online boarding pass / online check in (qantas domestic flight)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macgret

Hi again i have 2 questions so ill include both of them in here rather then making separate new threats.

Firs question is as follow: It is my very first time i will be aventualy printing out from home my airline boarding pass ticket from qantas (domestic flight)

I have a printer. I would be printing it out on a normal A4 paper.. But i still don't no either doing this is going to make it look like a real boarding pass ticket.. As you would normaly get these thcker smaller sqaure shape tickets that contains this black long bar code on the back of the boarding pass so that it slides thru this machine before u enter that gate by a qantas staff... I wouldnt no how they going to dare slide a normal thin A4 paper sizes thru that small machine ? Is it safe? What if it ends up cant barcode the paper correctly because the printer didnt print it out correctly? I need ink for my printer quite expensive.. and only got a new black ink but not enough in colour. So dont no either its going to print in black or in colour. either print it in high wuality or standard quality. Just because incase they need to barcode the paper.. if that ever works from a A4 paper print out page. Ive jsut never done this and so i dont want to end up been stuck out there with a boarding pass that looks fake and end up errors cant scan or such. :) sorry just been quite sure about this. Im not familia with all this as ive never done this online before. Its new experience for me.

-------------

My second question.

When doing it from home choose the seat you want to seat down on the plane 24hour before departer.. Simple just lock onto qantas website with your flight number stuff and you go thru directions and so on.. check in. I then would choose where i want to be seated... Lets say on the left side of the window view.

Know when doing this showing a map online or a virtual map of the seats... If i was to choose a window seat well ebfore hand lets say 24hours before departer... can i choose where i want to be seated? im going to start very quickly in advance just so that no one is doing the same as me unless the page would be very slow making errors and such.

If i was to be seated on a located area lets say the window view. And then i end up at the plane with that choosen seat... and someone comes along and say excuse me thats my seat. then what happens there? Computer mixups and seat mixups failor?

Its just that when i oneday did this i just went to the airport 1 hour before departer and i told the staff counter i wanted a window view right at the back of the plane.. she then look and choose one. but when i got there on the plane this tourist person came and told me sorry love thats my seat. Showing on my ticket number window view.... Now what happen there? I thought qantas stuff has shown me the ticket with window view.. So confusing there with argueing thats my seat while someone comes alog and said thats my seat too shown on the ticket.

Aniways someone would aventualy exlain all that both questions.
Thanks just that im quite nervours and i always try make the best out of my trip flight. And to do so im going to check in 22hours or 20hours before departure just so i can be the first one to check in and have a full view of free seats to choose from. rather then do it on the last fiew hours where most likely it ends up been half seats taken. If you know what i mean.

take care people. Im just making sure everything as im a self traveler and i do get quite nervours if things dont turn out to be correctly done.

regards
macgret.

The boarding pass you print does not pass through the old style reader. It has a special bar code area printed and that is scanned like in a super market checkout with a bar code scanner.

You get to choose a seat from those that have not already been pre-allocated by the QF computer prior to on-line check-in opening. So FF members with high status will already have been allocated their seats before you get a chance to do on-line check-in. So don't assume you have the pick of all the seats just because you are the first to check in.

NM said:
The boarding pass you print does not pass through the old style reader. It has a special bar code area printed and that is scanned like in a super market checkout with a bar code scanner.

You get to choose a seat from those that have not already been pre-allocated by the QF computer prior to on-line check-in opening. So FF members with high status will already have been allocated their seats before you get a chance to do on-line check-in. So don't assume you have the pick of all the seats just because you are the first to check in.

Ah yes you are upsolutely right, I didnt thought about that. FF as in frequent flyer members? Well i have a frequent flyer card but with nill points... And even tho i buy it all online the check in is not available until 24hours before departer.. So even if i try to log in now to qantas website the active button to check in in advance will not work until 24hours before departer which wont be until the 2nd of may.

I just had the feeling that i would somehow tempt to sign back in to qantas site very well in advance just to be the very first person (i hope) to choose freely any seat i wish to be seated... with more seats available.

I dont quite understand how a FF would simply allready choosen a seat even though the whole thing cant be available until 24hour departer surely ?

aniways thank you.

AAnd thanks for the ideal information for the boarding pass.. I understand now that they do have these barcode scan machines just like coles would have. I just never thought about it thats all.. I best to print it in high quality print out just incase errors do tempt on these barcode.. Ive jsut check out a demo at qantas site how a print out ticket on A4 would look like.

