Nine nights in Mauritius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallfont

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Silver
Mrs Tallfont and I are visiting Mauritius on our annual New Year getaway in December.

Staying at the Intercontinental resort.

Just wondering if anyone had suggestions on "must do and see" things in Mauritius?

Also I have read on several sites that hiring a car is the best way to get around. Drive on the same side as Australia, good roads, sensible but slow traffic except on the motorways. Any opinions, suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Many thanks in advance!

There's not an awful lot to do in Mauritius. It's all about the beach. Any Mauritius travel guide will give you a list of things to do... I'd pick a couple that take your fancy and perhaps head out every second day (a day of rest in between).

I would however recommend Ile aux Cerfs. It's another beach, but stunning. And a couple of good restaurants. Fresh heart of palm is a highlight in Mauritius.

Hi Talfont. I'm actually from mauritius and there are many things to do in mauritius. Yes do get a car and drive around as it is much easier. There are some traffic but mainly in Port Louis (capital) just like every other main cities around the world. You have peak and off peak traffic.

It's not all about beaches, only tourists who have not done there research before getting there but once you venture out of your comfort zone (resort) see below. These are just some highlights

Port Louis - the grand bazaar, Caudan Waterfront / shopping arcades, museums- view the oldest stamp(s) issued in the british empire apart from GB , visit the second oldest racecourse in the world, the parliament house, panoramic view of the city from La Citadelle, botanical garden-one of the oldest in the world to name a few.

However around the island you can visit -

Chamarel for the seven different coloured earth and waterfall

Casela Nature Park for its collectins of birds around the world , giant tortoises, zebras, tigers/lions where you can walk with them, hire buggies or quad bikes and tour the park and see animals and pat them, like as if you are on mainland africa.

Le Morne - Great beach and mountain background, UNESCO World Heritage List

Grand Port - south east of island, dutch ruins, oldest settlement in mauritius before the french arrived and witness ruins excavations.

Cap Malheureux - northern tip of mauritius

Curepipe - visit trou aux cerf- extinct volcano and panoramic view of the town and part of the island.

For beaches take your pick but do see at least 4 of them on all 4x side of the island as they are all different in terms of temp water, colour, the surroundings. You can feed dolphins, deep-sea fishing/marlin, scuba diving- good marine life, rock or mountain climbing- average 2 to 4 hours to climb pending your fitness or take a helicopter there, eat as many fresh fruit and vegetables as you can due to the rich volcanic soil.

Info available at travel agents, book shops, internet, take your pick.

Enjoy

Stay in the hotel is my advice. Its all about the beach/resort in Mauritius. Not a lot else to see. Avoid the capital.

It's not all about beaches, only tourists who have not done there research before getting there but once you venture out of your comfort zone (resort) see below. These are just some highlights

Great post. Difference between advice of a 'local' and that of other tourists! I couldn't imagine going to a country and just staying on the beach (except under extreme fatigue recovery circumstances :cool:). What's the point in that?

Last edited:
Hi Talfont. I'm actually from mauritius and there are many things to do in mauritius. Yes do get a car and drive around as it is much easier. There are some traffic but mainly in Port Louis (capital) just like every other main cities around the world. You have peak and off peak traffic.

Mauritius is a great place. Beautiful scenery and lovely people. We lived there for many years.

There are some points of interest. Just getting to and from them can be a long drive and the results aren't always worthwhile. The Inter.Continental is a bit better located though. I don't know if there are really any absolute 'must sees', but if you have a spare day where you really want to go out exploring then the places kestrel's list are a all options. Many of which could be combined in a single day rather than separate trips.

One thing about driving... while it is ok for Aussie and Brits because they drive on the same side we do, it's not the case for the vast majority of tourists from Europe. Accidents can happen because tourists hire a motorcycle and then on their way home forget where they are and drive on the other side of the road. Mauritius has a population of 1.2 million, and the stats show 125 fatalities (deaths) on the road in 2014, 3610 accidents involving injury. 42% of those on motor bikes.That's a huge number.per population. If you're going to drive, I'd aim to be back at the hotel well before sunset.

Mauritius is a 'relax' rather than adventure holiday. The hotels are almost always half board, with different themed nights for dinner along with live entertainment (at least one night will be a beach sega). You wake up, have a delicious breakfast, head down to the beach. Go swimming, maybe para-sailing. Have lunch. Get dressed and go to dinner and then watch the entertainment. It's a very easy and relaxing holiday.

Port Louis - the grand bazaar, Caudan Waterfront / shopping arcades, museums- view the oldest stamp(s) issued in the british empire apart from GB , visit the second oldest racecourse in the world, the parliament house, panoramic view of the city from La Citadelle, botanical garden-one of the oldest in the world to name a few.

