Notification of Overseas Travel for Citibank cards - Dumbest Thing I've Read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renato1

Established Member
Today I went to the Citibank site, to see if there was anywhere to lodge a notification of overseas travel, to ensure my Visa card would work when I visit Bali. I couldn't find anywhere to do it on line, which was annoying as communicating with Citibank has become more problematic than what it used to be - being texted heaps of code numbers for the simplest communication.

Then I did a search for overseas travel notification, which came up with the result that, as a service to customers, the customers no longer need notify the bank about overseas travel. Instead, they can just use their cards overseas, and when the bank's computer detects unusual activity - they will send text messages and codes to one's registered phone and one will have to take appropriate action, including using the Citibank app somehow.

Also, it's not clear if this process gets invoked in every single country that one visits. In the past, my old international SIM card, didn't always work in each country I visited.

So, one lands overseas, tries to use the card at an ATM or hotel or shop, the card doesn't work, one has to stuff around for minutes.getting the card to work - possibly with a queue behind one - and hopefully get the card to work. This only works if one has one's own phone with international roaming or has notified Citibank of an overseas SIM card in one's profile. I'm not sure if one needs active internet for this process to work.

I've sent Citibank a message today asking exactly how do I get this process to work, as I don't have an Australian phone that works in Indonesia.

As far as I'm concerned, it was much simpler in the past where I just rang them up and said I was going to use the card overseas. Hopefully they will respond that this is still the case, but I suspect that many people who read what I read at their site - and follow it - will wind up in strife.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
Given my past experiences with Citibank this is nothing in comparison to their normal dumb behaviour.

If you are using the phone application, then register for their 'token' (if you have updated the application recently, it will push the 'token' a fair bit). It obviates the need for getting One Time Pins via digital data or wi-fi, which is what I think you are talking about. You can do it with your laptop if you can get some free wi-fi at a hotel or coffee shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: RB
If you are using the phone application, then register for their 'token' (if you have updated the application really, it will push the 'token' a fair bit). It obviates the need for getting One Time Pins via digital data or wi-fi, which is what I think you are talking about. You can do it with your laptop if you can get some free wi-fi at a hotel or coffee shop.
Thanks - but can I do that before I leave Australia, or do I have to do it in Indonesia?
Cheers,
Renato

I'm pretty sure you can do it any time. Info about it is part of the opening screen when I go to Citi Australia, but I can't post a link as it opens in a protected browser window for me and I can't copy/paste!

Here is the information on the token and overseas use....... I haven't made a trip since activating the token so I can't provide any advice based on experience.

Travelling Overseas - Citi Australia

I love the statement on that page about the inherent risk of using your card overseas and that you need to update your profile with contact information while overseas, but you can't just notify them that you will be overseas and to expect unusual activity. They're hopeless.

Update: Just played around with it. Once you activate it, and set a PIN to the app, you can generate a OTP from overseas even if not connected to internet or mobile service (kind of like the old key chain token that CBA had). So activate it before you go.

I sent them a message as well asking them to put a security note on my file of international travel, and acknowledged that they claim they don't need to know in advance but stressed the fact that on leisure trips, I don't check my phone or email very often so giving them a number for me overseas is of little value.

Last edited:
Funny, This thread reminded me I need to do all the overseas trip notification stuff, so I just called Virgin Money (aka Citi) to notify them of international travel, they didn't say anything about not wanting to know, we already monitor your card, etc..... he just took the details and wished me a safe trip (like the card companies should..... I don't call them to get a lecture for taking up their call centre time).

Amex was the same when I did the chat from my plat charge account screen, she took the details and noted my cards and my partners cards as well. Too easy.

I've still been able to notify them of overseas travel since this came in, but only bother doing it now for particularly "unusual" countries. I haven't worried about it for places like New Zealand, etc.

I can't say I like this system. I don't want to have to deal with them calling me when I'm overseas and it may well be the middle of the night in my time zone. Or worse, they can't reach me and have to cancel the card. Why do Citibank assume I'll have 24/7 access to my phone when travelling?

My experience is that notifying banks of intended overseas travel does not prevent them from either directly refusing a transaction or querying it.

I've never bothered in the past and my cards all worked fine. Coles are very on edge though and have called 3 times in the USA even though I gave them my exact travel profile after the first call...

