Newbie with a dilema re points

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsb

Hi all. Have just joined the site and been throughout the threads on cards and points and have picked up some great tips. Am getting form this year 1m+ AMEX points pa (have changed the way I do business and wish I'd thought about this earlier and reckon I've missed half a dozen free P class flights to LHR over the last few years - live and learn :oops:) and want to know if anyone knows about a site that calculates what I can use these for these outside of flights. Would like to use on some hotels and travel vouchers, but the time its taking to calculate is challenging.

Also, does anyone know how easy it is to redeem AMEX points once transferred on TG? Am thinking of a J flight to ROM (I know its not QF or SQ for comfort, anything's better than Y when you're over 6ft and I like BKK). I'm nervous about transferring to TG only to find I can't redeem. Am also an NZ FF, should I just transfer to them and redeem there, although I always find their system hard to understand for partner airlines.

I just want to use for one descent J class trip a year and burn as little of my own cash as possible so any tips would be welcome. BTW, am over the need to support the red tailed one, so not addicted to OW.

If you don't care about the quality of the business class offering (sq, Nz & qf v different from TG IMHO) then I believe on solely Amex trf rate virgin Atlantic is a good option for you to redeem especially when bonus point offers are about...

Airpoints (Nz) never seem to make sense to me even though I love the Y product when going to the US on a paid fare.

TG have good award availability to other *A for J fares au - eu and I can see no reason why the wouldn't for their own FF. Check the ANA tool if you have specific dates.

Hope that helps

THX 3eef, hadn't thought Virgin Atlantic.

What is the ANA tool?

Totally agree about the NZ product. Got an upgrade on a 777 to AKL, nice J class

THX 3eef, hadn't thought Virgin Atlantic.

What is the ANA tool?

Totally agree about the NZ product. Got an upgrade on a 777 to AKL, nice J class

*A member ANA have an award availability checker for *A award / redemption flights that an be accessed by members of the ANA FF program. It shows availability on all *A carriers on a specific route and is great to check overall availability.

Search google for ANA availability checker and you will find a wealth of info on how to use.

My recommendation to anyone looking to use their Amex MR points for travel is to use them directly with:
A. Webjet
B. Harvey World Travel
C. Travelscene
D. American Express Travel

Here is why:
When utilizing them through one of the above mentioned travel agents they are redeemed on dollar value of a point, for any flight and on any airline.

If you have loyalty to an airline book the tickets for that airline through the agent, using your amex points.

Many airlines don't give SCs when you utilize points stored with them, and either charge you a motza to redeem on the flight you want or have lots of restrictions. Utilizing the above directly with Amex points still gives you the SC you rightfully deserve.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back