PER-SYD no longer available on [Velocity] Amex free flight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many people booking and cancelling to use the credit

I actually wanted to look into this for my AMEX Reserve free flight... I was under the impression there was a thread on AFF discussing this topic but I cannot find it anymore, I'd appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction :)

I have a Platinum Reserve and I have a vague recollection that the Edge had always been limited when compared to the Reserve, and the Reserve is no longer available to new applicants. I have had the card since early days - even have Foundation Member imprinted on it though it means diddly squat - and the card initially only offered limited destinations when the flights were on QF - could not even get a flight down to HBA as it had to connect via MEL. Then the change to VF opened up to PER and NZ for me in SYD.

Having said that I had to make a few calls over 30 minutes in duration last week just to book a SYD-BNE return - a case of using it before losing it. I was told that they - Amex - had been slammed all last week with flight bookings and it was unusually busy. Maybe everyone booking their flights before cancelling their Velocity Amex's now that most have achieved their minimum spend for bonus signup? Have never ever waited more than 5 minutes to get a flight or a room previously.

Last edited:
Does not want to make anyone jealous, but I just found this email in my junk mail:p, I'm not a fan of any AMEX cards, as I have not been using my gold card for about 3 years.

Dear wxxnxs,

Step up to the CPA Platinum Reserve Credit Card from American Express and you'll enjoy unrivalled travel, shopping and dining privileges plus much more. Isn't it time to experience the true benefits of being a hard-working CPA member?

Card Members upgrading to the Platinum Reserve Credit Card who apply by 30 September 2015, are approved and make a purchase within the first two months will receive a $295 Statement Credit – that's enough to cover your first year's annual Card fee (which is $295).

QQ??20150817210853.jpg

The Reserve is still available to new applicants, but only as a companion card to the Platinum Charge card.

Point of note; used VA Amex Plat to book PER-SYD flight today, even though it's not on the map any more. No questions asked! Saved me $600!!

If only they let us book MEL-PER...
Always found it strange that the plat edge and velocity cards allowed PER-East but not the other way around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back