"oneworld" award (132.4K/249.6K/318K/455K) Planning - The Definitive Thread

Your itinerary is more than 35,000 miles so you will need to fix that as well as remove a stopover.

Thanks jetpack I didn't catch those extra few miles. I've crunched it down to 34,878. Now I've got the following:

DBO xSYD xHKG DEL
DEL xDOH WAW ($$ Purchase WAW-KRA-FCO)
FCO - AMM ($$ Purchase rtn CAI)
AMM xDOH xJFK CUN ($$ Purchase CUN-LIM)
LIM - GIG
GIG xSCL xSYD DBO

What do you think?

Hi RTW family,
You don't have to go RTW, the OneWorld Award is not a RTW fare though it can be used that way. Accordingly, the OneWorld Explorer tool will show you valid flights for purchase (not available award seats) and can kinda be used as a planning tool but only works for RTW fares. Not sure if the available airlines for a paid RTW fare vs a OneWorld Award are the same (thinking airlines like Aer Lingus, Fiji Airways, et).

Just out of interest for those who have recently booked OWJ awards. Roughly how much are you having to spend in QF surcharges? Are there any solid strategies to minimising these (eg I assume avoiding Heathrow is a good one)? Is trial/dummy bookings the best way to go to estimate what you're up for?

Points balance nudging the 1M mark so I'm looking at options!
Just completed my booking, and all up finished at around $2500 for 2 pax in J.

Transit through LHR twice, (no stopovers there) and using CX and JL kept our costs down, the most expensive segment was the BA from ORD to BRU.

Just completed my booking, and all up finished at around $2500 for 2 pax in J.

Transit through LHR twice, (no stopovers there) and using CX and JL kept our costs down, the most expensive segment was the BA from ORD to BRU.
Thanks. What was the route you ended up booking?

THREE frustrating hours on Chat this afternoon, trying to simply add 3 flights to my 280k J award, that I found online on QF.
Previously had issues getting IB MAD-JFK added to my award booking (and getting to MAD from NCE on IB added even though all seemingly available online. The MAD-JFK was deemed only available for new bookings....not adding to existing).
So booked HEL-JFK upon release (4 x J), and now needing to sort out NCE-HEL to connect. Problems yesterday with agents adding the AY connection LHR-HEL, in similar vein to the issues I (QF) had with the IB NCE-MAD flights). Try again today.
Will just paste the transcripts (the first 3 hour one, which after seemingly paying the ++ and confirming it all, noted my booking in MMB had not been updated. and the subsequent follow up an hour or so later as I didnt want the CX LAX-ADL flights to disappear).
Most of the 3 hours was the waiting time after each of my responses, and the QF operator to come back with a reply, 15mins+ at times.
It cannot/should not be this hard to add flights displayed on the website (married segment scenarios aside)

Not sure how this will cut and paste, but better to give the whole picture than try and paraphrase,even if my frustrations are evident!

The following is a record of your online chat.

General Info

Chat start time

Tue, 30 Oct 2018 06:25:08 GMT GMT

Chat end time

Tue, 30 Oct 2018 09:19:17 GMT GMT

Duration (actual chatting time)

02:54:08

Operator

Luis

Chat Transcript

Info: Advice and bookings will be subject to Australian Terms & Conditions and will be charged in Australian Dollars (AUD).
Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your current position in queue is:1
Thank you for your patience.
Info: Hello, you're now chatting with Luis.
How can I help you today?
Info:
Cjd600:
Hi Luis, I want to make a change to an existing award booking, but cant add flights online
Luis: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Luis:

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Luis:

I'm happy to check this for you.

For privacy and security, may I have the booking reference, name/s of the passenger/s in the booking and flight details (including origin/destination and departure dates)?

Cjd600: …”flight details…”

Luis:

Thanks for the details. I am now checking your booking. Can you also confirm your most updated email address & phone number?

Cjd600: “…details…”
Luis:

Thank your for your patience, Cjd600.

