Norwegian launches flights between LGW and SIN

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by AIRwin, Apr 21, 2017.

1. AIRwin

AIRwin Established Member

Apr 13, 2013
    BNE
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisementsMore…

2. Melburnian1

Melburnian1 Senior Member

Jun 7, 2013
    There is also a lengthy report on Business Traveller AsiaPacific's website.

3. Mattg

Mattg Senior Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This is certainly an interesting development. Low-cost travel all the way to Europe just got even easier.

Buy a round-trip ticket from Australia to Singapore on Scoot or Jetstar. Buy a second round-trip ticket from Singapore to London on Norwegian, and you have a return trip to Europe for potentially well under $1,000 (and even less if you don't need checked luggage)!

4. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    The potential already exists though with a range of legacy carriers all under $1000. Meals, booze, IFE and everything else included. And no potential missed connections.

5. Mattg

Mattg Senior Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That's true. The LCC option is perhaps more price-competitive if purchasing one-way tickets.

Either way, I'll be interested to see how this new route goes. SIN-LGW would surely have to be one of the world's longest non-stop LCC flights?

6. moa999

moa999 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    LCCs are very useful for combining with reward tix or building your own RTW.
    My last RTW..
    JQ SYD-HNL (Y with paid upgrade)
    AA HNL-LAX-CLT-MIA-PTY-MIA-JFK (paid J/F)
    DY JFK-BGN-DBV (that's Norwegian to Bergen and Dubrovnik)
    QR VIE-DOH-HKG (AA reward in J)
    QF HKG-BNE-SYD (AA reward in J)

• Like Like x 3
  7. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    I can't think of one longer.

Hadn't thought of one-ways, but they are goof for that.

8. AIRwin

AIRwin Established Member

Apr 13, 2013
    BNE
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    AirAsia X (D7) will be launching KUL-KIX-HNL

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I never find LCCs that cheap. You can pick up flights on legacy carriers for not much more.

One thing I did find was LCCs are good for one way travel if booked in advance. For last minute travel they can be expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mattg

Mattg Senior Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    But that's not a non-stop flight. ;)

11. Cool Cat Phil

Cool Cat Phil Established Member

May 2, 2013
    Melbourne, VIC
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    [off topic] I wonder if GK will launch services to HNL?
    Particularly as JQ already fly to HNL, NRT & KIX, and Hawaii is immensely popular with the Japanese with countless daily services offered by JAL & ANA.

12. Mattg

Mattg Senior Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have no doubt that they would fill their planes if Jetstar Japan offered NRT-HNL flights. But (unless the plane stopped somewhere like MDY) GK's A320s wouldn't have the range.

I wonder if JQ could operate such a flight though (or at least provide the required 787/s)?

13. andyhui01

andyhui01 Member

Nov 17, 2015
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    yes. But D7 did have KUL - London (Can't remember which airport) which is only 200 or so km shorter more than 5 years ago. Would have survived if they had 787's. IIRC, they used A340's.

14. Strategic Aviation

Strategic Aviation Active Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Indeed, London-Singapore becomes world's longest LCC route as Norwegian enters: Long haul low cost, Part 1:-

The CAPA article provides a ton of info about past, present and future long haul LCC routes. For instance, tiny independent LCC French Blue will briefly hold the longest title if it launches Paris-La Réunion in mid-2017 as planned. Manila-LA is suggested as the most likely longer LCC route over the next few years (almost 1,000km longer than LGW-SIN).

There's a table of the longest route for each of 14 LCCs, ranging from 6,934km to 10,841km for the new LGW-SIN. Block times are upwards of 8:45, max 13:40 for the new LGW-SIN.

Air Asia X Aims to Resume London Route :: Routesonline:-

AirAsia is all Airbus these days, except for potentially leasing two B777s for resuming Gatwick ahead of the delivery of new aircraft.