Passport to USA

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ike, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ike

ike Intern

Feb 23, 2008
    Gold Coast
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hello there,
    Just a question about Australian passport to USA, Mine will expire July 2011. Do I need 6 mths on it to travel to USA for 4 weeks in March?
    Also I have booked a reward flight on AA domestic, what are the baggage rules, for Gold Member’s? I have the international flight on a different ref number.
    Thanks for your help

Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisementsMore…

2. odysseus

odysseus Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Yes, they're becoming more strict so you need that. You also need to give the passport details when you book the tickets now.

3. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Actually, for an Australian resident to enter the USA, one simply needs a passport valid for the "period of intended stay".

See here:

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&HEALTH=VISA=&page=both&NA=AU&AR=00&EM=AU&DE=US&TR=00&VT=00&user=AMADEB2C&subuser=QANTAS

As a Qantas FF Gold member (SG) travelling on AA you are a oneworld Sapphire and exempt from baggage fees for your first checked item. (American Airlines Checked Baggage Charge Exceptions | AA.com)

4. acoolbreeze

acoolbreeze Intern

Oct 30, 2009
    Yes, and if travelling under the visa waiver you need to pre register your arrival (Google 'ESTA') with your passport details.

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    More on this.

If entering the USA under the VWP, that has a 90 day validity. So it is conceivable your passport needs 90 Days validity, regardless of the length of your actual stay.

So depending upon your arrival date in March and your expiry date in July you may require a new Passport.

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    From Australian Government web site:

From the USA Government web site:
    I cannot find any information as to whether Australia has a country-specific agreement that provides exemption.

7. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Australian passport holders are exempt from the rule

Embassy of the United States Canberra, Australia - Visa Waiver Program

Following the links is an exercise left for the reader.

8. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The "Country Specific Agreement" link goes to the following page:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf

Phew , it would be very unlikely that Timaticweb returns inaccurate information.