Luis:

I would suggest just to create a separate booking for the flight you want to add as adding another flight leg for a Reward Booking is not possible. My apologies.

Cjd600: No. Its a Oneworld Business Class Classic Award. All flights need to be on the one booking. I need to add the new flights as they are released. Are you familiar with this award?
Luis:

Yes, Cjd600. For adding another flight for Oneworld, you may need to contact our Reservations Team as this is beyond our scope, my apologies for the inconvenience. You can contact them at 13 13 13 and they are open 24/7

Cjd600: And stay on hold for 2 hours? Can you not refer me to someone who knows how to do it, via this chat?
Luis:

Let me check this further, Cjd600. One moment, please.

Cjd600: Thank you, I appreciate it
Luis:

Thanks

Luis:

I am coordinating with our Awards Team, Cjd600. Please bear with me.

Cjd600: Thanks Luis, no worries
Luis:

You're welcome.

Luis:

I'm still working on your request. Please stay online.

Cjd600: Ok, thanks
Luis:

Thanks.

Luis:

I am also reading your previous conversation with Bee. Please stay online.

Cjd600: Okay....its just a matter of adding flights to my booking. The flights I gave Bee couldn't be added apparently due to FInnair restriction.
Cjd600: Now I have different flights to add
Luis: One moment, please.
Luis:

Hello, Cjd600. Thank you for your patience.

Luis:

Is the flight you still need to add is NCE-OSL?

Cjd600: No. NCE-HEL 7/10 BA347/AY1338 and another flight
Luis: Thank you for waiting, I’ll be right with you.
Cjd600: Thanks. Other flight is LAX-ADL CX885/CX175 23/10
Luis:

One moment, please.

Luis:

Hello, Cjd600.

My apologies for the delay as I have checked your preferred flights for availability, NCE-HEL 7/10 BA347/AY1338 and LAX-ADL CX885/CX175 23/10 is not showing for Classic Reward Flight.

Cjd600: they are each showing on your website
Cjd600: search LAX-ADL 23/10 without flight numbers
Cjd600: NCE-HEL is NCE-LHR in BA business, then LHR-HEL in FInnair economy. The CX LAX-ADL is all business
Cjd600: thanks
Luis:

I am able to sell in, LAX-ADL 23/10 for both business. However, for the LHR to MEL Finnair Economy Awards is not available.

Cjd600: LAX-ADL 4 x business class awards?
Luis:

Yes.

Cjd600: Ok, can you put those in. Can you see how I can get from NCE-HEL on 7/10? I need to connect to my HEL-JFK on 8/10, but cant seem to find ANY flights into HEL on 7/10...
Luis: I've already looked for availability, Cjd600, there is no available Award flight for the LHR to HEL. The only way is to book a separate booking using cash for the leg NCE to HEL and link it to your original.
Cjd600: I can get a business award from NCE-LHR though on BA, can you see that availability? BA347, BA345 etc etc
Luis:

Thanks. One moment, please.

Luis:

I found one, Cjd600.

BA347 NCE TO LHR for Business and LHR TO HEL AY1338 for Economy.

Luis:

Let me try to price it.

Luis:

There will be a change fee of 5,000 Qantas Points per passenger plus a service fee of 8000 Qantas Points per passenger plus any fare and tax difference/person.

Luis:

One moment, please.

Cjd600: Thanks. (there is no 8000 point service fee applicable for business class bookings)
Luis:

One moment, please.

Luis:

Hold on, Cjd600, one moment, please.

Cjd600: sure
Luis:

Hello, Cjd600. My apologies for the delay. I misread the availability for AY1338 in Economy Award, turns out is not available. I am very sorry for the misinformation and I have looked for other options, however, there is really no available, for the LHR to HEL leg for any Award Availability.

Cjd600: ok, can you still add the LAX-ADL flights?
Luis:

I am working on it one moment, please.

Luis:

What was the FF number used to book the flight?

Cjd600: xx_xx_xx

Luis: One moment, please.