I've never bothered in the past and my cards all worked fine. Coles are very on edge though and have called 3 times in the USA even though I gave them my exact travel profile after the first call...
28 degrees is too. Even online. Annoying when you buy something in USD then at 2am you get a text wanting you to confirm the transaction in AUD. You don’t necessarily know it’s the same transaction so you call the specified tel number on the spot as the text woke you anyway. Only to be told their call centre doesn’t open until 7am. Groan. So you call them in the morning and they don’t have the USD amount nor the merchant details anyway. So what is the freakin point? CYA I guess.

I don't have issues with 28 degrees but my profile must have me travelling with no notice all the time.

On a recent USA trip I completely forgot to notify banks but had no problems. Better yet as soon as I had a mobile network my NAB app detected I was away and sent me a notification asking me to confirm.

Yet another reason I wont touch any card that touches Citibank.

Citibank have been very good to me in terms of communication on the phone. Always been pleased.

Except since this stupid idea came in. Every time my card gets blocked, every time it's a hoo-ha and at least 20 minutes on the phone. Last time, in NZ of all places, I spent literally 25 minutes on the phone being handballed between SIX different agents, before I finally got someone who said they had lifted the hold.

And hey ho, the very next time I went to use the card in a Countdown...DENIED. Flat out frustrating and I agree with the OP, it was 10x easier beforehand when I just rang and said I am going here, here and here in the next three weeks. I *never* had a problem with that system, even in places like Ukraine.

Citibank Visa worked perfectly for us in the EU recently..... with two exceptions. I was buying two metro passes online in CPH (one for each of us) - first transaction went through ok, second one a minute later for the exact same amount denied. I was in a hurry so used 28D for the second transaction and it went through.

One other time in MUC, Citibank MCard didn't work, tried 28D card, didn't work, tried QF MCard, didn't work; finally used Amex Ultimate and transaction went through. A few hours later Citibank and 28D cards were working fine.

In the first issue, I guess two transactions for the same amount within a minute or so would be flagged as a duplicate. The second issue seemed to be a "non-domestic MasterCard" issue at that particular venue (Munich Residence).

Last edited:
My experience is that notifying banks of intended overseas travel does not prevent them from either directly refusing a transaction or querying it.

Same here. I was in South Africa 2 years ago and despite my advising ANZ that I was travelling to that country my ANZ Black credit card was declined at hotel checkout. I rang through to the ANZ "helpdesk" where the agent told me "oh, yes, I can see you have advised us that you are travelling in South Africa". When I asked why it had been declined, she told me that it was because I was in South Africa....
eventually the block was removed.

good system..

Same here. I was in South Africa 2 years ago and despite my advising ANZ that I was travelling to that country my ANZ Black credit card was declined at hotel checkout. I rang through to the ANZ "helpdesk" where the agent told me "oh, yes, I can see you have advised us that you are travelling in South Africa". When I asked why it had been declined, she told me that it was because I was in South Africa....

good system..
Hilarious, thanks.
Renato

I'm pretty sure you can do it any time. Info about it is part of the opening screen when I go to Citi Australia, but I can't post a link as it opens in a protected browser window for me and I can't copy/paste!
I will try it, thanks, despite the response I got from Citibank which indicates I no lonr have to.
Renato

Here is the information on the token and overseas use....... I haven't made a trip since activating the token so I can't provide any advice based on experience.

Travelling Overseas - Citi Australia

I love the statement on that page about the inherent risk of using your card overseas and that you need to update your profile with contact information while overseas, but you can't just notify them that you will be overseas and to expect unusual activity. They're hopeless.

Update: Just played around with it. Once you activate it, and set a PIN to the app, you can generate a OTP from overseas even if not connected to internet or mobile service (kind of like the old key chain token that CBA had). So activate it before you go.

I sent them a message as well asking them to put a security note on my file of international travel, and acknowledged that they claim they don't need to know in advance but stressed the fact that on leisure trips, I don't check my phone or email very often so giving them a number for me overseas is of little value.
I will play with that app, thanks.
Renato

Funny, This thread reminded me I need to do all the overseas trip notification stuff, so I just called Virgin Money (aka Citi) to notify them of international travel, they didn't say anything about not wanting to know, we already monitor your card, etc..... he just took the details and wished me a safe trip (like the card companies should..... I don't call them to get a lecture for taking up their call centre time).

