Question - Need Urgent Advice exchanging Kenya Shillings | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question Need Urgent Advice exchanging Kenya Shillings

Cartmanizm

I got back from Kenya a few months ago and have KES 16,500 left over (around AUD $235 worth). I recently found out that Kenya is retiring the current 1,000 shilling note (in which I have 16 of them) on Oct 1, 2019, and it will expire worthless unless converted to the new note at a Kenyan bank prior to this date.

I've tried exchanging it at the major currency exchange places in Melbourne, however none of them will accept the 1,000 shilling note that is about to be retired and the fx wholesalers have stopped accepting them. Is anybody traveling back to Kenya in the next month or does anybody know where I can exchange this money?

Link to article on retiring of note:

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
I can't help, sorry, but just wanted to say welcome to posting on AFF and good luck!

exceladdict

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Can you contact the Kenyan embassy? I know it's a long shot but worth asking. There could be a staff member there willing to swap some old for new?

Cartmanizm

I can't help, sorry, but just wanted to say welcome to posting on AFF and good luck!
Thank you :), I broke my 7 year lurk streak on this post!

Can you contact the Kenyan embassy? I know it's a long shot but worth asking. There could be a staff member there willing to swap some old for new?
Their HQ is in ACT, and I don't believe they have an office in Melbourne. I will call them on Monday, although I don't have high hopes there.

I thought about mailing it back to a friend in Kenya, but they will probably charge me an extortion fee to release the package or it might disappear in the mailing system altogether! If it manages to reach my friend then I also lose everything ;).

I had previously sent around $275 worth of vitamins into Kenya when I was there, and DHL charged 80% in "importation fees" or $220 in addition to freight charges to clear the package.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt cha ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shekhar0607