No more Diners points transfers to SPG or AA from 01 June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm all my DC have been going to SPG. Looks like my points will be going to CX from now on (have too many Virgin points no longer comfortable with it).
Hopefully the earn rate isn't next to be tinkered with.

Just got off the phone with the call center. Confirmed no more SPG apparently they reviewed the rewards program and hardly anyone transferred to SPG. New partners will be announced soon.
Whilst AFF members aren't necessarily typical of all DC members, sounds like most of us on here transfer to SPG. I've booked 3 overseas SPG redemptions on the last year.
Alternatives left are Hilton Hhonours (I don't think it's good use of points) and Hyatt (sounds like I'll have to study up on it).
Have some DC points to post next few statements not sure I want to strand them with SPG in case they're devalued before I book something.

No more:

AA
Air Canada
Alaska Airlines
Best Western
Choice Privileges
El Al
Frontier
Hawaiian
Hyatt
Marriott
SAA
SAS
Southwest
SPG

Apparently these are new (although they show already?)

CX
Etihad
Thai

I was under the assumption that the main benefit of SPG was the +25% (which may disappear anyway with Marriott), second benefit being certain other airlines.

I'm interested in J returns to EU ex MEL/SYD

On the AA forum after devaluation they said next best was SQ, which still remains a DC partner

So, Q's:

1. Given SPG/Hyatt are going, but Club Carlson, Hilton, IHG stay, does anyone else offer a bonus like SPG does? And do any of them transfer to airline partners that may include AA?
2. Would SQ then otherwise be best J to EU?
3. Does Club Carlson, Hilton, IHG offer ability to transfer to anyone better than SQ J to EU?

I guess it's worth hanging in another year to see the dust settle as you can at least get the $400 membership back in Myer/Coles vouchers easily enough (and then some). I find the Amex Plat Edge gift card game too much of a headache.

Great :( :(...I usually TF to SPG or Hyatt!

No more:

AA
Air Canada
Alaska Airlines
Best Western
Choice Privileges
El Al
Frontier
Hawaiian
Hyatt
Marriott
SAA
SAS
Southwest
SPG

Apparently these are new (although they show already?)

CX
Etihad
Thai

I'm confused. So are you saying they're getting rid of the AA and AS transfer too?? Sucks that they're getting rid of SPG. I usually transfer to them too!

Maybe it might be worth bringing out the AMEX card?

I'm confused. So are you saying they're getting rid of the AA and AS transfer too?? Sucks that they're getting rid of SPG. I usually transfer to them too!

Maybe it might be worth bringing out the AMEX card?

I'm saying Diners Club is ending transfers to AA and AS on 01 June 2016.
In total they are ending transfers to 14 partners (the list under "No more")

Hmm ok. Don't know where on the website it says that they are getting rid of those transfers but I'll take your word for it. I'd believe you more than those people working for DC.

As far as HH and Club Carlson go they both have transfer rates of 10,000 points = 1,000 miles to both AA and AS.

Hardly seems worth it!

Wow this coupled with SPG change is going to make me rethink my points earning.

Will look at Macquire HH or ANZ Qantas or Citibank Emirates maybe :(

I have spoken to Diners customer service to express my disappointment and will definitely cancel the card if they go ahead. I ask her to pass on the feedback to management.
I told her that the only thing I do with Diners points is to transfer to SPG then AA. I'm not interested in anything else.

I have just done the same. Let's hope they don't go through with it.

Now what's a good card to supplement the Amex?

I don't see how there is any value left at all in this card, why would you bother with the $390? You can get 3.0 CX/SQ/$1 on Amex Plat Edge, right? Or 2.0 on Amex Bus Accelerator. As well as SPG. And 0.75 SQ/$1 on Citi Signature. All seem better optimised for the same or lower cost.

Perhaps there could be an outcry and they might change their mind, if enough people call and threaten to cancel? I think you really would need to talk to Retentions, not just the first operator.

Was that the last SPG MasterCard/Visa in Australia?

Very disappointing. They will be losing me as a customer if they ditch SPG.

I still have an Edge and a Business Accelerator which covers all the Diners bases pretty well but the MasterCard is a tough one to replace effectively

Hmm ok. Don't know where on the website it says that they are getting rid of those transfers but I'll take your word for it.

I can't see it anywhere. When I rang up last week said I'd get something with my statement. Got my statement today had a flier about pdf statements which I'll enroll for and change of insurer but nothing else.

I can't see it anywhere. When I rang up last week said I'd get something with my statement. Got my statement today had a flier about pdf statements which I'll enroll for and change of insurer but nothing else.

Wow the plot thickens, selective letters going out? Or just some letters not getting posted out?

Wow the plot thickens, selective letters going out? Or just some letters not getting posted out?

The 'new' partners (CX EY MH TG, I think) are on the rewards site but I too cant find anything about removals.

I had the insurer and pdf statement info only with my statement yesterday

Wow that's fascinating, as, I know someone else who has same statement cycle as me and only received the insurer statement as well. I did actually phone DC afterwards and they confirmed on the phone that everyone was affected, and that everyone would be receiving the letter, as they are no longer partnering with all those programs. How clunky. Why don't you phone them up and tell them you heard a rumour and ask if it's true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back