New Bonus points partners until 31/3/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that explains this, although I find Air Asia a bit of an odd bonus partner

20/10/2009 AIR ASIA X (AUST) $164.00
- Platinum Credit Card Bonus Points 0 82
- Air Asia Bonus Points 0 328

Very tempting that Vaustralia flights will earn 'normal points' plus 3 bonus points.

And if your traveling to LA (or othe places where Southwest go) from LA, look at Southwest. It has a sale on atm - for less than 24 hours - for flights b/w 5th January and 10th February. Fares are from $25 and that includes 2 checked bags free. :D Tempting

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone see the Membership Rewards advertisements during the week? Something about how you can use your MR points on a large range of airlines. (I can't find it again to verify the actual words).

Combined with these bonus points I would guess this is the AMEX answer to QF's move to direct sweep cards and hence locking other players out of a big chunk of the points business.

Did anyone see the Membership Rewards advertisements during the week? Something about how you can use your MR points on a large range of airlines. (I can't find it again to verify the actual words).

I just walked into the local Harvey World Travel Agency and booked airfares and hotel to Hong Kong using MR points. The TA took my Amex details and the next morning 600,00 points had been deducted from my MR account. The rate of conversion was $100 for 10,000 points.
The TA explained to me that I could use my MR points for any airline,hotel,cruise,tour etc etc. that Harvey World sell.
Points can also be used at any Travelscene Agency or even by calling MR direct.

I just walked into the local Harvey World Travel Agency and booked airfares and hotel to Hong Kong using MR points. The TA took my Amex details and the next morning 600,00 points had been deducted from my MR account. The rate of conversion was $100 for 10,000 points.
The TA explained to me that I could use my MR points for any airline,hotel,cruise,tour etc etc. that Harvey World sell.

Pretty poor value if you ask me!

600,000 points for $6,000 :shock:

I value 600,000 points at around $45,000 when used for J class redeption on QF at least and slightly better when used on SQ.

Pretty poor value if you ask me!

600,000 points for $6,000 :shock:

I value 600,000 points at around $45,000 when used for J class redeption on QF at least and slightly better when used on SQ.
Well it might be poor value in those terms. But that is the price on convenience. For a start there is the efficiency of only accumulating points in MR instead of across multiple airlines. Sure the value is better but to have the choice to use 600,000 points with QF or SQ, means that you have to have 1.2 million points. :shock:

The lower value also buys greater flexibility for booking flights. A redeemption requires the willingness to vary travelling dates and needs to be booked 12 months in advance to actually get the reward seat. Someone can walk into a TA at any time and if the seat is available they can use their MR points. You should also be able to earn points with the airline for the flight, unlike an award booking.

I'm currently in the process of trying to weight up these various factors to decide if it worth getting out of QF direct sweep cards entirely. Yes it is expensive but flexibility is good.

Need to be careful with some of the bonus points partners as you will only get the bonus points if booking through a specific webpage link provided in the fine print. Off to get some tyres from Bob Jane....

There are some cool new bonus partners to choose from! Just bought tyres from Bob Jane and am buying all my petrol at BP now... easy way to rack up a few extra points! :p :p Oh and will definitely be going to Vintage Cellars too, with the 2 bonus points + 30% off for 12 bottles, makes it cheaper than Dan Murphy's and helps the points balance! :mrgreen:

I like the BP - Bonus 1.5 points per $1

Means 3 points per $1 spent there :mrgreen:

$55 to fill my car normally so that's 155 points!

I was looking to do the same for a December Hong Kong trip, but instead topped up some points on Flying Club with the 20% points bonus and booked tickets through there. Had a booking through hoteltravel.com that I cancelled with no fee after seeing hotelclub.com.au promotion with Amex (5 bonus points per $), hadn't used that site before. But with bonus points, a $250 AUD saving over the 7 night stay, and credit towards the next booking as well, it worked out quite well.

But it took a little mucking about due to award availability, managed to get 3 into upper class but still waiting for one more seat to open up for the return leg so I can upgrade the existing booking. Depends on how much work you want to do yourself as to how you value the different options.

Bonus points from BP and Vintage Cellars are great.

However, I note that although I received bonus points on my Gold Charge Card, I did not receive them on my Qantas American Express Premium Card.

Could be this was an error, or could be that bonus points are not earned on Direct Earn Cards.

Any experience with this or comments?

Some cards are excluded:

All Qantas American Express Cards and Cards not issued by American Express are excluded from this promotion. Offers not available for Corporate Cardmembers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back