarise using the free flight - I've almost forgotten a couple of times! It was better before they downgraded to Virgin, but still the most valuable component of this card.

A few easy and a bit more advanced tips:

Buy eWISH (5% off at least via Cashrewards/Entertainment book etc) and use at WW Big W Caltex. Buy giftcards (DJs Rebel Myer etc) with the Wish card when you can (unless you can find bigger discount elsewhere)

Keep track of WW GCs with Woolworths money app

Buy giftcards at Coles for spend elsewhere (eg Bunnings Target Shell Kmart)

Buy Coles Mastercard Giftcards when there is enough of an offer on to offset the activation fee

(Good on you for choosing prozac)

And consider supplementary cards to take even more advantage of statement credits

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! Definitely some useful information - and great news about shop small in November! :)

A quick question: do you earn flybuys points when you purchase giftcards?

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! Definitely some useful information - and great news about shop small in November! :)

A quick question: do you earn flybuys points when you purchase giftcards?

Yes but apparently wont earn status credits or activate any docket deals

For alcohol, I only ever get one point a dollar shopping at Liquorland next to a Coles, but always get three points a dollar shopping at BWS next to a Woolworths.
Regards,
Renato

For alcohol, I only ever get one point a dollar shopping at Liquorland next to a Coles, but always get three points a dollar shopping at BWS next to a Woolworths.
Regards,
Renato

Interesting.
I'd use an eWISH card at BWS and a Coles Group Giftcard at Liquorland to maximise returns (though have found Dan's cheaper especially with Cashrewards and an eWISH on Click&Collect)

Interesting.
I'd use an eWISH card at BWS and a Coles Group Giftcard at Liquorland to maximise returns (though have found Dan's cheaper especially with Cashrewards and an eWISH on Click&Collect)

Exactly my thinking when I read this. Dans almost always cheaper than BWS or Liquorland and like you would use CR and eWish to get 5% off AND 3ppd.

Interesting.
I often stop at Dan Murphy's to check out their deals, but rarely buy anything. Instead I have a whole lot more luck at First Choice - e.g. the other day the had reduced a slab of Carlton Mid beer from $44 to $25 because it was missing one can, and I've bought several slabs of ciders reduced to $25, which are still being sold for $16 or $17 per six pack or four pack each in most liquor stores.

But this week I wandered into BWS Mornington Vic, where they were selling five bottles of Glengoyne 12yo Single malt, three bottles of Glen Moray 16 yo Single malt, three bottles of Suntory Mohala and four bottles of Feeny's Irish Cream - all at half price. I bought them all. And earned three points a dollar on my Edge card.
Regards,
Renato

I often stop at Dan Murphy's to check out their deals, but rarely buy anything. Instead I have a whole lot more luck at First Choice - e.g. the other day the had reduced a slab of Carlton Mid beer from $44 to $25 because it was missing one can, and I've bought several slabs of ciders reduced to $25, which are still being sold for $16 or $17 per six pack or four pack each in most liquor stores.

But this week I wandered into BWS Mornington Vic, where they were selling five bottles of Glengoyne 12yo Single malt, three bottles of Glen Moray 16 yo Single malt, three bottles of Suntory Mohala and four bottles of Feeny's Irish Cream - all at half price. I bought them all. And earned three points a dollar on my Edge card.
Regards,
Renato

Sounds good. Sounds like it might be worth you keeping some giftcards available for those deals

Yeah, it's funny as I think your experience probably differs at different outlets. First Choice is by far the most convenient liquor shop for me (about 3 minutes walk) but I hardly ever shop there. But you are right, from time to time they have very good deals. Trouble is, you cant rely on them doing so. Personally have found the RedBigot site good for locating deals, (there are other similar site) where essentially you are paying a small fee for the benefit of someone else spending the time to sniff out the best deals, my time is to valuable to me to spend it going to every wine outlet in my area on the off chance they will have some good deals going.

Yeah, it's funny as I think your experience probably differs at different outlets. First Choice is by far the most convenient liquor shop for me (about 3 minutes walk) but I hardly ever shop there. But you are right, from time to time they have very good deals. Trouble is, you cant rely on them doing so. Personally have found the RedBigot site good for locating deals, (there are other similar site) where essentially you are paying a small fee for the benefit of someone else spending the time to sniff out the best deals, my time is to valuable to me to spend it going to every wine outlet in my area on the off chance they will have some good deals going.

I guess a lot has to do with the management of the particular store on whether they stock bargains or on how they stock bargains. For example, most BWS stores kept their clearance specials on the shelves - with 30% off. But at the store I went to, they put the bottles in with the wine specials - where they weren't as visible - and eventually they cut the prices to 50% off. I suspect the management of your First Choice store may be a bit stingier than at mine.
Regards,
Renato

I was hoping to buy either first choice or liquorland GC's at my local coles to score 3 pts per $1 on booze - bottle shops here in QLD are all seperate from the supermarkets so I doubt I would get the 3 pts purchasing directly through them (though happy to be proven wrong)

I was hoping to buy either first choice or liquorland GC's at my local coles to score 3 pts per $1 on booze - bottle shops here in QLD are all seperate from the supermarkets so I doubt I would get the 3 pts purchasing directly through them (though happy to be proven wrong)
I've only ever gotten one point a dollar at First Choice with the Edge card.
Regards,
Renato

I've only ever gotten one point a dollar at First Choice with the Edge card.
Regards,
Renato
Was shopping in Coles yesterday and saw Coles Myer giftcards which can be used at liquorland, first choice, officeworks etc and couldn't see any mention of a $6 activation fee - winning!

Oh - I forgot to mention that I get 3 points a dollar at Ritchies IGA liquor too.
Reagrds,
Renato

don't get too caught up with FB. I used to be but now I take advantage of

* aldi
* buying woolworths egift cards via cashrewards for 5% discount
* coles

I also find that by reducing my spending at both coles and woolwroths they offer me much more gnerous bonus point offers, so i prob earn as many points shopping at just one of them predominantly, but I'm saving a lot of money from buying what's on sale pretty much all the time.

I know it takes more time to do, but am lucky i have a coles and aldi near my office, and it's just a stop off on the way home to do a quick shop at woolworths. the savings are worth the time for me, and i like give them 3 super markets a bit of a middle finger by forcing them to earn my loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back