Not sure why there is more then 3 barcode all over the ticket.

have a plesant day people.
macgret

macgret said:
I dont quite understand how a FF would simply allready choosen a seat even though the whole thing cant be available until 24hour departer surely ?
Qantas Frequent Flyer members with Silver or higher status, and Qanats Club members, can register their seating preference in their Frequent Flyer profile, such as forward or back, aisle or window. the Qantas computer system then allocates those FF members seats according to their registered preference before the flight is opened for on-line check-in. That way those high status Ff members will get their seating preference no matter if they check-in 24 hours or 30 mins before the flight departs.

NM said:
Qantas Frequent Flyer members with Silver or higher status, and Qanats Club members, can register their seating preference in their Frequent Flyer profile, such as forward or back, aisle or window. the Qantas computer system then allocates those FF members seats according to their registered preference before the flight is opened for on-line check-in. That way those high status Ff members will get their seating preference no matter if they check-in 24 hours or 30 mins before the flight departs.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for that.
Well with i able to do it 24hours before departer am i able to fine a spot back and forward freely with that option? Or is the restrictions on where you can choose and cant choose.. oh tho lets say there are some available free seats right at the back but also at the front rows.. Is this freely available to scroll even tho i just aid my online ticket cheap online and i have a qantas bronze card now it has nill points. so?

Dam it would of been great if i could of had freely choosent where i wanted to be seated way before 24hours... I wouldnt no what to do to do all that.

I dont end up wanting a credit card qantas card.. Just have a bronze card its not a credit card nor visa card.
I gues to do all this well before adcance even weeks or months you can choose located seat if i where to have a credit card with qantas which unfortunaly its not for me. I dont deal credit cards.. Just visa debit cards from st george :)

macgret said:
Hmm interesting. Thanks for that.
Well with i able to do it 24hours before departer am i able to fine a spot back and forward freely with that option? Or is the restrictions on where you can choose and cant choose.. oh tho lets say there are some available free seats right at the back but also at the front rows.. Is this freely available to scroll even tho i just aid my online ticket cheap online and i have a qantas bronze card now it has nill points. so?

Dam it would of been great if i could of had freely choosent where i wanted to be seated way before 24hours... I wouldnt no what to do to do all that.

I dont end up wanting a credit card qantas card.. Just have a bronze card its not a credit card nor visa card.
I gues to do all this well before adcance even weeks or months you can choose located seat if i where to have a credit card with qantas which unfortunaly its not for me. I dont deal credit cards.. Just visa debit cards from st george :)

When you do an OLCI you will be given an image of the plane and the seats will be shown as allocated or free. You can choose from any of the seats that are displayed as being free.

There is no option for anyone to allocate domestic seats prior to 24 hours before the flight (with the exception of a domestic leg of an international flight). Having any form of credit card does not change this.

Anyone can request an "Aisle" or "Window" seat in their booking. Certain Frequent Flyers are allowed a better granularity when selecting seats such as "Forward Aisle", but as indicated, you can't select a particular seat on domestic flights - only a seating preference.

To specify the Window or Aisle, you need to either chat to your travel agent who booked your ticket, or visit the Qantas website here: Bookings - Manage Your Booking - Flight Booking and enter in your surname and the booking reference (will be a set of letters/numbers looking something like 2XYGDH). Otherwise Qantas Reservations on 13 13 13 should be able to assist with working out the booking reference from your name and flight information.

So.. let me get this right. So it is now the start of the 24hour time before departure... i can now log into qantas website to check in from home.. (quicker and convinient that way) Aniways it will give me an option either i would want to choose a located seat or just go random allready choosen which will be display as you press next and so on.

I am very curious to wonder and seat right at the back at a particular seat next to the window. Can this be posible? If there is free seats not taken well why not choose lets say the 4throw at the back plane next to the window. If its free well ill choose it.

But your telling me i cant do that?

Can anyone steal or change my seat when i get to the gates and into the plane? if thats the case then i wouldnt no where els to be seated if someone with the (FREQUENT FLYER POINT MEMBER) has random choosem to to get off that seat just because that member wants my seat. Then if that does happen how would i know where should i be seating without even knowing anything or updates change? Even tho if i choose the 4th row right at the back with window and if its free i would have choosen it online and then press accept and print out the boarding pass and on that boarding pass would clearly show the selected area and seat preffered. Unless not. I do go for window view.

