Multiple Amex Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynne

I currently have a Qantas Ultimate Card which I've had for 3 years (5 years if you count 2 years of gold). I've paid discount renewals the last 2 years but when renewal comes up in December I won't be keeping it if charged $450 with the new scheme. I use the card for bills, petrol, supermarkets, and travel roughly 25% each.

I'm checking out the alternative now and am considering signing up for multiple cards to get some good value benefits. Looking at 6 cards including retaining the Ultimate if discounted.

I've just achieved Qantas gold status so I'd prefer QF pts at the moment but not 100% necessary.

1. Chartered Accountants Platinum Edge
Pros: Discount annual fee ($150), Free flight (but only if you join Ascent/QF rewards also available but no flight), $150 David Jones Voucher pays for the first year fee. 3pts for supermarket, 2 for petrol
Cons: No QF points unless you sacrifice flight. The 0.5pts scale.

2. Chartered Accountants Platinum Reserve
Pros: Discount annual fee ($295), Free flight Virgin AND QF reward points, David Jones $250 voucher virtually pays sign up fee. Same points scale as QF Ultimate for $150 cheaper
Cons: Same point scale as QF ultimate.

3. American Express Velocity
Pros: $350 joining fee for same card as QF ultimate, 50,000 points sign up bonus, free flight.
Cons: Same point scale as QF Ultimate.

4. ANZ Platinum Amex
Pros: 40,000 point bonus for $295, 1.5 pts per $1 for all spending categories (will be one of the best on market after 22 July for bill paying).
Cons: Expensive annual fee without the bonus in future years.

ANZ I am certain I qualify for bonus. The terms are inconclusive on whether I definitely get the 50,000 for Velocity "Offer only available to new American Express Card members who apply, are approved by 31 July 2013 and spend $500 in the first 3 months of American Express Velocity Card membership. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after the $500 spend benchmark has been met for the 50,000 Velocity Points to be awarded to the Card member's Velocity Platinum Account. This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.".

I could also be interested in the $99 David Jones Card which gets 11,250 QF points and 2.25 pts per $ for petrol and supermarkets.

How much would Amex police the multiple cards?

How are the Plat Edge and Plat Reserve going to get QF points without Ascent Premium?

The Edge they've negotiated to give you the choice of QF Rewards or Ascent but sacrificing the Virgin flight if you choose QF Rewards. The Reserve they appear to have negotiated the flight separate to the choice of rewards program.

The Edge they've negotiated to give you the choice of QF Rewards or Ascent but sacrificing the Virgin flight if you choose QF Rewards. The Reserve they appear to have negotiated the flight separate to the choice of rewards program.

That's pretty cool!

I think it's 2 charge cards but don't recall a limit on credit cards.

OK, so I've been approved for the ANZ card, I did that first as the 40,000 points will come in handy at the moment. I've decided to apply for the Edge first of the non-bank cards. Mainly because that card is free money. $150 David Jones Gift Voucher for the $150 card fee plus the free Virgin flight. That process has told me there will be a 5 to 10 business day period before being notified. Happy to take those Velocity points for that much non-point benefit in the first year. Will re-evaluate towards the David Jones basic card in 12 months time. I'll wait until I've got the Edge before applying for the Reserve.

You can hold maximum of 2 Amex Credit Cards, and at least 1 Charge card.

I have Engineers Australia (EA) Plat Edge card + Virgin Plat Amex (50K offer) myself. Once I have the 50K points I may switch back to EA Platinum Reserve.

For affinity cards you definitely can choose between free Ascent or QF Awards. But if you want QF award and no free flights you may as well sign up QF Discovery Amex. For me I choose Ascent.

I would go the Amex Platinum charge for $900 and 80K points. The points are sufficient for a business class return flight to Asia and on top of that you get complimentary Marco Polo Gold and Priority Pass for lounge access as well as a Platinum Reserve card for the free flight.

I got the Chartered Accountants Platinum Reserve as my complimentary card and I'm just waiting on the $250 DJs card now!

I was told (last year) that one could have three credit cards. Maybe she meant two credit and one charge.
You can definitely have 2 charge cards. 3 credit cards and 2 charge cards sounds like it would be about right (although I'd be surprised that one would only be allowed 3 credit cards).

3 cards is the max.

Not sure if you can have 3 CC or not.

But you can definitely have Plat Charge, Plat Reserve and Plat Edge...but no more as I discussed this about 2 years back with my Amex Rep.

I have a CPA Plat Reserve, a Plat Edge and a Plat Charge and just recently applied for another Plat Reserve through the Plat Charge - have not received a reply on my application and its been 2 weeks. Perhaps you guys are right, 3 CC is the Max! I will follow them up in a weeks time and let you know how I go.

3 cards is the max.

Not sure if you can have 3 CC or not.

But you can definitely have Plat Charge, Plat Reserve and Plat Edge...but no more as I discussed this about 2 years back with my Amex Rep.

I used to have three Amex (issued) credit cards. Cancelled one and the option was open for me to reopen it if I changed my mind...

A far cry from the days where Amex only allowed one credit card.

I don't think bank issued Amex cards really matter or are assessed.

I used to have three Amex (issued) credit cards. Cancelled one and the option was open for me to reopen it if I changed my mind...

A far cry from the days where Amex only allowed one credit card.

I don't think bank issued Amex cards really matter or are assessed.
I also used to have three Amex credit cards,Ultimate,Premium & Maximiser.Cancelled Ultimate when they refused to approve a fee waiver and accepted a targeted mail promotion for new Amex card with bonus QFF points offer and ticked box on application to keep existing Amex cards. Amex processed the application for the new card by closing the Premium card , disregarding my request to maintain preexisting Amex cards. I telephoned Amex to advise them that I did not wish to close any cards only to be advised maximum of two credit cards permitted.I told them to cancel my application.

Currently have 4 Amex Cards

1 Supplementary
1 Corporate
1 David Jones
1 Qantas Discovery

No issues, except that 3 American Express online accounts are required for the combination above.

Currently have 4 Amex Cards

1 Supplementary
1 Corporate
1 David Jones
1 Qantas Discovery

No you have 3 Amex Accounts. The Supp does not count as it is off someones else's Amex Account....and so it does not rate you as a card-member for it.

Oh okay, I guess that means I couldnt apply for a Personal charge card if I wanted to?

Oh okay, I guess that means I couldnt apply for a Personal charge card if I wanted to?

You can have 3 Amex issued Cards.

Banked issued Amexes for example do not count.
If your accounts are with Amex direct, then you will need to drop a card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back