No more Amex 100k points offers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinks485

Intern
I’ve noticed the past few months that all of Amex’s offers have been at the 75k mark – not 100k, as we got used to.

I thought maybe it was a short-term thing as the first couple of 75k offers were ‘exclusives’ available through specific sites, but then this month we saw ‘public’ offers of 75k for Explorer and now today 75k for Velocity Platinum card. Both used to be 100k.

So now I’m wondering, is this a permanent thing?? Maybe Amex doesn’t need to try as hard to get new customers now that the banks have dropped their Amex cards along with the perks on many Visas/MCs.

This is going to disappoint a lot of people who’ve been waiting for 100k offers.

Anyone with thoughts / insights?

Anyone with thoughts / insights?

The key 'insight' (rather, my2c) is to consider opportunity cost.

Let's say you expect a 100k offer to come up in 3 months' time.
Now let's say you sign up today, and manage to earn >25k points over and above your current card (say a 0.75PPD Visa/MC) in 3 months.

Well, you'd have been better off in signing up today, than to wait for that 100k offer.

Of course, if I had this level of clairvoyance I'd be playing the stock market so deftly I'd never worry about points again. But just something to think about. If you clear a lot of $$ every month, where raking in 25k pts in a matter of weeks is easy play, you may as well sign up today and trigger the next waiting period (after earning that bonus & cancelling) earlier rather than later. To your point about the RBA's interchange stinging bank-issued Amexes, it definitely leaves Amex in a slightly more competitive position, thus not having to offer as much in terms of points bait.

Last edited:
I think the various RBA changes have reduced the profitability of the CC programs (as was the design).
Hence less promotions for new customers, and reduced transfer rates on some of the bank cards

I think the various RBA changes have reduced the profitability of the CC programs (as was the design).
Hence less promotions for new customers, and reduced transfer rates on some of the bank cards

Strictly speaking OP is talking about Amex-issued Amexes.

The RBA interchange rules specifically exclude direct-issuer CCs; Amex-issued Amexes are doing just fine. It's a reduction of indirect competition with bank-issued Amexes that is one logical (even if ultimately untrue) explanation for why Amex aren't necessarily as pandering with their signup bonuses: because they don't need to be.

100K+ offers will return.

They were never as frequent as 75K or less offers.

Last edited:
I got 75k offer in January this year, then 3 weeks later there was a 100k offer for the exact same card Amex Qantas Ultimate, which is now back to 75k so they do periodically still do 100k offers.

I also agree the 100k point offers will come back, patients is the key though. The Platinum Charge finished a 120k point offer just over a month ago too.

Keep your eye on the credit card offers forum and the referrals forum and stuff will come up

There was also the infamous 115K Qf pts offer from NAB in association with Points Hacks ending in June this year :).....in the end due to NAB's IT meltdown, I ended up with the 115K QF pts, refund of $395 annual fee and $$ in compensation:)

100K bonus offers for both the Amex Explorer & Amex Qantas Ultimate:
30/1/18 to 9/4/18
4/7/17 to 2/10/17

While it's a little longer then the last space between 100K bonus offers, I wouldn't be too concerned given the most recent ended in April. There's also been the 120K bonus for Platinum Charge last month, so I doubt they've finished up with large bonus offer promotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back