Luis:

Total amount will be 156,000 points that includes the fare difference of 34,000/person plus change fee 5000 points person plus the tax difference of AUD 1313.20. Shall we proceed?

Cjd600: yes...but I still need to sort out my NCE-HEL problem
Luis:

Thank you for letting me know. As mentioned earlier, your only option will be booking a separate booking using Cash for that leg as there is no Economy Award available for LHR to HEL.

Luis:

My apologies.

Cjd600: AY seems to be the issue, wo will try all BA. 6/10 NCE-LHR BA345 (economy), 7/10 LHR-HEL BA794 (business)
Cjd600: I seem to be the only one here who can come up with any options
Luis:

Is this a connecting flight, or did you search it as for one way

Cjd600: multi city search
Cjd600: BA should be fine.
Luis:

One moment, please.

Luis:

Let me try again.

Luis:

Hello, Cjd600. The BA794 is leaving from 0825-1320

Luis:

BA345 is leaving 1525-1635, there is no available BA flights from LHR - HEL anymore in Business Awards.

Luis:

My apologies.

Cjd600: I said BA345 on 6/10 and then next day BA794 on 7/10
Luis:

Oh sorry. One moment, please.

Cjd600: so NCE-LHR 6/10 afternoon. Then stay overnight, then 7/10 morning fly LHR-HEL
Luis:

Thanks.

Luis:

Thanks. For BA345 leaving 06/10 the Business Seat Award available left is for 2 passenger, Cjd600, my apologies.

Cjd600: Yes, I said 6/10 BA345 economy. the BA794 shld be business though
Luis:

I found a flight however it will be NCE to LGW

Luis:

Sorry. One moment, please.

Cjd600: I saw that one, but want to be near LHR for next morning flight, so economy is fine for that leg
Cjd600: I need to leave work shortly, am I able to call up and complete this when I get home? With the CX flights saved
Luis:

I'll quote it for you now. One moment, please.

Luis:

I really appreciate your patience.

Cjd600: That's fine. But with this NCE trouble I also need to change my existing flight BA344 4/10 from LHR to NCE, to same flight a day earlier BA344 LHR-NCE 3/10....
Cjd600: or if I cut our time in NCE by a day, my wife might be upset
Luis:

One moment, please.

Cjd600: sure
Luis:

Thanks

Luis:

Total amount will be 156,000 points that includes the fare difference of 34,000/person plus change fee 5000 points person plus the tax difference of AUD 2168.80.

This is for adding the flights:

BA 6/10 NCE-LHR BA345 (economy), 7/10 LHR-HEL BA794 (business)
LAX-ADL CX885/CX175 23/10 (Business)

Luis:

Let me calculate for changing the LHR to NCE for 1 day earlier.

Luis:

Are we still connected?

Cjd600: yes
Luis:

Cjd600: Are you sure? It was only AUD1300 for LAX-ADL. Website shows NCE-LHR-HEL as a total of Euro 204, so your extra charges on that bit seem way out
Luis:

One moment, please.

Luis:

Thank you. In regards with the Tax, the tax difference is AUD 542.00/person as we are adding new international flights, Cjd600.

The total amount will be the same as there is no difference in changing your LHR to NCE on one day earlier.

156,000 points that includes the fare difference of 34,000/person plus change fee 5000 points person plus the tax difference of AUD 2168.80.

Cjd600: Okay, I will just add the LAX-ADL flights then,
Cjd600: I will sort the others later, as I don't believe its AUD850 extra just for those, that's more than the cash price.
Luis:

That is okay. Remember, I am repricing this including the old flights, Cjd600. I suggest if you really want to confirm, you will need to go directly with our Awards Team as I am with them all this time, repricing it for you.

Luis:

Do you wish to proceed with the LAX-ADL only?

Cjd600: yes please
Luis:

Cjd600: actually, go with all of them.
Cjd600: I'll look further into it later
Luis:

Sorry, Cjd600. So you wish to proceed with The total amount 156,000 points that includes the fare difference of 34,000/person plus change fee 5000 points person plus the tax difference of AUD 2168.80?