Casela Nature Park for its collectins of birds around the world , giant tortoises, zebras, tigers/lions where you can walk with them, hire buggies or quad bikes and tour the park and see animals and pat them, like as if you are on mainland africa.

Grand Port - south east of island, dutch ruins, oldest settlement in mauritius before the french arrived and witness ruins excavations.

Curepipe - visit trou aux cerf- extinct volcano and panoramic view of the town and part of the island.

For beaches take your pick but do see at least 4 of them on all 4x side of the island as they are all different in terms of temp water, colour, the surroundings. You can feed dolphins, deep-sea fishing/marlin, scuba diving- good marine life, rock or mountain climbing- average 2 to 4 hours to climb pending your fitness or take a helicopter there, eat as many fresh fruit and vegetables as you can due to the rich volcanic soil.

Enjoy
Great summary thank you Mel_Traveller - I am heading there in 3 weeks - any special recommendations for scuba diving?

Great summary thank you Mel_Traveller - I am heading there in 3 weeks - any special recommendations for scuba diving?

Not my summary! My advice was a more relaxed holiday, just enjoying the resort, or perhaps one outing, probably to Ile aux cerf island.

Enjoy
Always the best information a place comes from a local - thank you. Any recommendations on which scuba dive would be the best - I will only be doing one!

If you head to Grand Baie north of mauritius or Grand Port south east of mauritius there are numerous ships wrecks from 16th to early 20th century. The East coast of mauritius is ideal for diving during the period you are heading there as the ocean is calmer and clearer. The wrecks are mainly scattered all around of the island. There's around 300 or 400 or so wrecks.
Most ships at the time did not know the island is almost surrounded by reefs hence the wrecks. Other times via cyclones.

Make sure you bring your scuba license or you will not be allowed. The more profile ship wrecks to explore you need permission from the local area or the government.One of the more famous ships wrecks is hms sirius during the napoleonic wars at grand port, you can still dive and see whats left of and many canons scattered on the floor. If little fish and other marine life is your thing then there's plenty all around the island due to coral reefs around the island. I think one dive is not enough as all four sides of the island offers something different, water clarity varies and marine life too.

I'm not a diver myself but some of my friends are and they know where to go. Any one who is from mauritius knows where to dive or snorkle or where wrecks are to explore. All you need to do is ask the people there especially at your resort will put you in touch with the right people.

I've been to mauritius 3x times since ive come to australia and the the last 2x occasions i rented a car and hired a local driver to take us around. You can always negotiate as to when to pick you up or how long you want the driver drive you around. To me it sounds easy as i'm from there as i know the ins and outs but again do ask your resort or where you hire a car from.

Driving wise it is the same as any other country in the world, accident here and there.It's all about safety and common sense. If you have a gps you will be ok if not then you would struggle to drive at night finding your way around in a foreign country/island. Just like in australia many motorcyclist and cyclists are killed on the road. The population has increased to around 1.35 million 2016/17. The information below from "MEL_Traveller" is 2014 and outdated.

"One thing about driving... while it is ok for Aussie and Brits because they drive on the same side we do, it's not the case for the vast majority of tourists from Europe. Accidents can happen because tourists hire a motorcycle and then on their way home forget where they are and drive on the other side of the road. Mauritius has a population of 1.2 million, and the stats show 125 fatalities (deaths) on the road in 2014, 3610 accidents involving injury. 42% of those on motor bikes.That'suge number.per population. If you're going to drive, I'd aim to be back at the hotel well before sunset."

refer to this if accidents statistics is your thing: Statistics Mauritius - Road Transport and Road Traffic Accident Statistics (Island of Mauritius) - Year 2016

The highlights i mentioned at the start of the post are all scattered around the island so it is not possible to see it all in one day or two but rather about 5 days if you go all out from 10am to 6pm. I've done it many times and it is not easy. If some one takes you it will be quicker as they know the roads and short cuts and all but if you do it by yourself it will take longer as you obviously not familiar with the environment.

Driving wise it is the same as any other country in the world, accident here and there.It's all about safety and common sense. If you have a gps you will be ok if not then you would struggle to drive at night finding your way around in a foreign country/island. Just like in australia many motorcyclist and cyclists are killed on the road. The population has increased to around 1.35 million 2016/17. The information below from "MEL_Traveller" is 2014 and outdated.

"One thing about driving... while it is ok for Aussie and Brits because they drive on the same side we do, it's not the case for the vast majority of tourists from Europe. Accidents can happen because tourists hire a motorcycle and then on their way home forget where they are and drive on the other side of the road. Mauritius has a population of 1.2 million, and the stats show 125 fatalities (deaths) on the road in 2014, 3610 accidents involving injury. 42% of those on motor bikes.That'suge number.per population. If you're going to drive, I'd aim to be back at the hotel well before sunset."

refer to this if accidents statistics is your thing: Statistics Mauritius - Road Transport and Road Traffic Accident Statistics (Island of Mauritius) - Year 2016

Unfortunately those stats are even worse :( And very sad given such a small population. Common sense is one thing... but you can't help the actions of other drivers.