Someone would please explain to me for that part. I could be totaly wrong about a FF member could random choose me to get off that seat just because a jelours member with FF (frequent flyer point) has the power to jump right in and move the allready choosen seat allready been display. Lets say i did this first and then someone 8 hours later a FF member randomly choosen me to go change another seat available.

Okies i think i could be wrong to all this.
I just thought that ones you choose the row you wish and the seat area you wish either its the middle or the window or the 6th row right at the back or left or right and allready choose it if its free im sure no one els can and will chnage your seat right when you get to the airport just because a random FF member wanted to window and has bush me off it all. Is that how the system works?

I simply just went to qantas website. choose the dates... there is red deal and yellow deal and the very expensive deal.. Well to be smart enough ive shoosen the cheaper deal which was 180one way. Used with a debit visa card from st george bank. And that was quite easy enough to print it all up. And the final stage i would need to check in very quickly. Just dont like to be left in the middle seat without the window views.

Because i quite enjoy the window and im very picky where i want to be seated on the plane. Im sure there is no harm to choose the row and seat unless that dosnt work like that ? I was watching the demo of the how to choose seat online and it looks like all you do is point your mouse on the any of the free orange seats either its the window or middle or the aile area seat.

Take care people
macgret.

Gues i just need to clarified this as im not a very technical person specialy when it comes to my mid 30's :)

macgret said:
So.. let me get this right. So it is now the start of the 24hour time before departure... i can now log into qantas website to check in from home.. (quicker and convinient that way) Aniways it will give me an option either i would want to choose a located seat or just go random allready choosen which will be display as you press next and so on.

At flight time-24 hours (for domestic flights) Online Check-in opens. Most/all flyers are pre-allocated seats according to their preference by this time (if they are a Frequent Flyer as above, or if they have pre-selected a preference (eg Aisle or Window). If there are no preferences, then the computer automatically chooses a seat.

When you check in online, you are able to move around the cabin from your pre-allocated seat - assuming there are free seats to move into.

yep thats about right :)

let get this straight forward... is 24hours before departer ill go online from home and ill look for the far back rows of the plane right at the far back. look there is a few free seats indicating and some isnt. Lets say ill choose the row 28 on the left side as it is indicating on the map and choose window since it is a free seat showing on screen. Ok i over click that with my mouse and ones i click it i go next page. and it will clearly show the seat number for example row 28 left side window seat. or something like that 28f

Ones you have choosen that your pretty much done to print out your boarding pass. Ones you have done this.

No one can never change or move you someone els.. Unless what i have done so as a demonstration talk here is a only (pre-located seat) and dosnt mean that just because u want that particular free seat dosnt mean its going to exactly be that particular seat when you get on the plane because like you said the (pre-location) unless it will be taken for real by me when i allready choosen it.

Corrct me if im wrong.
Is this correct?

ones you choose the seat its nothing like pre-located or maybe your seat or such. because anyoen els boaridng online would see that seat 28 at the back seat is allready taken and that would be me of course so i dought anyone els can steal it 8 hours or 5 hours later.;)

Mal said:
Certain Frequent Flyers are allowed a better granularity when selecting seats such as "Forward Aisle",

What do you mean, granularity? I'm only a NB but have rear aisle in my profile (not 'rear' but 'rear aisle') and seem to get it every time..

bambbbam2 said:
What do you mean, granularity? I'm only a NB but have rear aisle in my profile (not 'rear' but 'rear aisle') and seem to get it every time..

NB? Or Qantas Club NB?

My understanding of how it works for Domestic flights:
General passengers, and NB's can go into their booking and select "Aisle" or "Window".
QC, PS, SG, WP can set their Qantas profile to assign a seat from "Window", "Aisle", "Forward Aisle", "Rear Aisle", "Forward Window", "Rear Window", "Forward", "Rear"
which is what I mean about the granularity of getting your preference.

macgret said:
Ones you have choosen that your pretty much done to print out your boarding pass. Ones you have done this.

No one can never change or move you someone els..

Once you are given or select a seat through Online Check-in, or at the airport (either via the QuickCheck kiosks or by seeing the Check-in Staff) that seat cannot be easily overtaken by someone else. It's yours for all intents and purposes, but you have to keep in mind that no seat choice is guaranteed.

Qantas can change your seat for many reasons, including if the plane is changed (ie your seat no longer exists on the new plane, you'll be re-assigned to a different seat), to assist with trim (ie ensuring that passengers are evenly spread out over the cabin for take-off reasons), or to accommodate other passengers with special needs.

Mal said:
NB? Or Qantas Club NB?