Cjd600: yes please
Luis:

Thanks.

Luis:

I'll send a Secure Form through this chat. Please enter your Credit Card details for the payment and select Submit.

Luis:

Thanks.

Luis:

One moment, please.

** Secure Payment form provided and submitted****

Cjd600: Ok, thanks Luis, I need to leave now
Luis:

You're welcome.

Luis:

Is there anything else I can help you?

Cjd600: No, thanks, appreciate your time
Cjd600: Will I be emailed the new e-ticket?
Luis:

Thanks

Luis:

The updated e-ticket itinerary will be sent to your email within 24 hours from now.

Cjd600: Great, thanks
Luis:

You're welcome.

Luis:

Thanks for chatting with me. To close this chat and provide us with valuable feedback on your experience, please click on the "X" button at the top right of this chat window.

Info: Thank you for chatting with us.

clip_image001.png

Qantas Live Chat Transcript <[email protected]>

6:57 PM (1 hour ago)

clip_image002.gif

clip_image002.gif

to me

clip_image002.gif

The following is a record of your online chat.

General Info

Chat start time

Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:44:16 GMT GMT

Chat end time

Tue, 30 Oct 2018 11:55:39 GMT GMT

Duration (actual chatting time)

01:11:23

Operator

Ren

Chat Transcript

Info: Advice and bookings will be subject to Australian Terms & Conditions and will be charged in Australian Dollars (AUD).
Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly
Info: Hello, you're now chatting with Ren.
How can I help you today?
Info:
Cjd600:
Hi, can I check on an award booking please? I was on chat making some changes, but they are not reflected on my booking - usually it updates the booking straight away
Ren:

Hi, Cjd600. Let me look into that for you. Can I please have your full name/s, flight details (destination and date of travel) and booking reference?

Cjd600: Thanks. **details**
Ren:

Thanks. May I also have your email address and phone number in the booking, please?

Cjd600: ***details***
Ren:

Thanks. Let me check this booking for you.

Cjd600: Ta
Ren:

You're welcome.

Ren:

Thank you for your patience. I'll be with you shortly.

Cjd600: ok,thanks
Ren: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Ren:

Thank you again for your patience. I'll be with you shortly.

Ren:

Thank you for your patience. The current flights that you have here are below:

QF554 25SEP SYD BNE 2030 2200
CX456 26SEP BNE HKG 0050 0730
CX279 26SEP HKG CDG 0905 1550
BA344 04OCT LHR NCE 1120 1425
AY005 08OCT HEL JFK 1220 1405

Cjd600: Yes, that should have been updated after my 3 hour chat today, and $2k taxes payment.
Cjd600: Can you see my chat with Luis on my account?
Ren: Thank you for waiting, I’ll be right with you.
Ren:

I'm unable to see that. However, I can send you the e-ticket for this flight on which you will receive anytime within 24 hours.

Cjd600: But I added 3 more flights today.He didn't know what he was doing clearly.
Ren:

What are the flights that you're trying add?

Cjd600: This is what he was supposed to do, and gave me a secure payment form, and accepted my payment: paste from his chat Luis: Total amount will be 156,000 points that includes the fare difference of 34,000/person plus change fee 5000 points person plus the tax difference of AUD 2168.80. This is for adding the flights: BA 6/10 NCE-LHR BA345 (economy), 7/10 LHR-HEL BA794 (business) LAX-ADL CX885/CX175 23/10 (Business)
Cjd600: And I also changed my 4/10 LHR-NCE to same flight but on 3/10
Ren:

Thank you for that information. Let me check the availability of the flight. One moment, please.

Cjd600: It better still be there after I wasted 3 hours with incompetent Luis. Thanks
Ren:

Thank you for your patience. I'll be with you shortly.