Amex was the same when I did the chat from my plat charge account screen, she took the details and noted my cards and my partners cards as well. Too easy.
True, and banks like CBA and its subsidiary, are even easier - just pit the travel countries and dates in on line.
Renato

I've still been able to notify them of overseas travel since this came in, but only bother doing it now for particularly "unusual" countries. I haven't worried about it for places like New Zealand, etc.

I can't say I like this system. I don't want to have to deal with them calling me when I'm overseas and it may well be the middle of the night in my time zone. Or worse, they can't reach me and have to cancel the card. Why do Citibank assume I'll have 24/7 access to my phone when travelling?
Interesting, thanks.
Renato

My experience is that every time my card has been declined, and I complained to them, they've always said they have never blocked me.
Which it transpired could well be true. One chap at CBA told me that when I have a positive balance in my credit card, it generates an integer, which some overseas banks use as a trigger to decline the transaction.
Renato

They called you three times! Pretty amazing the difference between the ways cresit card providers act.
Renato

28 degrees is too. Even online. Annoying when you buy something in USD then at 2am you get a text wanting you to confirm the transaction in AUD. You don’t necessarily know it’s the same transaction so you call the specified tel number on the spot as the text woke you anyway. Only to be told their call centre doesn’t open until 7am. Groan. So you call them in the morning and they don’t have the USD amount nor the merchant details anyway. So what is the freakin point? CYA I guess.
They do this now?
Amazing.
Renato

I don't have issues with 28 degrees but my profile must have me travelling with no notice all the time.
Some people are favoured over others apparently.
Cheers,
Renato

On a recent USA trip I completely forgot to notify banks but had no problems. Better yet as soon as I had a mobile network my NAB app detected I was away and sent me a notification asking me to confirm.
That is most interesting, thanks.
Renato

Yet another reason I wont touch any card that touches Citibank.
Oh - a tad harsh. Using this card saves me around $300 to $400 per trip on foreign exchange fees. You have to give them some credit.
Cheers,
Renato

Citibank have been very good to me in terms of communication on the phone. Always been pleased.

Except since this stupid idea came in. Every time my card gets blocked, every time it's a hoo-ha and at least 20 minutes on the phone. Last time, in NZ of all places, I spent literally 25 minutes on the phone being handballed between SIX different agents, before I finally got someone who said they had lifted the hold.

And hey ho, the very next time I went to use the card in a Countdown...DENIED. Flat out frustrating and I agree with the OP, it was 10x easier beforehand when I just rang and said I am going here, here and here in the next three weeks. I *never* had a problem with that system, even in places like Ukraine.
What you describe is exactly what I was worried about. Very interesting to see that it has happened to others such as yourself.
Regards,
Renato

Citibank Visa worked perfectly for us in the EU recently..... with two exceptions. I was buying two metro passes in CPH (one for each of us) - first transaction went through ok, second one a minute later for the exact same amount denied. I was in a hurry so used 28D for the second transaction and it went through.

One other time in MUC, Citibank MCard didn't work, tried 28D card, didn't work, tried QF MCard, didn't work; finally used Amex Ultimate and transaction went through. A few hours later Citibank and 28D cards were working fine.

In the first issue, I guess two transactions for the same amount within a minute or so would be flagged as a duplicate. The second issue seemed to be a "non-domestic MasterCard" issue at that particular venue (Munich Residence).
Your story reminds me of when I was in Hong Kong where I had three cards which I couldn't get to work in a dozen ATMs along the main street. Till eventually I came to HSBC where they all worked fine.
Regards,
Renato

good system..

I think your account has some significance relating to South Africa.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
Citibank replied to me as follows.
"
Dear Renato

We thank you for keeping us updated with your travel plans. This has
been added to your account records.

We confirm that you no longer need to contact Citibank to advise us of your travel
."

Which is very good!
Cheers,
Renato

Here is the information on the token and overseas use....... I haven't made a trip since activating the token so I can't provide any advice based on experience

Have accepted the token thing and am overseas and confirm when a OTP was necessary, message came up that "OTP verified by token" or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back