My understanding of how it works for Domestic flights:.

No, just plain NB (No QC). I hve just checked again and def have 'rear aisle' there.

thanks for the help folks

Just a quick one

Whats the chances of seen free seats to choose from while check in from home online within lets say 24hours starting now or 22 hours starting now ?

I would rather seat right at the back but not sure either this option would aloud to to scroll up and down the plane seats online to choose a seat window, specialy when i have nill points on FF membership.

Aniways just curious to wonder if the plane might be very full or half empty

Flying on the 2nd of may at a early morning flight which is around 715am brisbane to melb.

Unless this is the time where alot of passangers travel just like having heavy pick traffic out there when driveing. Specialy late afternoon when everyone wants to go home.

Most FF tend to prefer sitting toward the front of the aircarft, so there may be a few seats free toward the rear of the aircraft. It will all come down to loads on the flight

Early morning flights tend to be pretty busy as normally people are flying down to Melbourne for meetings etc.

Online check-in for Qantas allows you to scroll up and down the plane to choose the seat you want from available seats. If you look at the Online Check-in demonstration on the Qantas website: Bookings - Online Check-in it shows you how Online Check-in works and how you can change seats etc.

With Online check-in, you can also go back later and change your seat or reprint your boarding pass etc.

If you are after a window seat, set your seat preference in your booking as per what is written earlier in this thread. Then you have a very high probability of being assigned a window seat automatically and you can then change seats via the online check-in if you prefer a different seat.

"To specify the Window or Aisle, you need to either chat to your travel agent who booked your ticket, or visit the Qantas website here: Bookings - Manage Your Booking - Flight Booking and enter in your surname and the booking reference (will be a set of letters/numbers looking something like 2XYGDH). Otherwise Qantas Reservations on 13 13 13 should be able to assist with working out the booking reference from your name and flight information."

bambbbam2 said:
No, just plain NB (No QC). I hve just checked again and def have 'rear aisle' there.

Hmmm. Ok, don't know. Perhaps things have changed :)

Hello Mal great job thanks for the demo i have been relaying it 10 times allready :) cant get any better then that.

Oh good i didnt new i could later within the 24hour re-change the seat and re-print the boarding pass on printer. Just get the pression that if i do it oens it can not be change otherwise system would corrupt at qantas end from my paper boarding pass.

Well i dont think i would re-change things. But i might make 2 copies of my boarding pass one to keep as a momento collectable and one to use on board of course..

Do i have to actually cut the paper to make it look like a small sqaure boarding pass or just dont cut anything ?

And also would i need colour on my printer? my colour is empty and only have 1 new black ink cardrge only but maybe i need colour ortherwise qantas can not scan the paper correctly. Not sure there.

One other important thing i should make here' Im taking a laptop carrying on bag style with a luggage suitcase that has 2 wheels on it. The luggage is about half way to my mid leg since im 176cmtall. That luggage wont be next to me on flight because it might be too big or alittle too heavy or too much to carry on plus the laptop carrying on bag style. Who knows.. To be quite sure without breaking the rules ones i head to the airport i would defently go to the check out counter qantas staff... Because they have to know how many bags and such im carring and you just cant go straight to the gate without qantas knowing what your brining.

Aniways as i do this which i dont no how heavy and huge line would be there at the counter, But i will show my boarding pass that i print out from home. I think thats how the system works because they might want that luggage suit to handle it by the carrier and not i to bring it on board as it might be heavy or too big. I dont no really.. I lost the information type of luggage i brought..

Here is a link image what it looks like but it is not the same or actual brand. The one i brought is qantas brand bags and so on types..

Here its one as a demonstraction
Victorinox 20" Mobilizer NXT 3.0 | Clearance Sale | Luggage Store

So more or less pretty much the same hight. So dunno either its acceptable with me i can just put this under the seat or somewhere posible and my laptop bag on my lap just incase i would want to take lots of digital

EDIT: PS. im sorry ive just found a measuring work tape. the luggage as you can see as a demo on that link the hights is 52M and the cross is 37M and the top part from back and forward is 29M now who knows if this luggage would be suitable to carry on or the carrier does this for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Boarding Pass from OLCI is designed to be used with A4 paper. It will pretty much take up the whole page and there is no need to cut anything.

Aside from some bits of Qantas red (the logo, table borders), it is pretty much just black. I have often printed them on a printer that only has black and it is not a problem.The importnat bit is the bar code (there are four, one in each corner, but they are the same as each other), and that is just a black and white image.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back