Cjd600: Appreciate your help
Ren:

Thank you for your patience. Please confirm below details of new flights:
BA344 03OCT LHR NCE 1130 1435 - Business - changes from 04OCT
BA345 06OCT NCE LHR 1525 1635 - Economy
CX885 23OCT LAX HKG 1230 1855+1 - Business
CX175 25OCT HKG ADL 0020 1130 - Business

Cjd600: and also 7/10 LHR-HEL BA794 (business). You'll prob need to search the ADL-LAX as one leg
Cjd600: LAX-ADL sorry
Ren:

Thanks. The flight from LAX to ADL that would be 23 October 2019?

Cjd600: yes
Ren:

There is no direct flight on that route what we have is the flight below:

Cjd600: yep, that's fine, thanks, Luis couldn't find it like that
Ren:

Great. The new flights are below:
BA344 03OCT LHR NCE 1130 1435 - Business - changes from 04OCT
BA345 06OCT NCE LHR 1525 1635 - Economy
BA794 07OCT LHR HEL 0825 1320 - Business

Cjd600: yes, perfect, thanks
Ren:

May I have your Frequent Flyer account number, please?

Cjd600: *******

Ren:

To help you with your query we'll need your Frequent Flyer PIN. I’ll send a Secure Form through this chat for you to enter your PIN and select Submit.

Ren:

Ren:

Thank you for your patience. The total amount of points needed is 136,000 points per passenger plus the change fee of 5,000 points per passenger, service fee of 8,000 points per passenger and the taxes of AUD542.20 per passenger. Shall we proceed?

Cjd600: yes, but the 8k points service fee does not apply to business awards
Ren:

I see. One moment, please.

Ren:

Yes, there is no service fee for this.

Ren:

I'll send a Secure Form through this chat. Please enter your Credit Card details for the payment and select Submit.

Ren:

Thanks. Let me process this for you.

Cjd600: Thank you
Ren:

Thank you for your patience. It's done. You will receive the updated e-ticket anytime within 24 hours.

Cjd600: Thanks Ren, much appreciated - wish I got you at 1pm today and saved 3 frustrating hours. Think a Supervisor should look at my transcript chat with Luis, which still failed after he took my payment....definite training required. ANyway, thanks for your help, have a nice evening
Ren:

You're welcome.

Ren:

Thanks for chatting with me. To close this chat and provide us with valuable feedback on your experience, please click on the "X" button at the top right of this chat window.

Info: Thank you for chatting with us.

clip_image003.png

It's not a Round the World booking.

How many times do we have to go through this? :rolleyes:

A OneWorld Award does NOT mean that there's any requirement to go round the world. The 35K miles is a key limit (along with some stopover and number of carriers rules).

A OneWorld Explorer (aka xONEx) is a true RTW fare, where there is a requirement to go round-the-world - but it's a PAID fare.

They are completely separate entities.

We really must remove any 'round the world' phrase from this thread :mad:. It causes far too much confusion.

Thanks. What was the route you ended up booking?

June to August 2019

PER xHKG YVR (stop) CX (both A350)
YVR - JFK (stop) CX (777)
**ground segment to Chicago**
ORD xLHR BRU (stop) BA (A380 + A320)
**ground segment to Rome**
FCO xLHR BER (stop) BA (A320)
**ground segment to Frankfurt**
FRA - NRT (stop) JL (787)
NRT xHKG PER CX (A330 + A350)

As a bit of an AVgeek, I'm looking forward to trying our the CX A350, BA A380 and JL 787

Was going to go FCO to HKG (stop) then to NRT - but just couldn't get Qatar or Cathay on the days required, so adjusted trip to make Berlin a stopover and fly out JL from Frankfurt to NRT direct on a Dreamliner (seemed to have a fair bit of availability)

Last edited:
Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

Does anyone know what taxes on Royal Jordanian is like?
From two flights I've calculated i have got the following in AUD

Rome - Amman ~$250
Amman - Hong Kong ~$450
Amman - Cairo ~$340

Anyone confirm they are high? Is it one to avoid?

Have been booking my third J OW RTW fare x 2 and to say it’s been a nightmare is an understatement.

