Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurahn

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
I still had a (formerly known as Gold) NAB account with a Gold Visa Debit card attached (from the good old days when they didn't charge currency conversion fees) - I'd left it going as it was handy just to have a separate bank account for some things that wasn't attached to any of my main accounts, but finally got sick of having to transfer $5000 in and out of the account each month to avoid being charged the $10 monthly account fee. Finally decided to switch the account over to a (fee-free) NAB Classic Banking account. You can do this switch on the NAB website - great, I thought, and completed the application, including selecting the option to cancel my Gold Visa Debit card and replace it with a Standard one. When I selected my card colour (like I care!) it had a note to say that I would no longer be charged the $20 annual fee (which for some reason they never charged me anyway) but would miss out on the "great benefits" of holding on to the Gold Visa Debit. Whatever ...

So submitted the application and received an email the next day saying that the switch had been done. However, further down the email it mentioned "please be aware if you have a Gold Visa Debit card attached to your account, you will be charged a $20 annual fee. To avoid this fee, you will need to cancel your card ..." etc etc. WTF??? I thought maybe this was some sort of "standard paragraph" and was going to ignore it, but then rang NAB just in case only to be told that, despite me selecting that option during the switching process, that no, my Gold Visa Debit card had NOT been cancelled and I would have to visit a branch in person in order to cancel it.

Now I remember why I cancelled all my other accounts and credit card with NAB several years ago after a debacle with fraudulent transactions on my CC that took 3 months to resolve and to get the transactions reversed. They were bl**dy useless then and it doesn't seem like anything's changed!!!

Yes LOL ... although I'll be a lot happier tomorrow as I've now decided to close the account altogether when I go into the branch :). Can't be bothered dealing with NAB any more.

Some institutions just rub each of us the wrong way.... I'm with ANZ and have had a pretty good run with them...

Last time I went into my local anz branch to ask about their fees for depositing an international cheque, I was waiting for over half an hour because of their "ticket" system. After seeing half a dozen people getting served before me (and yet arriving after me), I decided to take my business elsewhere.

That's not to say nab have been good either:
- specifically told them to send the card to my home, but they first sent it to the branch where I applied for the product in person, then they sent it to my local branch..
- tried to change credit card products, but was told that I couldn't just transition across. So I had to cancel my existing card and sign up for a new one. Little did I know, they signed me up for the wrong product (despite me giving them the brochure for the qantas premium card and saying I wanted that one, they signed me up for the plain premium card).
- following that fiasco, I called them up to try to fix it before they actually sent the wrong card to me. After explaining the situation, I was asked "why didn't they just transfer you over??" . Fortunately (unfortunately?), the branch staff had managed to also stuff up cancelling my initial card, so we transferred that over and cancelled the nab premium application, which was what I wanted in the first place!

This is what I mean with NAB, in just about all the dealings i've had with them, it's been constant frustration and hassle after hassle. After the fraudulent transactions debacle I previously mentioned was sorted out, I wanted to cancel the CC as I'd decided to move most of my banking to another bank, and was told I had to go into a branch to cancel it. Spent half an hour waiting at the counter as the teller said she had to ring the credit card section first "in case they want to speak to you" and she was on hold to them for almost 30 minutes - and then they didn't need to speak to me anyway. Handed over the card, and thought that was that. However I noticed a few days later that the card was still showing on internet banking, so rang NAB only to be told that no, the credit card hadn't been cancelled and there was no record on the system of any request for it to be cancelled either! They then cancelled it immediately whilst I was on the phone.

Hence my frustration this time wih the transaction account when I've again requested a card be cancelled and NAB can't even seem to manage that!

The same thing happened to me a year and half ago or there abouts.

I was happy with the Gold Banking product, and when it was discontinued it was annoying but not the end of the world.
Got the letter saying I will automatically be transferred to classic banking, whatever.. but they had the gall to charge me a year or so later for gold card annual fee $20, despite there being no Gold product anymore, so after arguing they waived the $20, I went to a 'branch' to cancel it.
After all this hassle I cancelled my numerous accounts with them transferred all the money to Bank of Melbourne, started up a home loan with them, moved super from MLC(NAB) to BT.etc.

