Option coming to Buy AMEX MR points

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmetz

Just receive letter saying on the Blue Card , you only get 0.5 points now for utilities and phone purchases, but you can now buy 1000MR points for 25$aus.

Re: Centurion Customer Service frustration......

Just receive letter saying on the Blue Card , you only get 0.5 points now for utilities and phone purchases, but you can now buy 1000MR points for 25$aus.
You can buy points from Amex?

Yep, said they added the "facility to purchase extra points". Not sure for every different card .

And at $25 that cheaper then buying airline points.

Received a similar letter:

1. More ways to ues your points

blah blah blah ...

• Added the facility for you to purchase extra points for $25 per 1,000 points which can be used when you redeem on merchandise and gift cards as well as our eight airline partners and three frequent guest partners.¹
¹ Subject to the terms and conditions of the Membership Rewards program of which you are actively enrolled in. ...

Did you also see about the drop in points for payments to power, telephone and insurance! That's a few thousand less points a year.

....you can now buy 1000MR points for 25$aus.
2.5c per point is really not good value. I will (almost) be happy to sell my MR points back to AMEX for 2.5c per point!!!

Well to buy say 1000 KF points that about 45US. So $25 is lot cheaper. Again buying points is always to expensive unless you just need a few thousand points to purchase a ticket or upgrade, or get that new tablet.

2.5c per point is really not good value. I will (almost) be happy to sell my MR points back to AMEX for 2.5c per point!!!
Disagree if you are short of a couple of thousand points for an upgrade

Did they have a cap on the number of points you can purchase ?

I have not been able to find any T&C's online - the reduced earn rates starts from July 1st - maybe that's when the buy option commences.

FWIW, I generally only use the relevant Amex for balance transfers - it has one MR point in it dur to an unexpected round up, rather than truncation.

Last edited:
The Ascent T&C's have this:
11.2 You can purchase points for the redemption of any reward but any points purchased
must be redeemed for rewards at the time of purchase. Points can only be purchased
in multiples of 1,000 for the relevant fee set out in the schedule of fees and the cost
will be billed to your primary account.
https://catalogue.membershiprewards...t_Choices_Spirit_Feb2012.pdf&languageId=en_au

Ascent Premium has

8.3 You can purchase points for the redemption of any reward but any points
purchased must be redeemed for rewards at the time of purchase. Points can only
be purchased in multiples of 1,000 for the relevant fee set out in the schedule of
fees and the cost will be billed to your primary account.

https://catalogue.membershiprewards...=Ascent Premium_July2011.pdf&languageId=en_au

Ascent Premium seems to get a discounted rate. Just $22 per 1000 points :rolleyes:

Thanks Oz_mark - I did not think to look at the redemptions.

Can't see how to it yet, but If I suggest that I redeem more points than I have, I get this:
We regret that you have insufficient points for the reward(s) specified. Alternatively, review previous results to see if the reward is available to redeem with Points plus Pay.

Last edited:
Great post oz_mark!
Yes there it is on page 8.
2.5 cents a point is not particularly a low cost but if you are 5,000 points short for a big trip I can see that would work nicely.

not bad coz if you use that for enrich and assume its still 1:1 then thats about 2k for a J to KUL and back. So beats buying the ticket. But of course, "free" points would be better :)

A chunk of points would translate into that number that is just enough to allow you to do Your Thing.
Dr Evil could never be satisfied as far as I recall.

If I was a couple of thousand points short of an upgrade what's wrong with pre-paying or purchasing something you are going to need anyway, e.g. at the moment you can still buy $300 worth of BP fuel cards and get 2100 points. Having said that I have bought a few thousand SQ miles in the past but aside from US airways 100% promos (and even then only to top up to a specific award) I agree purchasing miles is something best avoided.

If I was a couple of thousand points short of an upgrade what's wrong with pre-paying or purchasing something you are going to need anyway, e.g. at the moment you can still buy $300 worth of BP fuel cards and get 2100 points.
Thanks burmans...that's exacty what I would do:idea:

Buying 1000 MR points for $25 is nothing special but some people will always see some value in anything.

At least I can now use a point of reference to value my MR points. Personally I would value 1000 MR points at ~$10-$15 so to buy MR points I would really be in need of MR points that I want to transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back