Odds of getting pro-rata refund on plat charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Silver
Hi,

I'm looking to potentially sign up the Mrs to the plat charge and was wondering, after hitting the minimum spend and moving the points, what the odds are of getting a pro-rata refund? No intention to spend the plat charge travel credit or the Reserve credit, just get the points. Ethics aside, does anyone have any experience with this? What are my odds?

Thanks

They would not allow a reversal or part refund of any kind as I had held the card for more than 30 days since the annual fee had been applied.

this has got me thinking, if you sign up for this card, do you get to keep the hotel status if you cancel within 30days?

• Complimentary enrolment into elite tier of hotel partner programs including Club Carlson[SUP]SM14[/SUP], Starwood Preferred Guest[SUP]®15[/SUP], Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership[SUP]16[/SUP]and Hilton HHonors[SUP]TM[/SUP] Gold status[SUP]17[/SUP]

this has got me thinking, if you sign up for this card, do you get to keep the hotel status if you cancel within 30days?

• Complimentary enrolment into elite tier of hotel partner programs including Club Carlson[SUP]SM14[/SUP], Starwood Preferred Guest[SUP]®15[/SUP], Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership[SUP]16[/SUP]and Hilton HHonors[SUP]TM[/SUP] Gold status[SUP]17[/SUP]

I believe they cancel it - well, downgrade you to non-gold...Not immediately (I believe Priority Pass gets cancelled right away).

I've answered my own question - spoke to Amex today and the official line is as posted above regarding 30 days. You only get the refund if you haven't used the travel credits, moved the bonus points or otherwise used some of the platinum benefits (he was talking about companion ticketing or something to that effect)...so no go for me.

I cancelled mine in January 2017, approximately 8 months [2/3] into my first year. I had transferred out all of the bonus points, and used all hotel statuses etc, most heavily the Priority Pass membership over the year in about 20-30 international airport lounges. I requested a pro-rata refund of the $1200 fee, and they said they'd look into it, but it would take a couple of weeks. Sure enough, $400 into my linked bank account 2-3 weeks later.

DIdn't think you could lose the Priority Pass or Hotel Memberships as they are in your name and have an expiry date on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back