So for the sake of $20 they lost many thousands of dollars from me but the good thing is I realised how cough NAB actually are, Bank of Melb are fantastic!

Might get worse with the $40 million plus to be paid re the class action settlement.

Old thread I know but the title is right.

I cancelled a NAB CC over 9 months ago and I still get statements showing $0 spend every month. I have called 4 times initially and assured many times the account is in fact closed. I have then called almost every month to ask why I keep getting statements? Twice I've received NAB spam separate of the statement - home loan and credit increase offers. It really feels like im still an active customer.

My concern is that in 2 months I will be charged the annual fee and NAB will dig heels in and submit a credit report when I don't pay, also are they reporting my limit to Veda every month as a liability?

How hard is it to close a damn account? Any suggestions?

I cancelled a NAB CC over 9 months ago and I still get statements showing $0 spend every month. I have called 4 times initially and assured many times the account is in fact closed. I have then called almost every month to ask why I keep getting statements? Twice I've received NAB spam separate of the statement - home loan and credit increase offers. It really feels like im still an active customer.

My concern is that in 2 months I will be charged the annual fee and NAB will dig heels in and submit a credit report when I don't pay, also are they reporting my limit to Veda every month as a liability?

Ask for confirmation in writing that the account is closed? Which you really shouldn't have to do :rolleyes:

How did you close the account? Do you have confirmation of it?

I did 2 x NAB signups / cancellations, and also continue to get statements for both canceled cards.

I have account closure letters for both, it does seem strange

Ask for confirmation in writing that the account is closed? Which you really shouldn't have to do :rolleyes:

How did you close the account? Do you have confirmation of it?

Initially in person at the branch, subsequently via phone. No evidence or letter ever provided by NAB.

I agree it is odd, i have closed other accounts which might take 1-2 statement cycles to exit the system but this is crazy.

Initially in person at the branch, subsequently via phone. No evidence or letter ever provided by NAB.

I agree it is odd, i have closed other accounts which might take 1-2 statement cycles to exit the system but this is crazy.

I'd certainly ask for confirmation in writing

I cancelled a NAB CC over 9 months ago and I still get statements showing $0 spend every month. I have called 4 times initially and assured many times the account is in fact closed. I have then called almost every month to ask why I keep getting statements?

Does the Statement and/or Internet banking show there is an Available Limit. If Yes, its not closed, if No, it is 'closed'.
Banks do not completely shutdown credit cards for some time after a client requests closure inncase of any transactions floating around that have been delayed ( and possible chargebacks). This is much less of an issue today because of modern systems, but I still imagine it might be about 2 months.

It's also a retention technique. They know a lot of people cancel credit cards prior to applying for home loans, and afterwards they can just ring up and activate them again.

My concern is that in 2 months I will be charged the annual fee and NAB will dig heels in and submit a credit report when I don't pay,
obviously they are not going to default you over that, you likely do have proof that you requested closure. its a pain for you to follow up, but banks arent that brutal.

also are they reporting my limit to Veda every month as a liability?
Go to Veda and request a credit report. If they are still reporting you, they have breached the rules/law and you have another avenue for complaint, that they will need to treat seriously.

By the way, is this a Velocity CC? They have had problems with account maintenance on this product type for nearly 2 years (in some circumstances), and they appear unable to fix it.
On mine, in internet banking, it responds with an error when click on Account Details (ie limit, balance, payment due, etc).

Similar happened to me. Stay patient. I queried it, they said it would drop off after a couple of months and did.

Would have preferred if it was instant though.

You would have fun destroying them at FOS.

You would have fun destroying them at FOS.

Thats a bit overblown. The FOS wont be too bothered with something as trivial as this. Your account is closed however your customer profile is still open. NAB keeps your customer details forever not matter what products you have now/have had in the past.

Interesting how things are different. I find NAB much easier to deal with than say, ANZ.
Couldn't agree more. Usually I am waiting half an hour on the phone just to get through for ANZ (and that's with a Black card). NAB are much more quick and efficient. And they're all better than the Citibanks and HSBC's with their offshore contact centres. (Admittedly though they do pick up the phone very fast!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back