Sorry late reply, laptop crashed big time.

Yep totally agree regarding stats for this small great island. Personally i would like to see less cars in the capital city and replaced with some light rail. Speed limits reduced everywhere on the island would be my first priority.

I hope some of the info was helpful and you have a good time in Mauritius Millie. I'm looking at going there again in the next 12 months.

kestrel 1977, we are having a week in Mauritius in late February staying at the Hilton in Flic en Flac. We have booked a rental car from the airport for the week. We had planned to do a bit of touring, to many of the places you suggested, but now I'm a little apprehensive given the comments here on the perils of the roads in Mauritius.

As an alternative, how practical and expensive is it to use taxis say from the airport to the hotel and for say a day trip into Port Louis? Is there any passable public transport suitable for tourists? We are just looking at alternatives in light of the comments.

hey turtlemichael. I'm happy you are travelling to Mauritius soon and was just reading that Mauritius has been voted as 1x of the 10x countries to visit for 2018 from "Lonely Planet".

According to the roads, these are small comments. Trust me the roads are good with bitumen.
I've attached some photos taken from the internet of what the major roads look like. Majority are 2 lanes except for the highways, then you have the village roads with the odd potholes here and there.

I've been to many places especially europe and their roads are not better than Mauritius. You will be very surprise on the island, i was when i was last there.

I'm surprised Hilton as one of the 4/5 stars resorts on the island does not offer some sort of airport shuttle. There are other types of shuttle buses, mini vans of course taxis that are reasonably priced.

When you convert the currency compare to what we earn in Australia taxis are cheap but if you want to use the same driver for the whole day maybe you can negotiate with the driver. o ask the concierge for some advice first.

Buses are very very cheap but maybe crowded at peak times and may be long due to traffic depending where you are heading. I'm not sure of the timetables there.

I wouldn't recommend driving at night from the airport as you might get lost if this is your 1st time on the island.

Attachments

• Mauritius-country-road.jpg
    Mauritius-country-road.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Mauritius-highways.jpg
    Mauritius-highways.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 4
  • secondary-road.jpg
    secondary-road.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4
  • two-lane-primary-road.jpg
    two-lane-primary-road.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4
kestrel 1977, we are having a week in Mauritius in late February staying at the Hilton in Flic en Flac. We have booked a rental car from the airport for the week. We had planned to do a bit of touring, to many of the places you suggested, but now I'm a little apprehensive given the comments here on the perils of the roads in Mauritius.

As an alternative, how practical and expensive is it to use taxis say from the airport to the hotel and for say a day trip into Port Louis? Is there any passable public transport suitable for tourists? We are just looking at alternatives in light of the comments.

I don't think driving per se is such a problem, as long as you exercise caution (and I'd probably avoid night driving).

It's more the thought that there is a full week's worth of activities and sightseeing to do. I'd probably avoid taking public transport, but it might be worth looking at whether you can arrange a day tour to take you to the main sights, and then a separate day to Ile aux Cerfs.

Sorry late reply, laptop crashed big time.

Yep totally agree regarding stats for this small great island. Personally i would like to see less cars in the capital city and replaced with some light rail. Speed limits reduced everywhere on the island would be my first priority.

I hope some of the info was helpful and you have a good time in Mauritius Millie. I'm looking at going there again in the next 12 months.
Thanks for everyone's advice and help with Mauritius. Have returned - had a very relaxing 5 days in Grand Baie. Didn't even bother with the capital - did a catamaran cruise to Gabriel Island which included lunch, drinks, snorkelling and spending a few hours on the beach at Gabriel.
Thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful hospitality of Mauritius Attractions on the Calypso catamaran.

Dived with Sunset Diving Grand Baie, just the Aquarium dive which was in the bay, as I didn't have much time and it had been awhile since I had dived.

Stayed at Beach Villas in Grand Baie, a little run down however we managed the poolside rooms that had been renovated. Good accomodation but outrageous prices for very ordinary dining (particularly alcohol)- the most expensive we experienced during our stay.

Enjoy your return in 12 months! Next time for me I think I'll try the Seychelles!

a week in Mauritius in late February staying at the Hilton in Flic en Flac

Hi Michael, would very much appreciate a short update on the Hilton when you return.
Some friends have invited us to do a discoverer cruise Mauritius/Mauritius in Nov and I have a few HH free nights to use.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back