Platinum Charge Loss Damage Waiver cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
We will be hiring a car from Thrifty in New Zealand for 16 days and there is a $NZ3,500 Damage Liability. We can pay to reduce the excess to 0 for $NZ582.36 ($36.40 per day).

I will be paying the total cost of the car rental on my Amex Charge card and the Loss Damage Waiver cover seems to look as it would fully cover any excess and when I phoned Chubb they said that so long as I do charge the whole cost of the car rental to the Platinum card and have the rental contract that shows the total amount I would be covered.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had to claim using the Platinum Charge LDW cover from Chubb and if you had any problems. We're trying to decide whether to pay the $582 to Thrifty or just rely on the Charge card cover.

We are flying with redemption tickets from the Platinum Reserve card but I don't plan to rely on that insurance since they do not cover my Type 2 Diabetes so we are looking at buying separate travel insurance that does automatically cover my diabetes, not that I have ever had any issues with it.

We also have insurance through my ANZ Black card with QBE, and have activated that by spending the required $250 for a hotel booking, and we have relied on that in past trips along with the Platinum Charge insurance but have thankfully never had to submit a claim. I've recently been reading travel insurance reviews on productreview.com.au and QBE have a lot of bad reviews in relation to claims, as do Chubb, so I'm thinking we should buy separate insurance for future trips to try to avoid any problems rather than relying on the card insurances. After the NZ trip in September we're heading to Europe in late November so I'm trying to find a good annual policy to start with that trip and so far Fastcover seems to look good, with a lot of good claims related reviews on Product Review. If I add reduced car rental excess cover to the Fastcover quote for the NZ trip I would pay $39.90 extra for $5,000 cover so maybe it's worth doing that to have both that and the Charge card cover so if one company rejected the claim we could try the other one.

Your ANZ Black card also provides car rental excess cover, for AU $5,000 if I remember correctly.

I'm about to make a claim for car rental excess cover to QBE.

Your ANZ Black card also provides car rental excess cover, for AU $5,000 if I remember correctly.

I'm about to make a claim for car rental excess cover to QBE.

Thanks AdMEL. I had assumed that, like with some CC insurances, with the ANZ QBE insurance I would have had to pay for the rental on that card but I don't see anything to that effect in the PDS so it appears I would be covered, so long as I have prepaid at least $250 of costs of the trip to activate the travel insurance. I see that there is a $350 excess if I were to claim.

I'll be interested in hearing how your claim process with QBE goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back