I had BNE-HKG-DOH-LHR ticketed with CX/QR with about $AUD1000 in surcharges.

I rang to add CDG-LHR-JFK/JFK-YVR/YVR-HKG/HKG-CMB/MLE-HKG-BNE/ with BA/CX/UL.

I had J confirmed on everything and then the Qantas CSR said he would request J on the UL leg, which I said didn’t matter because it was only an hour flight. Over the next week I repeatedly contacted Qantas and told them the QR flights would drop out if it wasn’t ticketed quickly. They insisted all would be well. Six days later, the QR flights dropped out.

Since then I’ve been shunted from one person to another.

At some point someone removed the UL/CX flights MLE-CMB-HKG and added MLE-DOH-SIN-BNE with QR/QF. As it stands now I have BNE-SYD-SIN-LHR (QF)/ CDG-LHR-JFK (BA)/JFK-YVR (CX) /YVR-HKG (CX) /HKG-CMB (CX) /MLE-DOH-SIN (QR)-BNE (QF).

Last night I was told this was the best that could be done and that we should ticket it before the QR seats dropped out. Then he dropped the bombshell – surcharges $4300 on top of the $1000 already paid!

Last year I did BNE-ADL-DOH-ATH/ATH-LHR-CDG/BER-HEL-JFK/JFK-YVR/LAS-LAX-HKG-PEK/PEK-SYD-BNE for 2 x J and paid a little under $2800. When I told the CSR it had to be the QF flights that had blown it out, he maintained he did a dummy booking with CX flights and it came out close to the same. I can’t believe it! Would appreciate any help. I’m desperate ☹

Please, please don't use the term "taxes" in total reference to additional payments beyond the points needed for a redemption.

"Taxes" generally form but a minor part of any additional payment required which is composed of various mandated airport/government fees/levies and carrier surcharges. The fees/levies are set; it's the carrier surcharges such as fuel and insurance imposed by the airlines that vary so much.

Use "Surcharges", co-payment, "+++" or similar.

Why? The blanket use of the term "taxes" plays into the carriers' hands in masking their onerous surcharges.

Last edited:
As it stands now I have BNE-SYD-SIN-LHR (QF)/ CDG-LHR-JFK (BA)/JFK-YVR (CX) /YVR-HKG (CX) /HKG-CMB (CX) /MLE-DOH-SIN (QR)-BNE (QF).

Carrier surcharges, approximate from the above and also multi-city tool (using Aus as point of travel).

BNE-LHR(QF) $ 540
CDG-JFK(BA) $ 309
JFK-YVR(CX) $ 26
YVR-HKG(CX) $ 117
HKG-CMB(CX) $ 117
MLE-SIN(QR) $ 516
SIN-BNE(QF) $ 240

Carrier surcharge approximate total per pax = $ 1,865

So another ~$800 in actual taxes per pax to bring you to the total paid, as tough as a pill it is to swallow it does all add up.

And, following on from @serfty, please, please, please don't use J OW RTW.

First up, there is no such thing as a specific 'package'.

A OneWorld Explorer (aka xONEx) is a RTW 'package', in the case of Business Class booking into the D bucket. This is the true RTW fare.

This thread is all about the OW Award fixed 140K, 280K (in the case of Business Class), 420K points 'package'. There is no requirement to go 'RTW'.

Carrier surcharges, approximate from the above and also multi-city tool (using Aus as point of travel).

BNE-LHR(QF) $ 540
CDG-JFK(BA) $ 309
JFK-YVR(CX) $ 26
YVR-HKG(CX) $ 117
HKG-CMB(CX) $ 117
MLE-SIN(QR) $ 516
SIN-BNE(QF) $ 240

Carrier surcharge approximate total per pax = $ 1,865

So another ~$800 in actual taxes per pax to bring you to the total paid, as tough as a pill it is to swallow it does all add up.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Hi all, this is my first attempt at planning and booking a RTW trip.

