Question - New Air NZ Flyer? Options | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question New Air NZ Flyer? Options

Kefuan

Hi Guys,

Sit spread equally across Qantas and Virgin programs. Qantas gold historically through my old workplace and most recently on Virgin due to my newish workplace.

On my next trip due to having to tie NZ into the equation they've booked me OOL - AKL - LAX - AKL - OOL all on Air NZ.

From what I've read airmiles is pretty low return, and I'm not too sure how often I'll actually be flying this route (probably once a year at max).

Any better option than just creating an airmiles account and gaining points on that? I see you can add KrisFlyer and other programs, but from what I can tell unless its a codeshare booked through those airlines originally you don't gain anything. Just wondering if signing up to any other programs would be beneficial as neither qantas or virgin are star alliance?

Would just be flying economy and booking class is Y/P

Last edited:

eric2011

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I do that same trip myself except I go out of BNE, 777-300 all the way. I get 624 airports dollars for the trip. I find them useful as we go to NZ a fair bit as well and they are handy for internal trips. It also gets you into the Silver tier which gives you 2 passes into the ANZ lounges. Now days the lounges are in most of the regional terminals as well (like Tauranga, Rotorua etc)
Sorry, just read your last line, I am talking J, not Y

P.S I think there is some sort of tie up with NZ and QF now but don't know anything about it, someone else will fill you in I am sure.

serfty

Flights
My Map
Airpoints is a relatively poor rewards program but it may be that it better to get something rather than nothing at all.

Kefuan

Yeah totally, thanks for the replies.

I'll just throw my airports number in.

Cheers

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
You should be able to earn KrisFlyer miles for this trip. Might be more valuable than Airpoints.

You could also get a United status match and get lounge access/earn United miles for the trip. That only gives you 3 months of Star Alliance status though unless you do some flying on United to extend the status.

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
You should be able to earn KrisFlyer miles for this trip. Might be more valuable than Airpoints.
Might be able to earn KrisFlyer miles. Y earns, P does not.

Miles earning fares on KrisFlyer: Y B M H Q V W T
Fares showing availability OOL-LAX on Expert Flyer: Y B M H Q V W T L S G X K P

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Might be able to earn KrisFlyer miles. Y earns, P does not.

Miles earning fares on KrisFlyer: Y B M H Q V W T
Fares showing availability OOL-LAX on Expert Flyer: Y B M H Q V W T L S G X K P
Thanks for checking, I stand corrected.

I believe that most (all?) Air NZ fare classes do at least earn United miles, if you want another alternative to Airpoints.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elijames