Oct 3: SYD to NRT (Qantas or Japan Air)
Oct 12: NRT to FCO (Cathay, less than 24-hour stopover in Hong Kong ... if not possible, Qatar via Doha)
Nov 3: FCO/MXP to LIS/OPO (Iberia)
Nov 12: OPO/LIS to BOS (Iberia or AA, less than 24-hour stopover in Madrid)
Dec 10: DFW to SYD (QF)

Iberia flights to US look like hard work. Am now thinking about doing something this (especially given AY surcharge):
SYD-NRT-HKG-FCO-HEL-LIS-HEL-BOS-DFW-SYD

Plan would be both stops in HEL less than 24 hours, so they're transits rather than stopovers.

Doesn't come up while searching rewards A>B but can find some decent options as multi-city bookings.
Am I ok to book FCO-HEL-LIS then LIS-HEL-BOS as multi-city bookings, then add to oneworld award shell? Even though they are separate segments, it should still count as transit because >24 hours .. yeah?

You are still getting a very good deal and in some circumstances paying less than 10% or even 5% of the equivalent revenue fare.

The underlying culture of entitlement is astounding.

Points are just another form of currency that do not follow banking regulations. They are exchanged for services or goods of value, after all.

If the cost is a concern, don't travel. Or make more money. Just saying.

Iberia flights to US look like hard work. Am now thinking about doing something this (especially given AY surcharge):
SYD-NRT-HKG-FCO-HEL-LIS-HEL-BOS-DFW-SYD

Plan would be both stops in HEL less than 24 hours, so they're transits rather than stopovers.

Doesn't come up while searching rewards A>B but can find some decent options as multi-city bookings.
Am I ok to book FCO-HEL-LIS then LIS-HEL-BOS as multi-city bookings, then add to oneworld award shell? Even though they are separate segments, it should still count as transit because >24 hours .. yeah?
Don’t think you can make a multi city booking then add it to a Oneworld award, others can confirm

It is possible on a rare instance, if you have an issue and can manage to convince them (I had it when one of my flights there was no availability on the phone but I booked it online and they merged it). But I just tried about an hour ago for the same issue and they wouldn't have a bar of it

Also be careful with Finnair (AY) as they do have married segments. I just tried booking ROM-HEL then HEL-PEK within a 24 hour stopover and it wouldn't let me book both. Could do one or the other.

It is possible on a rare instance, if you have an issue and can manage to convince them (I had it when one of my flights there was no availability on the phone but I booked it online and they merged it). But I just tried about an hour ago for the same issue and they wouldn't have a bar of it

Also be careful with Finnair (AY) as they do have married segments. I just tried booking ROM-HEL then HEL-PEK within a 24 hour stopover and it wouldn't let me book both. Could do one or the other.

I've never come across being able to 'merge' bookings.. it'd make this game a great deal easier if that was the case and one didn't need to rely on the QF call centre lottery.
Agree re beware AY, and would also add IB to that. I've had trouble with both trying to add intra-Europe flights, showing available on QF

Agree re beware AY, and would also add IB to that. I've had trouble with both trying to add intra-Europe flights, showing available on QF

Both AY and IB use married segment control. You must search as origin destination.

Both AY and IB use married segment control. You must search as origin destination.

Yep, did that (searched origin to dest). And called QF to add to the booking.
QF staff still couldnt add AY searching NCE-HEL (results showing BA NCE-LHR, AY LHR-HEL), or IB to IB searching NCE-JFK (results showing NCE-MAD IB, MAD-JFK IB )
The AY and IB flights were stated as the problem each time ("only available for new bookings was one of the more common reasons given,amongst many on various calls). They also wouldnt let me add MAD-JFK IB, whioch was showing as a standlone. But would let me take HEL-JFK on AY (which I was happy with until the issues trying to get top HEL)
Both searches came up as NCE-HEL. (as I have HEL-JFK already booked AY)
Have had to do BA/BA and overnight LHR, NCE-LHR-HEL
:-(

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back